Denon AVR 4400H gets hot?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Honestly, this is just something I've noticed....my 4400H is sitting on top of my cabinet, with complete openness and yet after a few minutes of being turned on...it gets pretty damn hot on top at the vents. Without even playing music. Simply turned on.

I never really though much about it, until I got an amp from Emotiva, XPA GEN 3, 5 channel. In comparison, the Emotiva runs very cool. And, it is slightly enclosed compared to the Denon AVR.

So, should I be worried?

I have the same AVR, bought it when it first came out and haven't had a problem. It does get very hot, same as yours. Mine is installed in a cabinet with only 1 1/2" clearance, so I installed a temperature activated fan in the back panel. Strange thing is my Marantz amplifier also in the cabinet doesn't even get warm to touch.

Last edited:
A mains powered USB power supply with 2 x 5W usb sockets powers my 2 twin fan coolers on my two main power amps. Cheap solution. The usb power supply is on same power board as one of the amps. As soon as I turn on the power the usb fans come on.

The 4 fans lay flat on the amps and cool them significantly. Both amps are in an open cabinet so plenty of air movement. Fans are completely silent.

I am enamored with that unit but I'll still need to put a hole in the back of the cabinet where my AVR is to help with circulation. May as well put a fan on the back there as well.

I highly recommend these -- turn 'em on, then forget them. Last a long time, as well.
Just note the T8 is rear exhaust only . . . if you step up to the S9 or T10 range you can get Front Exhaust or Top Exhaust options. Depends on your set-up.
Front exhaust worked for me and kept the heat out of the enclosure space.

The price is the same and the only difference in the 3 is fan placement and that the rearward placed fan is 3db louder than the other two.

Back