June 2024 D-V Quad SACDs (Isley Bros., Hair OST, Enoch Light, Tomita)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely getting the Tomita & Isley's, debating on Hair as I'm really not a fan of musicals. But, I do love the track Aquarius (5th Dimension version is the one I know), if I remember correctly (I'd have been 10-11) there was a lot of a 'fuss' when Hair was first performed on stage in London!

Since I'm a rabid film buff, the only analogy I can offer is 35mm film is certainly superior to 16mm and 70mm superior to 35mm! And it's ALL up there on the BIG SCREEN!
Theory and observed results support better picture quality in those cases. But there will come a point where the human eye can see no more detail, and we are well past that point for audio.

Since DTS Entertainment was 'presented' with a number of ADAT 16b/44.1kHZ tapes for their DTS 5.1 remixes I could ALWAYS clearly hear the difference on my system as opposed to when DTS was working from the original analogue multi tracks. IMO, NO comparison.
I hadn't understood the issues with ADAT as stored on tape. As a transport medium over optical there is nothing wrong with it.

I am ordering "Hair" and Enoch Light along with two catalog items to comply with GOS' law. The Wizard comes through again.
This whole topic has my HAIR standing on EDGE! These new quads are very, very nice. I have the 5.1SACD of The Isley Bros "3+3" which is simply amazing! I've been wanting more of their 5.1. Michael Dutton strikes again!

This whole topic has my HAIR standing on EDGE! These new quads are very, very nice. I have the 5.1SACD of The Isley Bros "3+3" which is simply amazing! I've been wanting more of their 5.1. Michael Dutton strikes again!
Well, Steve if you read steelydave's post #16 on this thread you will be happy to know that the Isley Brothers 3 + 3 has been newly DSD remastered from the original analogue masters and that D~V's version has been struck from this new remaster!

The old SONY 3 + 3 multi~CH SACD was derived from an ADAT 16/44.1 master so the difference should be quite revelatory!

I'm a little underwhelmed by this selection, too. The Highlight of the bunch is obviously the Isley Bros. stuff. Hair is a natural and I'm honestly surprised it's taken this long to happen. One would've thought that'd have been one of the first titles D-V unearthed. I'm always down for more Enoch Light....but these two albums are not favorites. I'm waiting for the big one "Charge!" to come out. That one is a good listen start to finish. A couple others I'd rather see as well like the "Big Hits" series of the 50's, 60's and 70's.... the two albums with the Light Brigade....

Makes me wonder if we've hit a wall.

I'm a little underwhelmed by this selection, too. The Highlight of the bunch is obviously the Isley Bros. stuff. Hair is a natural and I'm honestly surprised it's taken this long to happen. One would've thought that'd have been one of the first titles D-V unearthed. I'm always down for more Enoch Light....but these two albums are not favorites. I'm waiting for the big one "Charge!" to come out. That one is a good listen start to finish. A couple others I'd rather see as well like the "Big Hits" series of the 50's, 60's and 70's.... the two albums with the Light Brigade....

Makes me wonder if we've hit a wall.
With Surround Sound and most especially ATMOS making a larger than expected splash in 2024, I would think the majors are being more selective what titles, most especially A list ones, they license to reissue companies.

IMO, Dutton Vocalion continues to get my vote for at least attempting to reissue diverse titles although I fully realize for the rock and roll crowd which dominates this forum those titles are NOT on their radar! But do keep in mind that D~V in the last few years has singlehandedly released more SURROUND titles than all the other reissue companies COMBINED at nice prices which cannot be beat!

We finally have RHINO/Warner on board and they're churning them out in ways I never expected [including newly remixed ATMOS BD~A titles] and of course SONY Japan has been sluggish in releasing only a handful of QUAD SACDs per year in their special 7" packaging but I suspect in time, that number will increase to keep pace with the demand.

With UMG choosing to release BD~As in elaborate box sets, I also can envision them resurrecting their stand alone BD~A Launch, Part II to lessen the cost of those uber pricey box sets which almost no one really want...especially if they contain vinyl.

But we have a LOT to celebrate in 2024! We're finally graduating from a whisper to a near shout in the number of surround titles currently available and pre announced.

The question arises ... can our wallets continue to take the hit? IMO, hell, YEAH! The secret: just be MORE selective!

Last edited:
The old SONY 3 + 3 multi~CH SACD was derived from an ADAT 16/44.1 master so the difference should be quite revelatory!
Is this the case for many or all of the Sony pop / rock SACDs from 20+ odd years ago? Was that the standard way in which they were mastered?

Got up this morning and had a nice surprise! Just placed order for the 4 quads.

I do have one question: Why was "Big Band Hits Of the '30s-Vol.2" released before Vol.1?
Certainly no big deal since I am sure we will get Vol.1 eventually.
From my armchair quarterbacking, I say start with "Big Band Hits Of The '20s" and work your way up, but I don't make the calls :).

Edit: Almost forgot, I am glad for the "Hair" release. I love Original Broadway Recordings. Let's hope for "Fiddler On The Roof" and "Hello, Dolly!".

Last edited:
Found the back covers on Amazon, wonder why D-V won't use these on their website...
(click for full size)
TomitaB.jpg
IsleyB.jpg
HairB.jpg
EnochB.jpg

Theory and observed results support better picture quality in those cases. But there will come a point where the human eye can see no more detail, and we are well past that point for audio.
Right, we got to that point with 24/96kHz and 24/192kHz especially, and NOT 16/44.1 which does not hold up to mastering moves very well without loss entering the project.

Last edited:
I ordered the 3 multis , passed on Tomita this time around. Hope they arrive uncracked...

..and as usual shipping notice not long after that....are you listening Gnarlywood???

Well done mr. Dutton, especially on digging out the Isleys.

Need a 4th for GOS's Law. Knowing none of these, is any a standout?
MFSB - Philadelphia Freedom & Summertime
The Hues Corporation - Rockin' Soul & Love Corporation
The Main Ingredient - Euphrates River

Back