Alan Parsons Project "Pyramid" super-deluxe box set (Atmos & 5.1 BluRay) Aug. 24, 2024

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was absolutely littered with fascinating insight. Alan wanting to remix Supertramp? Also talking about the non-Project albums? Hell yes! Sadly, it's also proving that the rumours about Ambrosia were a bit optimistic...
"I’d love to do those [first] two Ambrosia albums in Atmos—but there’s a bit of a problem, because some of the tapes have gone missing from the first album. I think the second album is probably all there." :(

Another interesting piece of info from the interview (talking about Steven Wilson and The Raven that Refused to Sing):
Mettler: Oh, yeah—and that’s another great 5.1 mix of his. One of the last times he and I spoke, he made mention that Raven is on his slate to get around to doing in Atmos.

Im voting a 10 on this one and another 10 for Steven Tayler's mix of In Search for Space...

Where are the pollls? :)

It’s at about 6:10, and what I’m waiting on.

Nice box set though, and thank you Paul at SDE!
To be fair, that part was cut out of the single edit and is only available on the extended album version. In fact, the single edit only clocks in at 4:20 minutes. The bit about the stand-alone Blu-Ray comes about halfway through extended guitar solo and is recorded backwards, so it's easy to miss.

How is the new 2024 stereo remaster compared to the 2008 CD? I wasn't very happy with the remaster of Turn of a Friendly Card, which was too bright compared to the 2015 DSD download (or the HDAD, which has speed issues, though). I have asked the same question on SHFs, but received no answer. I'm really looking forward to buying the stand-alone release, but I am also curious to know how the remaster sounds now!

How is the new 2024 stereo remaster compared to the 2008 CD? I wasn't very happy with the remaster of Turn of a Friendly Card, which was too bright compared to the 2015 DSD download (or the HDAD, which has speed issues, though). I have asked the same question on SHFs, but received no answer. I'm really looking forward to buying the stand-alone release, but I am also curious to know how the remaster sounds now!

I suppose it's unfair for me to respond since I don't have the 2008 remaster, but I can tell you that I felt the stereo remaster on the Blu-ray was not at all to my liking. I turned it off pretty quickly because it simply does not have the warmth and body of the Blair-cut UK LP. Not even close. To put this into better perspective, I have the original US CD of Pyramid, and that's not at all great either and also a far cry from the LP, but I actually listened to that in full at least. My impression is that they somehow don't have the original master for the album and/or are just futzing with it too much in the digital realm. This album should sound every bit as good as I Robot, and in this box, it sure don't. I'd personally take the old US CD over the new remaster, and that's kinda sad.

I suppose it's unfair for me to respond since I don't have the 2008 remaster, but I can tell you that I felt the stereo remaster on the Blu-ray was not at all to my liking. I turned it off pretty quickly because it simply does not have the warmth and body of the Blair-cut UK LP. Not even close. To put this into better perspective, I have the original US CD of Pyramid, and that's not at all great either and also a far cry from the LP, but I actually listened to that in full at least. My impression is that they somehow don't have the original master for the album and/or are just futzing with it too much in the digital realm. This album should sound every bit as good as I Robot, and in this box, it sure don't. I'd personally take the old US CD over the new remaster, and that's kinda sad.
Thanks for the comment. I’m familiar with the US CD, so that gives me a term of comparison. That’s sad to hear. If this remaster follows the trend of Turn, it’s not warm at all :/

Back