HiRez Poll XTC - SKYLARKING [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of XTC - SKYLARKING

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
10/10 mix
5/10 presentation / content

In this video I was hoping to briefly summarize my thoughts on the new 2024 Dolby Atmos mix of "Skylarking" by XTC. One of the strengths of this series has always been the 'boxed set on a disc' approach but this release dispenses of that and I feel you ought to be informed before you decide to sell the old one to upgrade.

But neither is it locked in a bloated box. The release should be judged on its own merit.

I do not care for the new case size but appreciate it is easily discernable from the previous release.

I believe it warrants full measure on every item we are asked to judge here on QQ. The price is affordable, the mix is outstanding AND we get an instrumental ATMOS mix.

I appreciate that you feel otherwise but to me such a harsh rating detracts from the value of your review because you are banging on it for what it is not instead of what it is.

But neither is it locked in a bloated box. The release should be judged on its own merit.

I do not care for the new case size but appreciate it is easily discernable from the previous release.

I believe it warrants full measure on every item we are asked to judge here on QQ. The price is affordable, the mix is outstanding AND we get an instrumental ATMOS mix.

I appreciate that you feel otherwise but to me such a harsh rating detracts from the value of your review because you are banging on it for what it is not instead of what it is.
I do see that @shedsoundsmedia did award the release a 9 on the poll thread, so he only deducted one point for the lack of content.

I do see that @shedsoundsmedia did award the release a 9 on the poll thread, so he only deducted one point for the lack of content.
It frustrated me because I sold the old disc. I don’t like having multiple copies of the same album on my shelf because I have a wide variety of tastes and interest and limited space. At first it even affected my attitude toward the new mix because I didn’t realize those weren’t included.

It wasn’t until I sat down and A/B’d the 5.1 vs Atmos that I realized it’s not even close. Atmos wins by a mile. So yeah, my ‘official’ rating is a 9 because the mix itself is revelatory, and it made me fall in love with the music again.

I just wish to inform others who could make the same mistake I did in assuming it’s 1:1 the same plus Atmos. Had I known I’d have kept the old disc gladly but now I face paying $60-75 to get the 2016 second hand just for those extras.

To me the greatest strength to these XTC surround reissues is the “boxed set on a disc” approach instead of burying it in a hugely expensive set, and I’ve said many times that I wish other bands would adopt this format. With this release XTC have stepped backward a little bit, imo. Maybe the superior mix makes up for it but it’s a sticking point for me and I feel it needs addressed.

Maybe the superior mix makes up for it but it’s a sticking point for me and I feel it needs addressed.
I understand people may disagree with you, but I agree to an extent. I'm not sure how much space can be fit on one disc, but the great thing about the XTC sets up to now is that they felt so definitive. So for them to release another Blu-Ray set of Skylarking with categorically less audio material, that's disappointing and worth noting.

I think the new ATMOS mix (and all the others on the disc) sounds great. I have the previous BR issue and will be keeping that for the same reasons ShedSounds points out. The mix is a 10 for me. I would prefer the packaging in a jewel case or like the other XTC BRs, but not big a problem.

As I said in my Thin Lizzy review, I have to deduct 1 point for not having any visuals to go along with the music. The Howard Jones BRs set a new bar for these types of releases. Even still pictures unique to each song would not be difficult. (Even us amateurs can do that when making BRs.)

Well, being a pack rat by nature, i held on to the original release. Glad i did for all of the extras, That said, the new Atmos mix (i'm listening in 7.1 for now) is everything i dreamt of whilst doing things on grass . . . absolutely stellar use of the soundscape the discrete elements helping me to escape through this most wonderful mix of ecstasy i have it on repeat so i can listen again and again to yet another Steven Wilson 10!

Back