Woodstock, August 15, 1969

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnN

RepeatTullRepeat
Best Woodstock Performances: Hendrix, The Who & More at 1969 Festival - 08/15/2024
Thirty-three bands played in total, and there was even an impressive list of could’ve-beens: Lang made a run at the Beatles, for instance, but could only get John Lennon to offer a basically non-existent Plastic Ono Band, which wound up making its debut a month later at the Toronto Rock and Roll Revival. Bob Dylan was invited but never showed. The Rolling Stones, Simon & Garfunkel, The Doors, The Moody Blues, The Guess Who, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull and Love were among acts that turned down offers. The Jeff Beck Group canceled its slated performance after breaking up shortly before it. Iron Butterfly attempted to change the day it would perform at the last minute and never made it to the site.

1723755123334.jpeg

Freddie Stone:

All we need is a drummer, for people who only need a beat, yeah
I'm gonna add a little guitar, and make it easy to move your feet

1723755302109.jpeg

Larry Graham:

I'm gonna add some bottom, so that the dancers, they just can't hide

1723755419536.jpeg

Sly Stone:

You might like to hear my organ, I said ride, Sally ride, now...

I have the FLAC files of the anniversary version that came out (in a large wooden box -- all you surround box complainers) as every known band on stage in sequence (missing a bit of Jimmy Hendrix over some copyright nonsense) as well as the dialogue in-between, basically the entire weekend. Have to dig it out and give a play . . . will probably sleep through it anyway. The Jefferson Airplane were good, Grace's complaints about lack of sleep, no toilets, etc., aside.

Last edited:
Yep. Time for my annual viewing of the greatest Rock documentary ever made. Cueing up the directors cut and extras now. I still remember the first time I saw it in a theater when I was 13. Made as big an impact on me as seeing The Beatles the first time they were on Ed Sullivan. The Who, Sly, Airplane, Santana, TYA, CSN&Y, Canned Heat, Hendrix.....blisssssss.

I've seen these fan assembled Woodstock "complete recordings" sharing around. Using the best released sources and filling the gaps with the best bootleg sources. Updated periodically when new official releases come around and new bootlegs are uncovered. Commendable effort in all that! I don't have the hours for that kind of listening!

Pirated stuff to be clear but coming from fans aiming to surpass the official releases more than sell a bootleg.

Back