June 2024 D-V Quad SACDs (Isley Bros., Hair OST, Enoch Light, Tomita)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isley Brothers Quads have always been on the top of big wants from the vaults. Great to see it finally happen. Also, 3 + 3 will presumably have the channels corrected from the Sony 2000s release. Isley Brothers Rock!
i haven't directly compared the old SACD with DV's new SACD using waveform analysis etc.. yet ☺️ .. i imagine, however, that the channel assignments and balances will have been carefully checked and may well have been adjusted. i have faith in whatever conclusion DV have come to since as far as we know they've not got any channels fudged up so far! 🙏

either way, without having resorted to cranking up the computer at this stage, i can safely say the new DV mastering in its own right sounds absolutely fabulous and i think people here who are interested in the 3+3 phase of the Isley's musical output will love the sound quality 💘

Isley Brothers Quads have always been on the top of big wants from the vaults. Great to see it finally happen. Also, 3 + 3 will presumably have the channels corrected from the Sony 2000s release. Isley Brothers Rock!
I’d like to know about that particular issue with the older 3 + 3 SACD, see if they confirmed things were fine as is… or fixed assigned rear channels on new DV SACD?

These new Isley Brothers quad titles on DV SACD might include a couple of higher profile albums commercially and creatively than the previous ones from last year.

in the words of Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes; "wooooaahhh yeaaahhh!!!" 🥳🎺🎉🥁

some good stuff cometh from The Watford Wiz!! 😍😋

no kidding about the Quad mix of "Go For Your Guns"! 😅 the artful use of reverb from front to back in "Voyage To Atlantis" is extraordinary, SQ did it's best with a deft v.late entry CBS mix but the SQ vinyl wasn't the best quality resulting in some sibilance issues and the Q8 was so mega scarce i could never find it at all..! 🤷🏻‍♀️

that gem, bundled with the Quads of the Classics "3+3" and "Live It Up", i'm sure both sounding better than ever, makes for a potentially mouthwateringly juicily fabulous set, almost as tasty as Billy's Bagpipes!! "come to the Cabaret, old chum!" 😂🍷👀🎺 oops, wrong band! 🤭😂
Fredblue, you're getting me awfully excited for these latest Isley Brothers releases. If that was your goal, mission accomplished, sir! I'll never forget the first time I heard Go For Your Guns at a party not long after it'd come out. I was blown away by the perfect combination of exquisite funk/soulfulness and psychedelic guitar work...sublime. As much as I'm anticipating hearing the cut "Voyage to Atlantis" based on your comments above, I'm looking forward to hearing the other slowburner, "Footsteps in the Dark" in MCH goodness. I have no idea if anyone at Dutton Vocalion frequents this forum but if so, many thanks to Michael Dutton and Co. for releasing more great Isley Brothers quad releases on SACD!👏

Last edited:
Fredblue, you're getting me awfully excited for these latest Isley Brothers releases. If that was your goal, mission accomplished, sir! I'll never forget the first time I heard Go For Your Guns at a party not long after it'd come out. I was blown away by the perfect combination of exquisite funk/soulfulness and psychedelic guitar work...sublime. As much as I'm anticipating hearing the cut "Voyage to Atlantis" based on your comments above, I'm looking forward to hearing the other slowburner, "Footsteps in the Dark" in MCH goodness. I have no idea if anyone at Dutton Vocalion frequents this forum but if so, many thanks to Michael Dutton and Co. for releasing more great Isley Brothers quad releases on SACD!👏
please maintain a suitably high level of excitement! 🙏🤞 😅

until your discs arrive and you hit that play button and then i hope, as i did, you can bask in the beauty of how right all concerned got their stuff together back in 1977, when flares were wide and waistlines were narrow! 🪩🕺🏾🤩💘🤗

you know those exquisite vocal refrains and harmonies in "Footsteps In The Dark"? 👀😋

🎶 "..in - the - dark... woah-ohhhh, ohhhh-ohhhh ohhh.." 🎶

they are panned beautifully to the Rear channels in the late great Larry Keyes' Quad mix and to my middle-aged lugholes, they have never sounded more delightful than they do now ❤️😍

3 + 3 will presumably have the channels corrected from the Sony 2000s release. Isley Brothers Rock!
I read that thread, but I didn’t consider that it might be why Isleys [...] have what only appears to be swapped channels (as well) in their quad mixes. In fact I didn’t see Isleys mentioned at all in that thread. I thank you for connecting the dots if dots are there to connect.
The dots are partially connected in post #45 of that thread, where @steelydave specifically cites "That Lady" as an example what he now considered, after hearing Arthur Stoppe's explanation and digesting a certain quantity of crow, deliberate diagonal panning--even after having convinced himself a decade earlier that it was a case of mistaken channel assignment. (Ditto @sjcorne in a different thread and @fredblue in yet another. Praises be to the "Search" function!) Of course one is still free to decide that 3+3 sounds better with a channel swap.

The dots are partially connected in post #45 of that thread, where @steelydave specifically cites "That Lady" as an example what he now considered, after hearing Arthur Stoppe's explanation and digesting a certain quantity of crow, deliberate diagonal panning--even after having convinced himself a decade earlier that it was a case of mistaken channel assignment. (Ditto @sjcorne in a different thread and @fredblue in yet another. Praises be to the "Search" function!) Of course one is still free to decide that 3+3 sounds better with a channel swap.
Yes which still begs the question of why were "Birds of Fire" rear channels swapped. And the circular panning that existed before the swap, was that rule breaking for SQ, that pan? So chans were swapped? I know it's another thread.

tbh i'd been going on about how i thought maybe they weren't wrongly assigned after all 🤷🏻‍♀️ for a number of years before Dave went and got it straight from the horse's mouth and proved it once and for all..!! hoorah!!! 🙏😻🎉

Yes which still begs the question of why were "Birds of Fire" rear channels swapped.
It’s actually the front channels that are swapped on the Birds of Fire AF SACD. Both the original stereo and SQ LPs have Jerry Goodman’s violin in the left channel and John McLaughlin’s guitar in the right channel, but on the AF disc their positions are reversed.

please maintain a suitably high level of excitement! 🙏🤞 😅

until your discs arrive and you hit that play button and then i hope, as i did, you can bask in the beauty of how right all concerned got their stuff together back in 1977, when flares were wide and waistlines were narrow! 🪩🕺🏾🤩💘🤗

you know those exquisite vocal refrains and harmonies in "Footsteps In The Dark"? 👀😋

🎶 "..in - the - dark... woah-ohhhh, ohhhh-ohhhh ohhh.." 🎶

they are panned beautifully to the Rear channels in the late great Larry Keyes' Quad mix and to my middle-aged lugholes, they have never sounded more delightful than they do now ❤️😍
One has to ask the question then...is it possible to experience an aural orgasm?;)

Yes which still begs the question of why were "Birds of Fire" rear channels swapped. And the circular panning that existed before the swap, was that rule breaking for SQ, that pan? So chans were swapped? I know it's another thread.
good question! 🙌 that one's been discussed a fair few times round these parts over the years 👀 i don't think a consensus has ever been reached? 🤷🏻‍♀️ circular panning wouldn't/shouldn't be problematic for SQ but as we now know SQ loves/loved a diagonal so who knows, maybe Don Young did chuck a zig zag pan in for fun or even on purpose..!? 😅

It’s actually the front channels that are swapped on the Birds of Fire AF SACD. Both the original stereo and SQ LPs have Jerry Goodman’s violin in the left channel and John McLaughlin’s guitar in the right channel, but on the AF disc their positions are reversed.
aren't the channels assigned the same as the AF SACD on the Japanese 7" SACD and on the version streaming on Apple Music as well? 👀🤔

Jonathan, was the 2021 Sony Japan QUAD/STEREO reissue of BIRDS OF FIRE in their special 7" packaging CORRECTED?

product image 1

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICJ-10015#customer-review

And the rear chans on the SQ LP are same as AF SACD?

What does the pan do in the SQ LP decode in BoF? When it circles the room, is there at some point noticed - the phase cancelation spoken of?

Back