Steven Wilson XTC’s Skylarking to be released in Dolby Atmos (Blu-Ray out September 27!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
another no brainer...will always be thankful to my Boston Skorpio ex for introducing me to this LP.. I think I STILL have her LP...LOL!
Yeah, I have the 5.1 which "the QQ usual gang of idiots"-me included!- did the QC but did not get thanked (Andy is a bit of a bastard!) but, hey...double dipping

I have both versions of the album so I tried what Jedi was suggesting. Using Sound Forge I mixed the original version on top of the re-issued version. I was surprised to hear nearly everything canceled out except for a voice repeating over and over throughout, "I hate Todd. I hate Todd, I hate Todd". :p
If you believe Andy Partridge's comments in an article in The Guardian from about 2 years ago, he came close to "going Lizzie Borden" on Todd. :ROFLMAO:

Other than the Atmos mix, it appears there is more music on the 2016 blu-ray. Some of it is repeated on the new disc, but not all (demos, etc). I will probably buy the new version, but will be keeping the 2016 version for all the extra stuff not included on the new one. It is still available for under $30.

If you have a record store in your area, try checking their website. Twist & Shout in Denver will be selling the BD for $30. Great store and I love supporting local anything. Can't wait to hear it!
https://shop.twistandshout.com/UPC/633367796721
:LB
Thank you SO MUCH for this suggestion! It never occurred to me to check Squeezebox for digital media (when i think of them, i think vinyl). I called Tim this morning, and he can get it for me for $30! I also ordered Apostrophe from him. Feels good to support my local record store!

Thank you SO MUCH for this suggestion! It never occurred to me to check Squeezebox for digital media (when i think of them, i think vinyl). I called Tim this morning, and he can get it for me for $30! I also ordered Apostrophe from him. Feels good to support my local record store!
I will shop Amazon no more forever!

Description
The second of XTC’s albums to be mixed in Dolby Atmos by Steven Wilson, 1986's Skylarking - sequenced and produced by the legendary Todd Rundgren - is perhaps the most acclaimed of all the band's releases.

Mixed from the original multi-track studio master tapes and fully approved by XTC.

Contents:

CD: 2016 album mix plus bonus album track mixes by Steven Wilson.

Blu-ray:
Full album and additional tracks mixed in Dolby Atmos + instrumental versions
Full album and additional tracks in DTS-HD MA 5.1 Surround Sound (2016 mix)
Full album, additional tracks and instrumentals in 24/96 stereo (2016 mix).
Full album - original mix (corrected polarity edition) in 24/96 stereo.

Presented in replica mini-vinyl style packaging with booklet including photos and album lyrics

All 2024 and 2016 material mixed by Steven Wilson.

--------

An album unlike anything else in the band's back catalogue, dense orchestrations and a more organic soundscape were deployed in servicing some of the band's most melodically rich and sophisticated songs.

--------

Skylarking: XTC’s most commercially successful album was, for many years, also its most mythical with tales of “lost” multi-track tapes (sadly true of other XTC albums but not this one), a song originally dropped from the album only to be replaced when it inadvertently became a hit single in the USA, a perfect match, on paper, between the ideal Britpop band a decade before the term was invented and an Anglophile super-producer that turned rather imperfect in personality terms but still resulted in a classic album.

Tracklist
[CD]
features the 2016 album mix & bonus album track mixes by Steven Wilson

1 Summer's Cauldron
2 Grass
3 The Meeting Place
4 That's Really Super, Supergirl
5 Ballet for a Rainy Day
6 1000 Umbrellas
7 Season Cycle
8 Earn Enough for Us
9 Big Day
10 Another Satellite
11 Mermaid Smiled
12 The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul
13 Dear God
14 Dying
15 Sacrificial Bonfire
+
16 Extrovert
17 Let’s Make a Den
18 Little Lighthouse
19 The Troubles

[Blu-ray]
Full album & additional tracks mixed in Dolby Atmos + instrumental versions
Full album & additional tracks in DTS-HD MA 5.1 Surround Sound (2016 mix)
Full album, additional tracks & instrumentals in 24/96 stereo (2016 mix).
Full album - original mix (corrected polarity edition) in 24/96 stereo.

Amazon USA
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D9P39NYH/?tag=imwan-20

Amazon Canada
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0D9P39NYH/?tag=imwanca-20

Amazon UK
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0D9P39NYH/?tag=imwan-21

Will this release include the original sleeve design?
Accorcing to this picture from Amazon.com, it looks like they're using the original sleeve design for this reissue of Skylarking.
1723754775084.png

Back