Flaming Lips Yoshimi Atmos Blu-ray out November 1st, 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never heard of these guys, but how can I not give it a try with all of the great feedback!
I don’t claim to have the best ears/knowledge on this site, but Yoshimi is generally regarded as one of the best/ most adventurous 5.1 mixes by many more knowledgeable than me…what can happen in Atmos?!

I don’t claim to have the best ears/knowledge on this site, but Yoshimi is generally regarded as one of the best/ most adventurous 5.1 mixes by many more knowledgeable than me…what can happen in Atmos?!
Hopefully, the NEW Atmos remix can correct the LFE shift that occurred with the original MLP DVD~A 5.1 of YOSHIMI as uncovered by QQ moderator steelydave in this post from February 2021

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ave-a-lfe-issue-info-list-fixes-inside.30048/

Very excited for this! Yoshimi's original 5.1 mix changed my life when it was released - it still might be my favorite surround mix if I had to choose one. It is so perfect and nostalgic for me, I don't know how I'll feel about a new mix... but I'm eager to find out! (I knew it was out on Apple Music, but I try to hold out for Blu-rays when possible because the discs sometimes sound better than streaming to me.) Thanks to OP for spreading the word!

My first thought was why does this need to be reissued on bluray? The lossless DVD was already complete with this lo-fi mix. (Intentional bombastic lo-fi!) Atmos remix though? The 5.1 mix is just absolutely absurd in great ways! They pointedly wanted to call bs on polite or subdued surround mixes and went off the deep end. This could maybe be the first Atmos mix to do something genuinely interesting!

I expect to hear full on blasted out mono drums pinging around the speakers and sometimes coming out single channels!

Last edited:
I'm very interested in hearing how this will compare to the already awesome DVD-A. I saw the Lips perform Yoshimi in full this past July and it was, hands down, the best show of the summer and one of the very best shows I have seen in a long time. I last saw them way back when Yoshimi was first released but this was next level. I just wish they would incorporate surround sound into their live shows - that would be incredible.

Anyway, I will be buying this, as this is a favorite Lips album for me (second only to The Soft Bulletin).

Wow, killer price on Amazon Canada
CAD 20.43 (US$15 approx)

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0DH65HYQG/

Just pre-ordered, comes to CAD 23 shipped to Niagara - winner, winner!
Thanks for the heads up! I was surprised as usually us Canadians get stiffed when it comes to multichannel releases. Amazon is especially bad for it.

I’m curious as to whether people who own the DVD-A already will keep it or sell it as the 5.1 mix is included on the new Blu-ray. I haven’t played the DVD-A in a while but there might be exclusive content on there that makes it worth hanging on to.

I also wonder if the 5.1 mix is going to be remastered at all, my guess is probably no.

Back