BIG Blu-Ray Audio drive from Universal Music in 2013 - PART TWO

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just ordered the Beck's "Sea Change" again, this time from Canada (DHL lost the last one! from Aus I think). Also ordered (again from Canada - but appropriately this time!) Oscar Peterson's "Night Train" only stereo, its a live recording from 1962 - my father had this one, and if I remember rightly its pretty good. One of the most amazing concerts I've been too was with my father & brother a few years ago to see Oscar Peterson in Birmingham Symphony Hall (UK).

Sorry to hear that your original order was lost in the mail. Hopefully your new order arrives quickly. I'm curious if you have ordered any of the other jazz "HFPA" releases and if so, which releases would you recommend? I already have Oscar Peterson's "Night Train" and Coltrane's "Love Supreme" deluxe edition but do not have other versions to compare these "HFPA" editions to. In case you or anyone else are interested, there are also some live German shows that have been released of Peterson, Coltrane and other classic jazz giants. If anyone already has any of these, would you kindly post your thoughts? Thanks….

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Peterson-Trio-1961-Cologne-Gürzenich-Concert/dp/B00EJYGGXI/ref=pd_sim_m_h__1

I will admit I haven't watched that film (will try and dig it out on Netflix) but this song has quite a personal meaning for me. That, and it's an absolute musical masterpiece :)

I did see EJ perform this live recently and, as you point out, the ladies take care of the high parts. Even EJ himself is surprised about how much his voice has changed over the years. It is scary when you listen to that early stuff and to something more recent. I know it comes to us all, but EJ's is quite extreme!

There's a wonderful old clip (on the "Two Rooms" documentary) of Elton talking about the writing process with Bernie, from whom he has just received some new lyrics.

Elton briefly scans the first few lines on the sheet of A4 in his hand and reads the words out loud.. "Blue Jean baby, LA lady, seamstress for the band.." he then turns to the camera and says "..and then comes the word 'Ballerina'.. and so I know its gonna be something.. slow".

Then he turns back to the piano.. pops the sheet of A4 on the upright.. and - bang - instantly there's the chords, there's the melody, there's the bare bones, the basis of the song!

He's written the song "Tiny Dancer" totally on the spot right before your very eyes!

Absolutely incredible. :worthy

as for Elt's voice, I could write a book on the twists and turns it's taken..

..from the supple versatile thing of beauty of the 70's and early 80's, you can hear it start to deteriorate around 83/84, so that by the time of Leather Jackets the voice and him in general was not, in his own words, "a well budgie"..

..the drug and booze-addled and bulimia-led mid-late 80's (doing endless lines of coke, smoking joints to come down off the gear.. then binge-eating thru the comedown.. knocking back a jar of cockles, a tub of ice cream, washed down with a bottle of Scotch, then throwing it all up) really knackered his voice. that combined with punishing touring & recording schedules and not using his voice's natural register or looking after it or even warming up before going on stage.. all took its toll.. he got nodules etc, the surgeons saved his voice but he lost his falsetto (was the official line) well it was never the same again, though he did the most he could with it and really his voice only became aggravatingly awful (for me) around 6-7 years ago..

..and so we're onto the shouty gravelly worn out mess it's now become.

I love him to death but I almost wish he would retire and let the legacy of his music speak for itself rather than risk unravelling it with woefully inferior "product" like his awful last album and a voice that is well past its prime.

his voice was once as much the lead instrument as the piano or anything else but now he huffs and puffs and bellows his way thru a ridiculously long setlist night after night on crazily punishing tours for an overweight little guy knocking on 67's door, maybe he should think about smelling a few roses and taking it easy at last. he won't, he'll probably die on stage but that's what he wants apparently, he's said as much in interviews, so good on him, the old poof! the show must go on! (y)

There's a wonderful old clip (on the "Two Rooms" documentary) of Elton talking about the writing process with Bernie, from whom he has just received some new lyrics.

Elton briefly scans the first few lines on the sheet of A4 in his hand and reads the words out loud.. "Blue Jean baby, LA lady, seamstress for the band.." he then turns to the camera and says "..and then comes the word 'Ballerina'.. and so I know its gonna be something.. slow".

Then he turns back to the piano.. pops the sheet of A4 on the upright.. and - bang - instantly there's the chords, there's the melody, there's the bare bones, the basis of the song!

He's written the song "Tiny Dancer" totally on the spot right before your very eyes!

Yes, I remember seeing that and just thinking... genius :)

I must see if I can find that and watch it again.

Listening to the Hurting, from TFF. I cannot give the best review on sound qualitiy due to a cold :(

The booklet is very informative, but probably only because this is copied from last year's box set.

Mastering is done by......

Peter Mew.

Apparently his pensionscheme is not paying that much, as he is back in the masterign seat. Pity for him and us :)

Listening to the Hurting, from TFF. I cannot give the best review on sound qualitiy due to a cold :(

The booklet is very informative, but probably only because this is copied from last year's box set.

Mastering is done by

Peter Mew.

Apparently his pensionscheme is not paying that much, as he is back in the masterign seat. Pity for him and us :)
Could that it just says that because it was copied from last year's box set. Hope so anyway.

Could that it just says that because it was copied from last year's box set. Hope so anyway.

my John Lennon IMAGINE arrived today. ordered on friday from the UK arrived today in Ohio USA. its clean and clear.... now waiting on my Genesis to arrive later this week and cant wait til let it bleed shows up.

now if we could only get Crime of the century to exist.

would love George Harrison All things must pass on blu ray

Mastering is done by......

Peter Mew.

Oh good grief... the last thing HFPA needs is a load of Mewtilated masterings...:mad:@:

I played the Tommy Blu-ray in stereo for the first time last night. Sounds very clear. I could understand the vocals with no problem. Used a Pioneer Elite Blu-ray player with Wolfson DACs. This may be a remix and if so they did a good job on it, otherwise it's still good. I may compare some of it to the standard SACD later.

[video=youtube_share;LkonL4fd2Iw]http://youtu.be/LkonL4fd2Iw[/video]

Just been playing the Ella and Louis disc, have to say for what I paid excellent value two albums one of them a double, the great American Song Book jazz style Oscar Peterson accompanying. So well recorded they, knew how to record in the 50's
This has to be one of the better non 5.1 HFPA disc

Just been playing the Ella and Louis disc, have to say for what I paid excellent value two albums one of them a double, the great American Song Book jazz style Oscar Peterson accompanying. So well recorded they, knew how to record in the 50's
This has to be one of the better non 5.1 HFPA disc

I agree its beautifully recorded and it's great to have so much fabulous music on the one disc (as more of these HFPA's should have) but I found most of it to be a bit bright and kind of sterile with little of the warmth or character of the old French Polygram/Verve 90's CDs I've loved for 'ears an' 'ears :)

Got my copies of Imagine and Tears For Fears today...
Lennon sounds very nice, Imagine still a bit muffled but the rest is pretty good.
Haven't played the TFF yet.

Been recovering many of my vinyl LPs over the past few weeks and was amazed to find among them last night not one but two copies of "Songs in the Key of Life".

THIS is the way it was meant to be heard! Leaves the Blu-Ray for dust.

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left Blu-ray Pure Audio

I´ve ordered it in Oktober 13. The release date went weekly on weekly near to the end of the year until it was a longer time on 14th Feb. 14. Now I hoped it was shipped, but what must I see?

"This disc is not available at this time" :p

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left Blu-ray Pure Audio

I´ve ordered it in Oktober 13. The release date went weekly on weekly near to the end of the year until it was a longer time on 14th Feb. 14. Now I hoped it was shipped, but what must I see?

"This disc is not available at this time" :p

Now I´ve canceled it from amazon.de and tried the amazon.uk order :mad:@:

Now I´ve canceled it from amazon.de and tried the amazon.uk order :mad:@:

My order is on the universal web site and it still has not shipped dispite the store still showing a 17th Feb release date.

I think at the moment we have two hopes

Bob Hope and No Hope

Back