4 More Quadio titles coming in October!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
I have been watching this and have seen way too many negative sentiments. Once again, please understand that we are a slowly dwindling breed of surround sound junkies. Just because something is released you don't want doesn't mean you have state it. I think we should be grateful that there is even an option available. I'm not saying you have to buy it, but please don't discount how potentially damaging the comments could be to Rhino in continuing to release more. Maybe next time will be more inline with your musical tastes. Buy or not, please don't make it negative. I'm not accusing anyone of saying anything bad, I am merely requesting a more positive approach or perhaps saying nothing if you don't want to buy them. Maybe suggest some titles you would be interested in for the future, express gratitude for the effort....those kinds of words are much more productive.

Just my observation. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

I have been watching this and have seen way too many negative sentiments. Once again, please understand that we are a slowly dwindling breed of surround sound junkies. Just because something is released you don't want doesn't mean you have state it. I think we should be grateful that there is even an option available. I'm not saying you have to buy it, but please don't discount how potentially damaging the comments could be to Rhino in continuing to release more. Maybe next time will be more inline with your musical tastes. Buy or not, please don't make it negative. I'm not accusing anyone of saying anything bad, I am merely requesting a more positive approach or perhaps saying nothing if you don't want to buy them. Maybe suggest some titles you would be interested in for the future, express gratitude for the effort....those kinds of words are much more productive.

Just my observation. I didn't mean to offend anyone.
I’m guessing Rhino doesn’t care about people’s comments, however they do care about sales. In the end that will determine what happens next. If everyone says positive things and it doesn’t sell then what will it matter. I plan on buying them but I see no reason to squelch those who have a different opinion. Likewise I have no problem with those that bitch about the price of bloated box sets that cost a fortune. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

It’s really unfortunate that we have to live in a world that is so afraid of someone else having a different opinion from theirs.

We all have different tastes and opinions on things and should be free to express them, without worrying about whether someone else that doesn’t agree is going to crumble under the weight of it. Good Lord!

It’s not the end of the world if everyone doesn’t agree. A lot of us are old enough to remember a world where debate was not only healthy, it was encouraged!

I’m guessing Rhino doesn’t care about people’s comments, however they do care about sales. In the end that will determine what happens next. If everyone says positive things and it doesn’t sell then what will it matter. I plan on buying them but I see no reason to squelch those who have a different opinion. Likewise I have no problem with those that bitch about the price of bloated box sets that cost a fortune. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Personally, I'm very happy with the titles Rhino has for us this time around. As soon as they open up ordering for them, I'm in. I'm sure there are some who would have liked to have seen other titles, but if they perceive a lot of bickering about titles, it might turn them off to any future offerings. Give them a chance; they'll get to what you want to hear.

I can see it from both sides. I'm fine with seeing a negatory comment here and there, but I think if someone feels the need to express that then they should tell us why. Same with positives, commenting in a little bit of detail is a good thing. But not required.

This becomes an issue for me more, and more than simply just another opinion in the Spotlight Polls. You want to leave a 3 or 4 rating when the general feeling is that the disc is a solid 9 with plenty of 10s, and a few 8s. So you feel the need to state that this disc is pretty much a flop at rating 3, then you should be required to state why you feel this urge to slam a forum favorite release. Oh, ok so you've never really or virtually never commented at all in the forums, except to leave some horrible ratings on several well regarded discs? What are you doing here then? Those I think should be deleted. You don't like the disc or discs, and you can't articulate quite what the reason is? That is where I don't get it. So for the Polls then I would have no problem with the person stating why the awful rating with their 3 or 4. But no comment - just a bad rating seems trolling, and should be deleted after the mods discuss this with each other, and member has been given the chance to comment..

Last edited:
In my case, I had 3 of the 4 (June) Rhino Quadios on CD-4 (mostly listened to the stereo downmix though) and B$B on DVD-A.

My rating for the Red Octopus and B$B music would be 5 so I didn't buy the Quadios.

I plan to buy just the (October) Spinners Quadio (I've heard a few of the songs over the years, didn't buy the CD-4).

Kirk Bayne

I can see it from both sides. I'm fine with seeing a negatory comment here and there, but I think if someone feels the need to express that then they should tell us why. Same with positives, commenting in a little bit of detail is a good thing. But not required.

This becomes an issue for me more, and more than simply just another opinion in the Spotlight Polls. You want to leave a 3 or 4 rating when the general feeling is that the disc is a solid 9 with plenty of 10s, and a few 8s. So you feel the need to state that this disc is pretty much a flop at rating 3, then you should be required to state why you feel this urge to slam a forum favorite release. Oh, ok so you've never really or virtually never commented at all in the forums, except to leave some horrible ratings on several well regarded discs? What are you doing here then? Those I think should be deleted. You don't like the disc or discs, and you can't articulate quite what the reason is? That is where I don't get it. So for the Polls then I would have no problem with the person stating why the awful rating with their 3 or 4. But no comment - just a bad rating seems trolling, and should be deleted after the mods discuss this with each other, and member has been given the chance to comment..
I dunno seems heavy handed to me to ask that of every poll rating.
Pretty sure most of us here are familiar/comfortable with our own musical tastes.
Someone giving a low rating to something I love ain't gonna change a thing to me and I've never heard a surround version of a favorite stereo title that I was unhappy with,well some Silverline titles but I digress .:ROFLMAO:

Every poll I've looked at has had more than enough commentary to persuade someone one way or the other
TBH a surround mix has never made me like a title if I didn't like it before in stereo

I know my tastes in music aren’t in line with some of my fellow quadheads, but I just don’t see any positives in saying that so-and-so’s voice makes me cringe, or such-and-such can’t play guitar any better than I can, so I simply don’t comment on those threads.

The most recent batch of quadios, I only bought one, and I think it’s amazing. But I’ve seen it panned often enough to know that I would start a useless argument if I responded to them.

I don’t see the sense in spending big bucks on music you don’t know you’ll like (been there, done that too often), just to say “support the genre,” but if it’s close, I often bite and am pleasantly surprised. But the old saying “you can’t polish a turd” applies to a great mix of a bad musician, too.

I dunno seems heavy handed to me to ask that of every poll rating.
Pretty sure most of us here are familiar/comfortable with our own musical tastes.
Someone giving a low rating to something I love ain't gonna change a thing to me and I've never heard a surround version of a favorite stereo title that I was unhappy with,well some Silverline titles but I digress .:ROFLMAO:

Every poll I've looked at has had more than enough commentary to persuade someone one way or the other
TBH a surround mix has never made me like a title if I didn't like it before in stereo
I agree. I rarely rely on the polls to make a decision on whether to buy or not and I would think I am not alone. I find the numbers/ratings useless mainly because everyone has different standards and interpretations of exactly how they should go about producing a meaningful, standardized rating. Me included. There are also heavy biases involved in regards to how the person doing the rating felt about the album/artist BEFORE the multichannel album in question was even released.

While I am fine with people casting a vote and NOT leaving a comment, the comments are so much more useful than the numeric votes. You can often gauge some of the biases a person has toward a release from the comment, where the numerical vote does not. It also doesn't help that most of the votes for any release skews in the 8/9/10 range and very few below 5.

I have all four October Quadios on CD-4. Four solid choices, IMHO.
Looking forward to never spinning the vinyl again... ...'cause I'll have Blu-ray Audio as a much better option!
Assuming the Blu Ray isn't screwed up in some way. I was looking forward to never spinning my Tubular Bells SACD again, but the Blu Ray is screwed up with incorrect channel balance in the second half.

While I am fine with people casting a vote and NOT leaving a comment, the comments are so much more useful than the numeric votes. You can often gauge some of the biases a person has toward a release from the comment, where the numerical vote does not. It also doesn't help that most of the votes for any release skews in the 8/9/10 range and very few below 5.
Agreed. I once read someone's comment of why they gave a release a low score, and I thought "Great, everything they hate about it I'll like" and I bought it and indeed it was excellent for me. I forget what release it was but remember the lesson about reading people's likes and dislikes.

I know my tastes in music aren’t in line with some of my fellow quadheads, but I just don’t see any positives in saying that so-and-so’s voice makes me cringe, or such-and-such can’t play guitar any better than I can, so I simply don’t comment on those threads.

The most recent batch of quadios, I only bought one, and I think it’s amazing. But I’ve seen it panned often enough to know that I would start a useless argument if I responded to them.

I don’t see the sense in spending big bucks on music you don’t know you’ll like (been there, done that too often), just to say “support the genre,” but if it’s close, I often bite and am pleasantly surprised. But the old saying “you can’t polish a turd” applies to a great mix of a bad musician, too.
well said! 👍🙂 and on this very subject, i had a forum friend get in touch privately fairly recently to say "i noticed you hadn't commented on the forum on.. >such and such a title<.." (a notable release, one i'd probably normally spout on about here! put it that way) and i replied "i was taught as a nipper, if you've nothing nice to say, say nothing at all!" which is just what i did! 🤐😂

Assuming the Blu Ray isn't screwed up in some way. I was looking forward to never spinning my Tubular Bells SACD again, but the Blu Ray is screwed up with incorrect channel balance in the second half.
I don't believe that Rhino has a history of missing those details.

Back