BIG Blu-Ray Audio drive from Universal Music in 2013 - PART TWO

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh f****** no...

I have all their Mobile Fidelity CD's, but I want them in Blu Ray Audio!

I know.. such a disappointment :( a member over at SHF who runs a GNR site posted to the effect that they had it on good authority the HFPA Blu-ray of Appetite For Destruction would not be happening anytime soon.

though in all fairness, I will say this.. I think the message is finally getting through to ORM/HFPA that bonus tracks and 5.1's are in demand - a must in fact, if this endeavour is to work.

so no excuses but the Marvin Gaye HFPA was put together a good while before the feedback on Facebook and elsewhere had filtered through to ORM that bonus tracks etc were expected on HFPA rather than just the original album tracks in stereo with no bonuses.

I will only believe the message has gotten through when he starts consistently releasing material with more value.

As for the Marvin Gaye disc and the discrepancy between sleeve notes and disc content, it's just another example of his care-free, aloof attitude towards this whole thing thus far.

I will only believe the message has gotten through when he starts consistently releasing material with more value.

As for the Marvin Gaye disc and the discrepancy between sleeve notes and disc content, it's just another example of his care-free, aloof attitude towards this whole thing thus far.

sorry I didn't put it well (tired!) I meant the lack of bonuses per se being down to "early" HFPA discs that were compiled pre-Facebook feedback (the tirade on the HFPA Facebook page when 5.1 and extra tracks were nowhere to be found on the first discs really had an impact) rather than the discrepancy between what the book says is on the disc and the actual disc contents.. the discrepancy is down to cheap-ass, lazy-ass recycling of old CD booklets which is all any of the HFPA's have done so far. this is a cheap toe in the water test out job for Universal, the recycling continues with Genesis etc., recycled from the SACD! Honest!? Brazen!? :mad:@:

sorry I didn't put it well (tired!) I meant the lack of bonuses per se being down to "early" HFPA discs that were compiled pre-Facebook feedback (the tirade on the HFPA Facebook page when 5.1 and extra tracks were nowhere to be found on the first discs really had an impact) rather than the discrepancy between what the book says is on the disc and the actual disc contents.. the discrepancy is down to cheap-ass, lazy-ass recycling of old CD booklets which is all any of the HFPA's have done so far. this is a cheap toe in the water test out job for Universal, the recycling continues with Genesis etc., recycled from the SACD! Honest!? Brazen!? :mad:@:

Understood :)

To hark back to my previous post and comparing this to the launch of DVD, I was at the coalface of that particular revolution and saw first hand what made DVD take off. It wasn't about the high quality image (compared to VHS), it wasn't about the 5.1 audio even. No, the discs that sold the most were those that exploited the format for value added content. What really impressed the customer was the extra stuff. The featurettes, the documentaries, the extra audio, the galleries, etc. The majority of customers wanted good justification to buy the same titles again on this new format. Simply saying that the movie was in a better resolution, with 5.1 sound, chaptering and jitter free freeze frame just wasn't enough. Customers wanted increased value. I routinely had customers sifting through the discs we had, looking for the ones with extra, meaningful content. The ones I ended up having to send back on sale or return, or transfer out to other stores, were the ones that simply had the movie and nowt else on. Much like HFPA, some labels were brazen enough to release poor prints onto DVD, with 2.0 audio and poorly adapted covers, clearly taken from the VHS marketing material.

They will not get the masses to buy into HFPA if all they are delivering is the same album content they already own. Hi-Res audio isn't enough. Nor is 5.1. It will only ever appeal to audiophiles/fanboys/etc. and they'll lose them if they continue to deliver poor masters and misleading purchasers to the point of breaching trades description legislation.

If they added more content and/or provided previously available bonus tracks, then they'd sell you one disc and you'd be done. Instead, they can upgrade the product quality and/or add content to keep you buying it again and again and again...

With all due respect, we keep missing this point again and again and again...

As to care with booklets, etc., there is no attention to detail because everything is done "on the cheap." Let's face facts, it's all a cash grab. We romanticize all this stuff and miss the obvious: these people don't care about us, the artists or their art. It's just more sausages being cranked out with no concern for art or quality.

If they added more content and/or provided previously available bonus tracks, then they'd sell you one disc and you'd be done. Instead, they can upgrade the product quality and/or add content to keep you buying it again and again and again...

With all due respect, we keep missing this point again and again and again...

Oh, I think it's a given that this is what they're trying to do. My point was that when DVD launched, whilst I have no doubt that the studios saw it as a way to get money for old rope, they saw the opportunity to increase the value. People will be happy to buy stuff a second or third time, provided there is added value. I have 3 copies of 'Rumours' because of this. The regular CD, which was improved upon by the 3xCD set and then the DVD-A, which improved in other ways. Simply releasing the same tracks in 24/96 will not be perceived as increased value buy the music buying masses. When the studios moved to Blu Ray, there was added value in that format, over and above the HD images and hi-res audio. Blu Ray offered space for more content and online content too. It was not as big a leap as DVD was from VHS, but there was perceivable value add.

As to care with booklets, etc., there is no attention to detail because everything is done "on the cheap." Let's face facts, it's all a cash grab. We romanticize all this stuff and miss the obvious: these people don't care about us, the artists or their art. It's just more sausages being cranked out with no concern for art or quality.

Agreed 100%. ORM and his HFPA 'jolly' is so obviously a re-monetizing exercise in the Emperor's new clothes. He hopes the mass market won't see it, and that they will blindly buy on the back of the current craze for HD 'everything'. If he continues to pedal his shoddy wares, he will increase the chance of getting caught out. By bringing pressure on him, we may see him respond and improve the offering, but I fear he won't and we'll be left with another missed opportunity.

I don't think any of us are missing the point. I think many of us will be happy to buy HFPA discs as long as there is discernible added value and that they are technically superior than previous versions, but I am reluctant to pay £17 a disc for no more than the same 10-odd tracks I already own in a reasonable 2.0 format.

I don't think any of us are missing the point. I think many of us will be happy to buy HFPA discs as long as there is discernible added value and that they are technically superior than previous versions, but I am reluctant to pay £17 a disc for no more than the same 10-odd tracks I already own in a reasonable 2.0 format.

I will go a step further and say I absolutely, positively won't buy any of these recordings on Blu ray that I already own in a 2.0 format or even a 5.1 format. My only interest in any of this is the 5.1 material, of which there is not a lot so far. I picked up the Tommy and the Beck discs because I had not previously purchased those. As far as the other 5.1 releases, I either don't want them or already have them in another format, so I won't be buying those again. As far as Universal thinking we are the stupid ones for continuing to spend our hard earned dollars on this stuff, it's kind of a catch 22. If we want to potentially see more 5.1 material we need to support the releases by purchasing them. On the flip side, as long as we keep purchasing titles we aren't completely satisfied with because they are not offering any added value over what's been released in the past, then that may be a message to Universal that they don't have to step up their game.

I will go a step further and say I absolutely, positively won't buy any of these recordings on Blu ray that I already own in a 2.0 format or even a 5.1 format. My only interest in any of this is the 5.1 material, of which there is not a lot so far. I picked up the Tommy and the Beck discs because I had not previously purchased those. As far as the other 5.1 releases, I either don't want them or already have them in another format, so I won't be buying those again. As far as Universal thinking we are the stupid ones for continuing to spend our hard earned dollars on this stuff, it's kind of a catch 22. If we want to potentially see more 5.1 material we need to support the releases by purchasing them. On the flip side, as long as we keep purchasing titles we aren't completely satisfied with because they are not offering any added value over what's been released in the past, then that may be a message to Universal that they don't have to step up their game.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts concerning "Tommy" when you get a chance to listen to it a few times. Beck is on the way and hopefully will be here by Saturday. Although I still have around 15 I haven't opened and listened to yet, I'm considering ordering Supertramp "Crime Of The Century", Stones "Exile On Main Street" and more Classical and Jazz releases.

Looks like Universal have announced more "HFPA" discs including "Pet Sounds" and "Let It Bleed"

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/search/adva...rd_blu-ray+audio/sort_datedesc/target_SEARCH/

I'm curious to hear your thoughts concerning "Tommy" when you get a chance to listen to it a few times. Beck is on the way and hopefully will be here by Saturday. Although I still have around 15 I haven't opened and listened to yet, I'm considering ordering Supertramp "Crime Of The Century", Stones "Exile On Main Street" and more Classical and Jazz releases.

Looks like Universal have announced more "HFPA" discs including "Pet Sounds" and "Let It Bleed"

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/search/adva...rd_blu-ray+audio/sort_datedesc/target_SEARCH/

Interesting to see Pet Sounds on that list. I wonder if they'll mirror the DVD-A with the 1.0, 2.0 and 5.1 mixes?

Oh, I think it's a given that this is what they're trying to do. My point was that when DVD launched, whilst I have no doubt that the studios saw it as a way to get money for old rope, they saw the opportunity to increase the value. People will be happy to buy stuff a second or third time, provided there is added value. I have 3 copies of 'Rumours' because of this.
Good point!! They sold Star Wars over and over and over again, and every time the 'fish" bought into it.

Is there a definitive conclusion to what's wrong with the Pet Sounds 5.1 mix? I've heard that there are possibly both channel placement and phase errors, but also that the mix is screwed up in a more intrinsic way that correcting channel placement or phase issues wouldn't fix. Thoughts anyone?

Pet Sounds is one of the biggest surround disappointments, kind of like Lennon's Imagine. DPLII decoding of this stereo title is vastly preferable.

Tears for fears - The Hurting is again a disappointing release from hfpa. After the fantastic deluxe release from Oktober with 3cds + DVD they are putting only the Albumtracks on the Blu ray disc without any bonus...they will never learn:howl

Tears for fears - The Hurting is again a disappointing release from hfpa. After the fantastic deluxe release from Oktober with 3cds + DVD they are putting only the Albumtracks on the Blu ray disc without any bonus...they will never learn:howl

Indeed. For more than half of the price of the excellent box set, you get 10 tracks at 24/96. Something in the water does not compute...

Here is my self portrait, filtered through the prism of Universal Music:
mystery-flavor_5.jpg
Yes, I'm the mystery flavor.

I'll say this about the Pure Audio format, the disappointing releases with their lack of 5.1 audio has really made me seek out all the DVD-Audios and SACDs I can find that were mixed in 5.1. I was listening to The Doors LA Woman DVD-audio in my car today while doing some Christmas errands and was really blown away with the job Elektra did on that title. It's such a shame that this new format is really nothing more than a cash grab by Universal. I mean we're getting some gems like the Beck Sea Change album that is almost impossible to get at the $20-$30 price point of the Blu-ray but overall it's really such a missed opportunity.

Back