Alan Parsons to Release "Tales of Mystery and Imagination: Edgar Allan Poe" 5.1 Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sadly is the trend these days. Ramming vinyl, rbcds etc. down one's palette to get the prize...... in this case, the Tales of Mystery and Imagination on a lossless BD~A. Like yourself, I always say I'm not going to take the bait but in the end I always acquiesce because I've always been a sucker for this album.

Oh, well!

Its a bitter pill to swallow but I've come to begrudgingly accept (and this has been going on for a few years now, its really nothing new is it) having the attraction of new vinyl (and myriad other shite next to none of us Quaddies want!) in a big ass boxset part way subsidises the Surround happening/being included at all.. the Surround element is - sadly - way down in the pecking order in these boxes a lot of the time compared to other elements and often under-appreciated..

Its a bitter pill to swallow but I've come to begrudgingly accept (and this has been going on for a few years now, its really nothing new is it) having the attraction of new vinyl (and myriad other shite next to none of us Quaddies want!) in a big ass boxset part way subsidises the Surround happening/being included at all.. the Surround element is - sadly - way down in the pecking order in these boxes a lot of the time compared to other elements and often under-appreciated..

Even sadder than including all these items that we don't want to just get the surround disc is the reality that they don't realize that the surround disc is driving most of the sales...they are clueless about the value of the surround disc...to them it's just an add on

Even sadder than including all these items that we don't want to just get the surround disc is the reality that they don't realize that the surround disc is driving most of the sales...they are clueless about the value of the surround disc...to them it's just an add on

But is that actual reality or OUR version of reality because it's what WE want most?
I'm still skeptical of how well surround discs have been selling through the major labels over the last few years when they have offered them to us.
Maybe Universal are dropping the single Blu-Ray offering for a lot of future releases due to poor sales. Now if that is true, a LOT of that could be blamed on a poor choice of releases (particularly with all of the reissues last year from artists like RUSH and releases like "Slippery When Wet", "Let's Get It On", and "Southern Surroundings") but the fact is that CD, vinyl, and digital releases still rule over the majority of music sales today, and given the added expenses accumulated with surround remixing and release (finding, baking, and transferring tapes; remixing; mastering; authoring discs) sometimes a label might have to press a limited number and sell it as part of a more expensive release to help break even on a particular reissue.
But I still firmly believe it's better to do things this way than to not do them at all, which is the other alternative of what we could eventually be looking at again...

From Alan Parsons' FB profile:

This is fantastic news!

First: Since Universal is doing this that opens the door for I Robot, Pyramid, Eye In the Sky, Turn Of A Friendly Card, etc...

Second: Nobody said there was NOT going to be a separate BluRay 5.1. released later and since Universal did it for Steve Hackett, I expect that the AP's Tales will see a separate release as well.

Third: My observation is that the music sellers have shifted away from only offering these all inclusive expensive giant deluxe box sets. Tull finally released Aqualung separate and we covered Steve Hackett in 5.1, blah, blah, blah...

To paraphrase my good friend rt: Alan Parsons is THE MAN when it comes to surround so whatever Alan Parsons releases we get are a HUGE step forward for all of us surround lovers.

I do think this is kinda an "ice breaker" and I am dreaming of more Alan Parsons Projects remixes in 5.1 to come!

Fourth: Although I don't collect vinyl it is entirely possible that it is by the combining of the vinyl revival AND our small but feisty surround community that mega music such as Universal think it is now financially viable to offer such releases as AP - Tales. So I welcome my wacky & crazy vinyl brethren to the party. :music

I do think there will be a 5.1 only release of this, perhaps in the fall, and I can't wait!!!!!! :smokin

First: Since Universal is doing this that opens the door for I Robot, Pyramid, Eye In the Sky, Turn Of A Friendly Card, etc...
I do think this is kinda an "ice breaker" and I am dreaming of more Alan Parsons Projects remixes in 5.1 to come!

DMJ, I agree wholeheartedly with everything you have said except what's in quotes above, and the reason I'm skeptical (right now) of future APP surround releases is because all of their albums except "Tales" are not on Universal but another major label, and as well all know, the practices of one label do not always translate to others.
So I'm getting this release with the understanding that as of right now, this is a one-off surround release from APP, but I certainly hope that this release will do well enough to convince Sony to continue things on their end with more surround releases from APP in the future! :)

But is that actual reality or OUR version of reality because it's what WE want most?
I'm still skeptical of how well surround discs have been selling through the major labels over the last few years when they have offered them to us.
Maybe Universal are dropping the single Blu-Ray offering for a lot of future releases due to poor sales. Now if that is true, a LOT of that could be blamed on a poor choice of releases (particularly with all of the reissues last year from artists like RUSH and releases like "Slippery When Wet", "Let's Get It On", and "Southern Surroundings") but the fact is that CD, vinyl, and digital releases still rule over the majority of music sales today, and given the added expenses accumulated with surround remixing and release (finding, baking, and transferring tapes; remixing; mastering; authoring discs) sometimes a label might have to press a limited number and sell it as part of a more expensive release to help break even on a particular reissue.
But I still firmly believe it's better to do things this way than to not do them at all, which is the other alternative of what we could eventually be looking at again...

Obviously we don't know what the "reality" of the sales figure side is...but think of this in a practical sense...when they market an expanded box set that includes vinyl...cd's and a surround disc...do they really think that the individual that buys this box set is going to play the vinyl...play the cd's and have yet another device to play the surround disc?...it's a shotgun approach...you are certainly correct that the surround element is the most expensive item from a production standpoint...but those expenses aren't stopping AF...a company with fewer resources than the "big boys" in the industry...from selling single discs...I do believe that the big companies look at the previous stand alone surround discs sales figures for answers...but what they don't know is that quality(or lack of it)had a lot to do with the sales figures..and for me that's one of the biggest problems...their conception of sound quality and the audiophile definition are vastly different...so when they produce a crappy sounding surround title and it doesn't sell it's because people aren't interested in surround instead of the poor sound quality...

But I do agree that any type of release is welcome..even in these box sets:)

Vinyl ? What the heck !
Is it going to be the same as with the latest box set ?
Getting "The Sicilian Defence" required to buy the other 9 titles too ....
I objected to this but never got a response.......... i have all the albums, all the CD's , all the HDAD's, all the remasters and now again I had to buy 10 CD's for one album only ?
Seeing that it seems to go into a package with vinyl, cd's (5.1 DTS CD's or stereo ?) and a bluray, I am again worried I have to pay for items that I don't need, that I cannot use and that I don't want !
What is it nowadays with those companies ?????????????

Obviously we don't know what the "reality" of the sales figure side is...but think of this in a practical sense...when they market an expanded box set that includes vinyl...cd's and a surround disc...do they really think that the individual that buys this box set is going to play the vinyl...play the cd's and have yet another device to play the surround disc?...it's a shotgun approach...you are certainly correct that the surround element is the most expensive item from a production standpoint...but those expenses aren't stopping AF...a company with fewer resources than the "big boys" in the industry...from selling single discs...I do believe that the big companies look at the previous stand alone surround discs sales figures for answers...but what they don't know is that quality(or lack of it)had a lot to do with the sales figures..and for me that's one of the biggest problems...their conception of sound quality and the audiophile definition are vastly different...so when they produce a crappy sounding surround title and it doesn't sell it's because people aren't interested in surround instead of the poor sound quality...

But I do agree that any type of release is welcome..even in these box sets:)

These bigger boxset editions are not designed to target one specific format's audience, but rather they are targeting major fans of a particular artist and/or album that are always striving for the ultimate editions that beat out previous editions they already own.
And I think one thing that we fail to remember is that not only are Audio Fidelity always working with already completed stereo and surround mixes on any given title, but none of their Multichannel SACDs are created just to satisfy this audience. They are designed to effectively reach CD, stereo SACD, and surround SACD buyers all at once, and if you ask me, they have been doing a pretty damn good job of satisfying all three of those audiences with their releases.

What IS the main difference between Audio Fidelity and a major label like Universal is who is running the show. Marshall is definitely a genuine lover of music first, and I feel like profit (while it's still important to him) doesn't completely run the show, and as we all know, the same cannot be said about the bean-counters that run the major labels… :violin

It strikes me that the vinyl aficionados will be griping about the same thing we are. Their lament will be "why do I need to buy CDs and some worthless surround disc to get some high quality vinyl". It seems that a release like this doesn't make anyone happy.

As for me, I wont be buying. In my opinion, this release isn't anywhere near as iconic as many others feel it is, and there are several other APP releases I would choose to have released in surround before this one. The whole House of Usher suite just always struck me as so much filler.

If it were a single disk release at a typical price that would be a different story, but to pay out as much cash as this box is likely to cost only to get a decent surround version of music I haven't bothered with in 20 years or so.... nehhhh.

I also wonder if this kind of thing leads people to take the piracy route in order to get what they want without paying a fortune for it. You might not be able to buy just the 5.1 surround disk, but its pretty easy to simply steal it. In the end its the record company that looses. Why not offer a legal 5.1 download for those that only want that version. Aren't they leaving money on the table by not doing so?

But the single factor that we're ALL overlooking is the UNDERutilization of the BD~A disc, which, in essence, could contain ALL of the [bonus] RBCD's content in lossless codecs ON A SINGLE DISC. Vinyl is, IMO, a separate entity altogether. It's really NOT hi def and also has a limited appeal like the 5.1 remasters. Pricey boxsets also have LIMITED APPEAL. If we've learned anything.........people like to purchase their music cheaply and are likely not willing to invest close to $100 to buy a favorite disc. By offering Vinyl, a single BD~A 5.1 and a double or triple RBCD set separately makes MUCH more sense. Frankly, I want the album ITSELF and don't really care about B~sides or outtakes. With few exceptions, those 'snippets' remained on the cutting room floor for a reason and to bundle everything in one extravagant box set is really, IMO, a ridiculous proposition.

And RT is absolutely correct about Universal's BD~A launch.....totally misconceived....almost every music website derided their choice of titles, lack of surround content and stinginess by placing (with FEW exceptions) one album per BD~A disc which could conceivably hold a dozen + discs in Hi Def.

I will stick to my original observation: ALL the majors are holding out releasing copious Hi Res titles [5.1 and otherwise] for a FUTURE download bonanza where they can control ALL their titles and potentially eliminate the middle man. Let's face facts: that's where the REAL $$$$ is! The manufacturing of physical discs, distribution, discounts to the middle men will be a THING OF THE PAST.

A vinyl+CDs+DVD or BD~A box a la Tusk would be out of character for Universal. Although they often offer a separate vinyl release for those who want it, they typically have not bundled it with the 5" discs. Mike Oldfield, Tears For Fears and Simple Minds have all had the vinyl offered only as a separate items. I know Alan's comments make it sound otherwise but hopefully Universal will keep doing things as they've done them in the past.

As for the vinyl, it is interesting that they would go the 2LP 45 RPM route for this album as it will mean splitting "The Fall of the House of Usher" between two sides of one LP. I have the MFSL LP of this and it sounds quite nice.

True, not v.often at all but (unfortunately) not totally unprecedented as Universal have done a few sets with vinyl and surround in the same box, Layla & Slowhand sets both had 5.1 DVD's plus vinyl iirc

I like this album. I like it a lot. I'm just not a mega-box guy. If this is released in a reasonable package, such as all optical discs, I'll probably bite, assuming the surround will be hi-res.
It would take a much more iconic album to make me go mega-box.

I like this album. I like it a lot. I'm just not a mega-box guy. If this is released in a reasonable package, such as all optical discs, I'll probably bite, assuming the surround will be hi-res.
It would take a much more iconic album to make me go mega-box.

The surround will definitely be hi-res because Alan specifically said it will be released on a Blu-Ray disc. :)

The surround will definitely be hi-res because Alan specifically said it will be released on a Blu-Ray disc. :)
c'mon, you can't have much trust to his words.
he had opportunity to release "Valid Path" as lossless DVD-A on dual disc.
instead he settled for DTS, albeit we all well know, Silverline hadn't have the problems with authoring DVD-A and
overwhelming majority of their prints came out as DVD-As. so 50/50 chance BD-A could come with DTS/DD :p

In my opinion, this release isn't anywhere near as iconic as many others feel it is, and there are several other APP releases I would choose to have released in surround before this one. The whole House of Usher suite just always struck me as so much filler.

If it were a single disk release at a typical price that would be a different story, but to pay out as much cash as this box is likely to cost only to get a decent surround version of music I haven't bothered with in 20 years or so.... nehhhh.

I also wonder if this kind of thing leads people to take the piracy route in order to get what they want without paying a fortune for it. You might not be able to buy just the 5.1 surround disk, but its pretty easy to simply steal it. In the end its the record company that looses. Why not offer a legal 5.1 download for those that only want that version. Aren't they leaving money on the table by not doing so?

I agree. For me Tales was a stepping stone to greater records, namely: I Robot though Turn Of A friendly Card, but just like in "American Pickers", ya gotta break the ice or ya get nutin...

We need to break the ice and show our support for Tales to encourage Alan that we want more 5.1. Not buying and waiting for better recordings runs the risk of getting nothing and not liking it at all. (n) I'm not talkin bout the deluxe box, I am talkin bout buying & supporting a separate 5.1 release.

I never understood the House of Usher either, but Dr. Tarr and then To One in Paradise are worth the price alone.(y)

instead he settled for DTS, albeit we all well know, Silverline hadn't have the problems with authoring DVD-A and
overwhelming majority of their prints came out as DVD-As. so 50/50 chance BD-A could come with DTS/DD :p

I think you're underestimating the intelligence of someone like Alan Parsons. Everyone with half a brain knows what a Blu-Ray disc is compared to a DVD, whereas there's a lot more confusion amongst people when distinguishing between DVD-V and DVD-A. (Just look at all of the recent mislabeled DVDs as prime evidence of that.)
All I'm really saying is have a little faith, will ya? There's a difference between being pragmatic and being pessimistic after all… ;)

Interesting thinking, I was of the opinion that they do realize the surround disc is driving the sales, enabling them to bundle the other stuff as tag along merchandise riding on the BD-A's coattail. Along this thinking, I wonder how sales went with the Pink Floyd Immersion sets. Dark Side and Wish You Were Here with the surround BDs and The Wall without. Though they are different albums, I would think the BDs would have carried DS and WYWH to higher sales over The Wall, if the surround disc was the attraction. It appears Pet Sounds is headed this way as well, the new BD being lumped in a box set to, IMO, maximize profits. I'd love to have this one, but not bad enough to get the package. It's not a stretch to see a pattern forming IMO.

Otto, towards the end of DVD~A manufacture, Silverline did start to release a bunch of dualdiscs in LOSSY codecs (even DD 5.1) probably as a cost saving measure. It does cost more to author an MLP DVD~A and I really don't think it was Alan Parson's decision. Shortly thereafter, SILVERLINE evaporated never to be heard from again.

I do wish one day that both On Air (DTS Entertainment) and A Valid Path are reissued in a LOSSLESS format....perhaps as a single BD~A 5.1 [both albums on one disc].

Interesting thinking, I was of the opinion that they do realize the surround disc is driving the sales, enabling them to bundle the other stuff as tag along merchandise riding on the BD-A's coattail. Along this thinking, I wonder how sales went with the Pink Floyd Immersion sets. Dark Side and Wish You Were Here with the surround BDs and The Wall without. Though they are different albums, I would think the BDs would have carried DS and WYWH to higher sales over The Wall, if the surround disc was the attraction. It appears Pet Sounds is headed this way as well, the new BD being lumped in a box set to, IMO, maximize profits. I'd love to have this one, but not bad enough to get the package. It's not a stretch to see a pattern forming IMO.

Well Red if you are of the opinion that these companies know that the surround titles are the most valuable element in these box sets...just answer one question for me...knowing they are valuable...why would they let them gather dust in vaults and not release them...in many cases there are finished surround titles by MAJOR artists ready to go and make money for these companies...they have been sitting there for years...

Back