Zappa - Apostrophe (50th anniversary set out in Sept!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Incorrect info on the sleeve, rippers beware!

Quad Mix (which DVDAE sees as 5.1 with a silent center channel) is 24/48. 5.1 Mix is 24/96.

My recollection is that because of some licensing reason, the newer versions of DVDAE report TrueHD resolutions above 24/48 as 24/48 even when it's actually 24/96 or higher. It will export them at the correct bitrate and resolution provided you've set them correctly on the menu screen that has the dropdowns that allow you to pick. It seems to sometimes revert to 'channels: stereo' , 'Bits per sample: 16' and 'Sample rate: 48000' when it should be channels: all 6 channels, bits per sample: 24 and sample rate: same as input. You can check afterward what the actual sample rate and bit depth of your rip is by dumping your output files into foobar or something and looking at the properties.

Definitely a different use of the center channel than the norm on the very aggressive Atmos mix. Certainly doesn't follow Steven Wilson's formula. I liked it a lot after one listen so far.
One might say quite a zany mix, much like the man himself 😜

I agree it's a very aggressive and good Atmos mix.

The sort of mix that makes you come back for more, which I certainly am doing 👍

I've only listened to this on Apple Music, but I agree on it being a very aggressive and good Atmos mix.:cool: I bought the the two first sets, but the price has tripled since the first set, so I has to stay with AM for this one. This is NOK 1250.- for a 30min album, the first was NOK 450.- for two albums.

I've only listened to this on Apple Music, but I agree on it being a very aggressive and good Atmos mix.:cool: I bought the the two first sets, but the price has tripled since the first set, so I has to stay with AM for this one. This is NOK 1250.- for a 30min album, the first was NOK 450.- for two albums.
Grrr ...that's £10 more than I spent, which is expensive but what ain't these days? 😕

I remember marvelling at the detail in the photograph on the cover of the LP. As I recall, the print was made using a new process, but I don't remember the details. Is there a link anywhere for some more information?

These prices...

Can anyone talk about the improvement of the bluray delivered quad mix vs the copy of the Q4? I thought that was one of the better Q4 copies, FWIW. What about the Atmos remix compared to either Waka Jawaka or Grand Wazoo? (The Atmos remix of Over-Nite Sensation being a little disappointing after those two. While the clean copy of the quad mix was night and day from the CD-4 mutilation copy I had heard previously.) I mean the copies everyone has heard for a long time now while these were still out of print officially.

Just trying to decide on waiting vs being even more broke! :D

I have a 2 year old Denon AVC 3800, that I'm quite satisfied with, but I would like to have wides.
Denon's cheapest model with wides are AVC 6800, but it is quite expensive none the less, NOK 40000.-:unsure:
I got rid of my av 8805a and separate 7 channel ati 6007 and replaced it with this unit, I LOVE IT!

Correct. Preordered early on. They have typically been good, and only charge once they ship.
I got that deal on Import CD, too - my package arrived Friday. Happy to spend less than usual on this increasingly expensive habit of mine. But I tell myself - I don't golf I don't fish, and those ere expensive hobbies, so I'm okay with it.

Back