June 2024 D-V Quad SACDs (Isley Bros., Hair OST, Enoch Light, Tomita)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Here's what's next! Though, the last 2 are stereo only.

1717583975577.png

Isley Brothers! I found 3 + 3 in Japan several years back–it's phenomenal! And i have an SQ of Go For Your Guns which is even better! HIGHLY recommended!
in the words of Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes; "wooooaahhh yeaaahhh!!!" 🥳🎺🎉🥁

some good stuff cometh from The Watford Wiz!! 😍😋

no kidding about the Quad mix of "Go For Your Guns"! 😅 the artful use of reverb from front to back in "Voyage To Atlantis" is extraordinary, SQ did it's best with a deft v.late entry CBS mix but the SQ vinyl wasn't the best quality resulting in some sibilance issues and the Q8 was so mega scarce i could never find it at all..! 🤷🏻‍♀️

that gem, bundled with the Quads of the Classics "3+3" and "Live It Up", i'm sure both sounding better than ever, makes for a potentially mouthwateringly juicily fabulous set, almost as tasty as Billy's Bagpipes!! "come to the Cabaret, old chum!" 😂🍷👀🎺 oops, wrong band! 🤭😂

Here's what's next! Though, the last 2 are stereo only.

View attachment 106280
BOOM!! 🤯 how's that for an explosive batch of 4-channel goodness! 💘🤣

the moon is in the seventh house, Jupiter's collided with Mars and we are ready in our sweet spots for the dawning of the age of Quadraphonicarius!! ✌️☮️💃🏾🥳

thanks for the heads up General Gossimo! 🤗😍 Tomita, Isleys, Hair and Enoch = instant purchase! 👍 ker-ching! 🤑

Am I the only one seriously disappointed with this selection?
I know, I sound like a grumpy old man. But with all the phenomenal releases recently from Rhino, SDE, Cherry Red, etc, this is disappointing.

On the plus side, I don't need to spend any more money (which I've done way too much on other releases lately.)

I ordered Hair even though I have the recent LP colored release and only because in Quad. Not really one of my favorites except for the familiar tunes.

I know, I sound like a grumpy old man. But with all the phenomenal releases recently from Rhino, SDE, Cherry Red, etc, this is disappointing.

On the plus side, I don't need to spend any more money (which I've done way too much on other releases lately.)
it's all good 🤩 we can't love everything and thankfully we're not obliged to buy anything at all if it doesn't float our boat! 🙂👍

personally squeaking, i've been hoping, no longing (!) for Surround SACDs of the Isley Brothers Quads for well over a decade 🙏 there's various posts on QQ of me pining for them over the years! 😅🤞

so for me "just" the Isleys 3-fer (woo!! 🥳 ) makes this a brilliant batch, with the other very Surround-y Tomita and fun Enoch Light stuff the yummy icing on a Hair-y cake! 🎂💘😋

You’ve described my reaction in a nutshell.
Love the Isleys, especially 3 + 3, but have enough versions (including the SACD) to last me a lifetime. But relieved to save the money.
And I hope there is a lot here for fans of the other artists. :)

I'll buy the 4 quads but not as excited about them as the Rhino stuff coming out. Looking forward to the next Rhino batch!

I'm a bit disappointed as well. I will most likely purchase some/most of these but I'm in no hurry. I was hoping to see the rest of "The Guess Who", I know that they aren't the best quad mixes but in particular, content wise I love "Power in the Music".

Likewise the rest of Bachman Turner Overdrive, please. We already have "Not Fragile" on DTS CD but a re-release would be a sonic upgrade. Also "Four Wheel Drive" contains my favourite BTO track "She's a Devil"! I would settle for a 2fer of "Four Wheel Drive" and "Head On".

Then those artists related to "Rick Derringer", Edgar and Johnny Winter, so many great titles there to choose from!!

For me, all of the discrete Isley Bros. quad mixes (3+3, Harvest for the World and Go For Your Guns) are the definitive way to hear these albums, and are right up there with the PIR quads done at Sigma Sound for the best mixes ever done for the SQ format.

For anyone who already has 3+3 and is on the fence about this set - aside from the fact hat you absolutely need the other two albums - without even having heard Mike Dutton's new mastering I can absolutely say it will be an upgrade on the old Sony SACD (which was one of my most played) because a) it's sourced from a brand-new DSD transfer of the original quad master whereas the Sony SACD was sourced from a 16/44.1 ADAT, and b) the old Sony SACD is missing the rear channels for the first 15 seconds of track 6 'What It Comes Down To' which surely will be remedied on the new D-V release.

The quad mix of Go For Your Guns is one of the best ever.

Completely agree with this - Larry Keyes was involved with quad at CBS from its earliest days and his wealth of experience really shows on this album. This was one of the last four pop quads that CBS released in April of 1977, and if they were going to go out they really went out with a bang.

it's all good 🤩 we can't love everything and thankfully we're not obliged to buy anything at all if it doesn't float our boat! 🙂👍

personally squeaking, i've been hoping, no longing (!) for Surround SACDs of the Isley Brothers Quads for well over a decade 🙏 there's various posts on QQ of me pining for them over the years! 😅🤞

so for me "just" the Isleys 3-fer (woo!! 🥳 ) makes this a brilliant batch, with the other very Surround-y Tomita and fun Enoch Light stuff the yummy icing on a Hair-y cake! 🎂💘😋
Very happy with the Isley set as well. Wish Brother, Brother, Brother had been mixed to quad. I had never heard the whole album until I bought the big Isley Brothers box; now it is one of my favorites. I really like the Carole King covers, but "Work To Do" is hard to beat.
I ordered late this morning and already received a shipping notification.

Last edited:
Very happy with the Isley set as well. Wish Brother, Brother, Brother had been mixed to quad. I had never heard the whole album until I bought the big Isley Brothers box; now it is one of my favorites. I really like the Carole King covers, but "Work To Do" is hard to beat.
I ordered late this morning and already received a shipping notification.

I agree, like all of those albums that immediately precede 3+3 you can hear the group bursting with creativity and each album feels like a quantum leap in quality from the one before it.

I'm not sure exactly why it wasn't released in quad, but I suspect it's simply because the Isleys hadn't really (re) crossed over into the mainstream again like they would the following year with 3+3. Interestingly, the album was engineered by Michael DeLugg (who did the Barry Manilow quad mixes a few years later) and recorded at Phil Ramone's A&R Studios in New York (where all the Enoch Light quad mixes were done, amongst others) so the conditions certainly would've been right for a quad mix of Brother, Brother, Brother to come to fruition.

Back