HiRez Poll Wilson, Steven - 4 1/2 [BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Steven Wilson - 4 1/2

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Only just picked this up (at the bargain price of £7) - really loving it , great mix and content , feel the need to delve into other SW / Porcupine Tree releases now - its a 9 from me.

This is my first review since I finished my new dedicated, Atmos capable room (7.2.4) a few days ago, although I'm starting with a review of a 5.1 mix. I've put so much time and passion (and money!) on it, and spent basically all my free time in the last 2 months finishing it up. For the first time I could place the speakers exactly where I wanted, and add as much acoustic treatment as needed. Sounds great after the calibration (which took a few days until I felt I got it right). I always thought my previous 5.1 room sounded quite decent for a non dedicated space, but this is on another level! Better speakers, better acoustic treatment, correct angles, a lot more time spent on system calibration... it even looks a lot better! To say that I'm excited it's a big understatement :love: . I'm going to be writing many more reviews from now on (don't worry, I'm not going to spam the forum).

I've decided to start with this one because I know it inside out, and "Vermillioncore" is one of my personal demo tracks for a 5.1 system, so I think it's a good choice.

For some reason, unlike most other SW fans I know, I never really warmed up to Hand. Cannot. Erase. I LOVE his first 3 solo albums, and I can understand why many see HCE as his crowning achievement if I look at its musical elements in an objective way, but it doesn't strike a chord with me. I like it, and there's no doubt "Routine", "Regret #9" or "Ancestral" are great songs, but... it leaves me somewhat cold. Somehow, 4 1/2 connected with me again after that slight disappointment (I also love To the Bone, by the way). Funny, since it's an album made of leftovers.

The sound quality of this album is reference stuff for me. Great stereo mix (I always check out the stereo mixes first), great production. Nice visuals during the playback (typical Lasse Hoile style photography, but focusing more on beauty than on being disturbing, as he often does). The 5.1 mix, I love it. For most of the album I woudn't say it's hugely aggressive, but as I said before I consider "Vermillioncore" demo 5.1 material. I'm a bit surprised no one else mentioned this, since it immediately struck me as stunning. I find the mix of this new version of "Don't Hate Me" particularly brilliant as well - and that drum sound is perfection! However, despite loving Ninet's vocals, I don't think her contribution elevates the song - the original is so good there was nothing that could be improved IMO.

Overall, I'm giving this a 9. I was tempted to give it a 10, but I'll reserve that for the truly outstanding stuff.

Back