ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Robin Trower album out on Oct. 27th ...
I first heard (and saw) him back in the 70s, and thought then that he didn't really need a singer in his band (which is not at all a slight on the late James Dewar, who was also his bassist). I still feel that way, just like I didn't like all that pop rubbish with various singers that Carlos Santana started doing on Supernatural. Carlos, get the old band back together again for a Santana V.

They're both excellent guitarists; they don't need anyone singing on their songs all the time.

I first heard (and saw) him back in the 70s, and thought then that he didn't really need a singer in his band (which is not at all a slight on the late James Dewar, who was also his bassist). I still feel that way, just like I didn't like all that pop rubbish with various singers that Carlos Santana started doing on Supernatural. Carlos, get the old band back together again for a Santana V.

They're both excellent guitarists; they don't need anyone singing on their songs all the time.
agree 100% Trower's strength is how he speaks to you through his playing. While I never saw him in his hay day, I did see him around 3 years ago and he was amazing!

1696955854883.png

the Neil Peart drumstick toss

The Professor was very proficient in this activity, For all of you who have seen Rush live, how could you not be amazed ? Rumour is he never dropped a stick nor missed a beat. I saw him toss in 1979, 1983 , 1986 and 1994. 1983 was memorable. I think he threw a stick 20 feet in the air at Wings Stadium.

https://packaged-media.redd.it/lg6q...=58ec0ab7c444d87dbe6937a7b5011a2ab35694dd#t=0

Last edited:
I'm listening to a Tiny Desk concert (stereo) by Hiromi. Some good jazz. Wish there was video! Quite the performer all around.
I’ve seen videos of her playing over the past few years. What stands out most is that she sure seems to exude joy when she plays for audiences.

I wasn’t a fan of The Guess Who back in the day, but they came to my area in 2020 and I went. Enjoyable show.

So I paid attention when I saw some articles promoting their new album, Plein D’Amour. They were talking about having solid singers in the band and the harmonies they can create, so I figured I’d give it a listen on streaming.

It’s really good! It’s not in surround, but I have my receiver set to Multichannel Stereo which lately has been my favorite way to listen to non-surround music.

For me, this is a case where it’s a shame a legacy band can’t get away with doing more than a new song or two live because people want to hear their faves from the past. I’d buy a ticket just to hear them do this whole album.

Back