Steven Wilson CD vs. High-Res: If SW can't tell the difference...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the difference to me is that the hirez formats sound to me, "softer" in the trebles.
This is what I was talking about. So many CD editions have a bionic treble boost (along with the weapons grade brick wall limiting) that most people think the format causes that. You are hearing different intentional mastering work with the HD delivered titles you prefer. Neither 44.1k sample rate nor 16 bit sample size alters the high end like that.

This one you can prove to yourself with free software. Convert your favorite HD track (with the softer trebles) to 44.1k and then to 16 bit. What do you hear?

This is what I was talking about. So many CD editions have a bionic treble boost (along with the weapons grade brick wall limiting) that most people think the format causes that. You are hearing different intentional mastering work with the HD delivered titles you prefer. Neither 44.1k sample rate nor 16 bit sample size alters the high end like that.

This one you can prove to yourself with free software. Convert your favorite HD track (with the softer trebles) to 44.1k and then to 16 bit. What do you hear?
Unless, of course, the "softer trebles" are coming from the use of less steep reconstruction filters on a DAC with poor 44.1/48kHz performance. That's highly doubtful, though.

Before it was possible to reproduce sound with a virtual reality realism, early attempts had a "signature" to their sound caused by artifacts of the system. And caused by artistic use of the system that would try to give the vibe of unachievable realism in artistic ways.

Using green and purple makeup in a black and white movie production because it made more realism looking contrast. No one was thinking they actually wanted to see purple in that example. Early recordings had similar artistic approaches to get across touches of realism that was technically beyond the tech.
I read some articles on what they did in the days of acoustic recording to get a viable product. Here are some of the tricks they used:

- Used a cello instead of a string bass.
- A tom-tom was substituted for a kick drum.
- Special violins were made with a horn attached to the bridge to aim sound toward the recording horn.
- Some parts were placed in a big parabolic horn aimed at the recording horn.
- The front was removed from an upright piano to send more sound to the horn.
- Flutes were substituted for piccolos.
- Some recording horns had bells over 10 feet in diameter.

In some early CD releases, they were not thinking and left in the RIAA pre-emphasis intended for an LP in the recording.

I’ve done a couple of tests with my system, which is mostly comprised of an Oppo 105 and a Marantz 7701 pre-pro.

I have one album in both SACD and DVD-A. I prefer the SACD, because the DVD-A sounds kind of muffled compared to it. Other DVD-As don’t sound that way, so it doesn’t indicate that I can hear a difference between formats, just between those two releases.

I’ve played FLAC files, both on a thumb drive and from my NAS through both, and I prefer the sound when it’s decoded by my Oppo. But not by much. And it may well be a difference in volume that caused that difference. I admit that I didn’t measure the volume.

Oh, by the way, I have a large number of MP3s in my collection. Some are excellent. Some sound likr shit.

The problem is in the digital domain before the bits go onto the CD. The CD itself is a good media for storing music faithfully. I have some classical CDs that sound excellent. Rock CDs as well. An example is my latest buy: Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways (2016 remaster). Although Wilson had some limitations of his digital sources, it sounds good.
Some more:
YES - Talk. I've the original release from the 90's. Good sound too.
Many Pink Floyd CDs. And so on.

Back