Atlantic Records Celebrates Its 75th Anniversary With Special LPs and SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There’s a handful I might consider. And since this is AP, I can trust these releases will hit all sorts of delays, thus spreading the hits to my credit card across a long period of time.

But wait... according to the listing for Selling England By the Pound... “Coming January 23, 2023” (That’s right, it will be coming out 9 months ago.)

i'm hoping they're all new remasters otherwise it smacks very much of a cash grab! 🙏🤞
Adam, since SO MANY of the pre announced titles have had prior multi channel releases and won't be included on AP's STEREO ONLY SACD remasters is an absolute deal breaker in my book..especially since many of those surround SACDs and DVD~As are sadly OOP!

So, are these are basically re-issues with regards to mastering and mixing?

If I have the Genesis box set of sacds, these releases will basically be the same (except for packaging) right?

If so, it just seems like a ploy to repackage and have the faithful rebuy.
Some titles don’t specify, Trick of the Tail says nothing but Foxtrot does say “Mastered directly to DSD from the original master tape by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering”

The SACD box was mastered (poorly) by Tony Cousins so looks like these are fresh DSD masters of the original mixes as opposed to the 2007 remixes used for the SACD box unless I’m missing something?

It was my thought that Tony Banks and co. didn’t want the original mixes to be available anywhere after the remixes came out, so we’ll have to wait and see.

I really think Atlantic Records and Analogue Productions should reconsider their strategy as pertains to all albums which have bona fide multi channel masters!

A former deterrent to US reissue companies regarding adding the multichannel layer was the added expense...and since Atlantic Records owns these mch masters there would be no added premium to adding the multichannel layer.

Since a lot of the Genesis 5.1 remixes and especially the remastering were greeted with less than ideal reviews [common complaint: the mastering was too HOT], all these anomalies could be corrected with new 'ears,' updated technology and at NO additional [or very minimal] expense!

This move would surely increase sales as all Genesis box sets containing the surround remixes are OOP and if greatly improved with new remastering I for one would jump on ALL of them.

And I'm sure I am not alone.

Last edited:
Coming where? Also, perhaps we aren't talking 2023 AC. 🤔
Whatever they mean and whatever they’re trying to express, I did chuck it into my Acoustic Sounds wishlist along with about a dozen others.

May not get all of them, but nice to have all the ones I’m considering organized in one place.

I really think Atlantic Records and Analogue Productions should reconsider their strategy as pertains to all albums which have bona fide multi channel masters!

A former deterrent to US reissue companies regarding adding the multichannel layer was the added expense...and since Atlantic Records owns these mch masters there would be no added premium to adding the multichannel layer.

Since a lot of the Genesis 5.1 remixes and especially the remastering were greeted with less than ideal reviews [common complaint: the mastering was too HOT], all these anomalies could be corrected with new 'ears,' updated technology and at NO additional [or very minimal] expense!

This move would surely increase sales as all Genesis box sets containing the surround remixes are OOP and if greatly improved with new remastering I for one would jump on ALL of them.

And I'm sure I am not alone.
Maybe they already have plans in place for re-releasing all the Genesis albums in Atmos in the next few years (most likely in bloated box sets). If that were the case I could see why they’d be reluctant to include MC mixes. I’d be kind of pissed if I loaded up on these sacds and that ended up happening.

I love that in the comments someone watched that video and asked the question I think most of us are also wondering about:

“I ordered steely dan a royal scam sacd a while ago. Is there a release date yet?”

Even better that, despite this major announcement and focus on the 75th, Chad took the time to answer:

“It will probably be one of the last ones, hopefully by the end of 2024.”

Other Steely Dan news in a comments section for a video having nothing to do with Steely Dan: Pretzel Logic “has been ordered and should be [released] within a month.

Kudos to those who opt for the 45 rpm vinyl [+ local sales tax ]. As far as the free s/h goes, spending $120 per month for those 2 vinyl pressings would get you FREE s/h anyway as Acoustic Sounds advertises anything over $99 ships FREE.

Nothing about a similar subscription program for the SACDs ..... Hmmmm!

Guaranteed they will sound spectacular but I prefer to pick and choose what titles I buy in the SACD format ........as more than a few have also had recent MoFi Stereo SACD remasters and I do have a whole bunch of Atlantic titles on either SACD and/or MLP DVD~A audio 5.1 surround!

Nothing about a similar subscription program for the SACDs ..... Hmmmm!
That's because not every title is getting an SACD release. Those are limited to a select few, from what I got from the announcement.

And maybe it's HIGH TIME Sony reconsiders reactivating their Terre Haute Indiana SACD pressing plant in America's ❤️ Heartland!
God PLEASE it would save me so much money, and in turn lower everyone's costs.
Sony doesn't even have any Blu-ray/DVD pressing plants anymore here in the US, which is quite BAFFLING, to say the least.

Last edited:
And maybe it's HIGH TIME Sony reconsiders reactivating their Terre Haute Indiana SACD pressing plant in America's ❤️ Heartland!
Yes, I could not agree more, as I have fond memories of visiting the plant when vinyl was pressed there. Would love to author an SACD or two, but have to work through the Sony facility in Silverwater, NSW, Australia as I am located in Menindee, NSW, not far from Broken Hill. #JohnStevenLasher.

Back