Exploring Billboard for Quadraphonic Information

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
August 4, 1973

HUGO
(QUADFATHER)
MONTENEGRO:
After 3 LP's and
one year later
he has a greater
wealth of knowledge
on do's and don’ts
when doing
a quadrasonic LP.

By Eliot Tiegel

1692221155162.jpeg

1692221187848.jpeg

—————-
One year ago, Hugo Montenegro became the first fully involved pop arranger in the quadrasonic field and Billboard published a number of Hugo's tips on how to arrange for this new medium. One year later, the Quadfather, with three pioneering albums to his credit and further research into quadrasonic, offers fresh reflections on his own experi ences.
—————-

EVERYBODY'S BEEN TOO TIMID, including myself, in writing for quadrasonic. We've been a little pompous about exploiting the potential for fear of our work being labeled gimmick," Hugo today feels.
But it was the gimmick idea which broke open stereo in the late 50's. If we are only going to use one potential—spaciousness—feeling very squeamish about using mction and expansion and contraction-then we're not taking advantage of quadrasonic as a trigger for a new artform."
Montenegro sits in his cheery Palm Springs sun-baked living room, thinking about what mistakes or lessons he's learned. Behind him is a $4000 4-channel system provided by JVC, which several weeks before had brought him to Japan to do a series of promotional visits in a country where quad is well accepted.
Back home, 4-channel is still a mystery to listeners and to most record producers. But not to Hugo who now plans his recordings in a more knowledgeable manner, as he explains in this discussion.
"In terms of localization of instruments, I think there's a great deal more freedom and fewer restrictions. I don't believe as I did one year ago that bass should be in the center of all four speakers." Why I ask is he concerned about this?
He answers because he heard one of his songs from a 4-channel LP being played on AM radio and the bass had eight times more presence than everything else. The reason, Hugo explains, is because the sound gets combined from all the quad placements,
"and the strings sounded like they were coming from another room." If a quad album has to be mixed with AM airplay a major consideration, then no instrument should be placed on more than one center—the front center or rear center.
"A year ago I took the bass and placed it on the whole 'Godfather LP' on all centers so it was coming from overhead. If there had been facilities to hear it played back as a mono I may have realized how it would sound. I still love the bass in the center. If you’re playing it as a stereo you're getting a combine—you're adding the bass from the centers so you're getting maybe four times bass. In mono it's eight times so the perspective is way out of proportion.
"Since I've gotten a quad set in my house, I've listened to a complete LP from one position in the house and then from another position in the house and I've come to the conclusion that presetting an instrumental setup and then maintaining it through the entire album can become a source of monotony and irritation.
"If I'm sitting next to the left rear speaker and l've placed my guitar in that left rear speaker, and on every tune the guitar is hitting me from that speaker, it will bug me. So in the course of the mix, I feel rhythm instruments should be varied. What's more important is that the person listening is entertained and not irritated. If he's constantly hearing guitar, rhythm piano and background organ coming out of one speaker—especially in an automobile where he is stuck by one speaker, that's all he's going to hear all through his ride. So I would alter it.
"On one tune, put it here, on another, put it there, shift things around. The only thing I would keep constant is my bass and drums in front center because we expect it to be there.
I've tried putting them in the rear and it completely disorients the listener. My personal reaction is to want to turn around and face them. It's possible the next generation won't be front—oriented so it can accept sounds coming from the rear.
"I've tried placing strings in the back and solo colors up front and the strange thing is the strings have the same effect on me as the rhythm in the back--I want to turn and face them. So in effect what I'm doing is making the two rear channels the front.
"There's another problem--anything placed on the side centers will double up when played in stereo. You get double the energy because it's two speakers combined.
So l've avoided using any side centers and we will continue to avoid using side centers until stereo is phased out and it's all quad.
"There is a very minimal amount of front to-back leakage and that leakage kind of creates a very soft center so that has to be kept in mind when instruments are placed along a side wall. I would avoid placing a string section along one side and a brass section along the other side because if you had violins in the front right, cellos in the right rear, the little leakage between the front and rear will tend to make them appear more center.
"On the Neil Diamond LP, the most effective way I found—and I tried several setups-to get separation and not feeling disoriented was to place my strings up front, left and right and brass in the rear separated left and right. I used no ambience on the brass. I feel very strongly that the most effective use of ambience is on strings, voices, and woodwind colors where you want to create a spacious, depth feeling, where the repeat (the sound reflections) don't put a figure out of focus. I don't use ambience on brass except on long tones. . . . try to enhance my strings by adding the repeats to the rear."
The important thing about using ambience, Hugo says, is that the level of the reflected ambient signal should be low enough so you still perceive the original signal to be coming from where you intended it to be localized.
In other words, strings, shouldn't sound as if they were coming out of there (he points to one of the speakers) and there (he points to another) and there (still another) too.
"I've found you can be very daring in the use of combination colors, for instance a synthesizer can be mixed with any color-brass, strings, woodwinds, vocals-and the combination suddenly creates a new color which has a third dimension of its own. The most effective placement of these colors is on a diagonal, like left front and right rear or right front and left rear."
Hugo speaks more assured of quadrasonics potential in terms of expansion and contraction, "from a small listening area to a wide space field," and in terms of motion and localization. He says he's only been working with space and localization.
"Motion, expansion ard contraction are not as subtle as space and localization; they are more likely to be called gim nicks, but who cares if it's done in a way that is musically valid."
Hugo plans making greater use of motion by moving sounds like percussion instruments. He tried having "floating clouds" of strings on "Song Sung Blue" in the new Neil Diamond LP but it was very subtle. "If you're going to use a device, give it impact. We've got to try and create something which satisfies us as artists and creative people, but we've got to try and listen with a consumer's ear."
A major problem is charting the instruments when the arrangements are conceived so that time is saved in the mixdown. "And this is the big problem with quadrasonic, it's taking time to develop experience and skillful techniques, so that the costs are out of line.”
How to cut costs? Hugo will try to use less instruments than all the grancoise numbers people relate to his orchestral sound.
Hugo says he hasn't followed his own concept about not over-arranging. "You don't need weight. If a device is imaginative it can be done with less instruments because the less you have going on, the less masking will take place."
Hugo says his studio costs of from $10,000 to $12,000 for a quadraphonic LP are one third the cost of the total. With the other costs, the combination makes it "almost impossible to recoup albums that come in at this price. We're going to have to do more with less."
On the subject of masking, or having one sound cover up another, when he tried to use a device, like motion or expansion or action within the sound fields, rhythm seems to take away from the device. "If you have a trick going on, it has to be conceived in a way that everything else stops and the device speaks."
After figuring out on his charts where he wanted his instruments to emanate from, Hugo found that in the mixing process he very often had to change the instrumental setup. "If the first eight bars worked but the second eight didn't I would mix the first eight, stop, make a change and then edit the whole thing together. A lot of songs have to be mixed in sections and edited together."
Hugo is considering de-emphasizing strings because they cost too much and you need a lot of strings to get a big sound.
"I've found the most effective use of strings is as a 'pad’—long chords that support melodic colors.
He recalls having problems using strings playing figures in rhythm-oriented songs and "I feel that probably the arrangement would have been more unique if I had used other instruments like electronic keyboards (clavinet, Fender Rhodes, Roxichord, several different types or organs) which can be fed through a phase shifter which changes the color or a synthesizer.
"I feel I'm going to begin emphasizing unusual colors with strong rhythm. I'll make the LP's more contemporary and reduce the costs."
When people first started talking about quadrasonic, ambience was always discussed as one of the major devices which created lent impact to the medium. "There is a way to use ambience effectively. I did it on 'Hurtin' You Don't Come Easy' on the Neil Diamond LP. I took the guitar solo which was very bluesy and increased the delay on the reflections and suddenly it's ambience but it's not—it's a completely different effect. Because whatever was played whizzed around the room.
"I don't think ambience has to be used in a concert hall style. There are other ways of using the delay machines. Very often the engineer will have to create the device. On slow ballads, ambience is still very valid if you want to create a spacious sound. When you eliminate the ambience you close in the sound field.
"If you want to create an expanded sound field, you've got to have ambience. Echo alone doesn't do it. Ambience is a tool like echo and equalization and it has to be used discriminately.”

The Quadfather knows.

—————————
Here’s a link to the article with Hugo from the previous year:

Post in thread 'Exploring Billboard for Quadraphonic Information'
Exploring Billboard for Quadraphonic Information

August 4, 1973

Columbia Masterworks Surrounds
the New York Philharmonic
& Pierre Baulez In
A New ‘Q’ Approach

By Bob Sabel

COLUMBIA MASTERWORKS
opened a new chapter in quadrasonic recordings Dec. 18, 1972 at the Manhattan Center by exploring the possibilities of an orchestra in surround sound.
The new approach to recording is called SQ Surround Sound by Columbia. And, according to Thomas Shepard, co-director of Masterworks,
"the recording puts the listener in the best seat in the house—any house that boasts the equipment for SQ Surround Sound, house that boasts the equipment for SQ Surround Sound.
"The location is in the center of the symphony orchestra, inside the music. It places the listener inside the eye of the hurricane and makes him a participant in the act of musical re-creation."
The recording Shepard refers to is the Bartok "Concert for Orchestra," conducted by Pierre Boulez and performed by the New York Philharmonic. The choice of using the Manhattan Center as a recording locale was based on several factors, according to Shepard, who produced the six-hour session. "The most important factor is that we needed a very large room in order to encircle the conductor with the orchestra. The orchestra is spread out in a 360 degree pattern, with 26 microphones set up in strategic areas, feeding the music into eight-track Dolbyized tape.
"In the recording, Boulez stood in the center of the orchestra, literally surrounded by musicians. He used two scores and two podiums so that he could turn, at will, to face woodwinds and brass or spin back to face the strings. We wanted to achieve a natural acoustic ambience. But ambience may have its drawbacks because a room of such spaciousness of sound may also be a potential source of leakage, or unwanted sound from one area to another. For example, the violins may get into the microphones for the brass section. So to avoid such a potential leakage problem, we hung the mikes close to the instruments about six feet or so. And to avoid being so close as to alter the proper ensemble perspectives, we flooded the orchestra with mikes. In this way we get ambience plus a highly selective, specifically delineated quadrasonic deployment."
Miking and channeling of instrumental choirs was created specifically for this concerto. "The interplay, for example, in the first movement, between sections of the strings and the attendant responses of the woodwinds and bass virtually dictated our quadrasonic setup, utilizing three loudspeakers for strings and the fourth for woodwinds.
"In the second movement, the sudden appearance of the third bassoon suggested its altered placement. Bartok's use of the two harps and the two parts of French horns provided the impetus for us to place the former in the front two channels and the latter in the rear two channels," Shepard explains.
Boulez himself is fascinated by the new technique, although Leonard Bernstein recorded an in-the-round treatment of Stravinsky's
"Sacre du Printemps" in London and was reportedly somewhat disconcerted by the orchestra's surround-seating requirements. "The seating doesn't bother me in the least," Boulez says.
"I've conducted orchestras in many positions and there are some scores, including those by myself, in which the orchestra depended completely on the cues and you have to remember every instrument in all the corners. In this concerto, you beat and they play, cues or no cues."
Shepard recalls that during the session he watched Boulez's conducting moves on closed circuit TV from the control room above the ballroom itself, while listening to the four monitor speakers. An engineer watched the recording meters of the eight channels being fed into two huge tape recorders, which take one-inch tape and run at 30 inches per second.
When the session was over, Boulez was pleased with the play. back. "I really liked the clarity of sound and it reproduced what I was hearing in the middle of the orchestra." The session reportedly cost Columbia about $40,000, some $10,000 more than an ordinary one. This includes some $5,000 in engineering costs.

August 4, 1973

The quadrasonic scene

There's Lots ‘Q’
Releases And
Player Action
In Japan

By Hideo Eguchi

SCORES OF NEW QUADRASONIC ALBUMS
and fully compatible 4-channel sets have been introduced to the Japanese market this summer bonus season. But they have been selling slowly.
Seasonally and traditionally, sales of musical recordings and audio equipment hit their peak in winter when the Japanese worker's bonus is twice as big.
Over 600 quadrasonic albums have been released by Japanese manufacturers. Five hundred and forty-eight were listed including 204 CD-4 Quadradiscs, 144 SQ's and 239 regular matrix (RM): Among them were the first two CD-4 albums and the first three SQ albums by Toshiba Musical Industries (TMI), the Toshiba-EMI/Capitol joint recording venture.
One hundred and eighty one Quadradiscs have been released by Victor Musical Industries, the distribution, sales and promotion subsidiary of the Victor Company of Japan (JVC), 11 by Nippon Phonogram, the Philips-Matsushita / JVC joint venture, 11 by Teichiku Records, a member of the Matsushita group, two by TMI and two by Polydor K.K., the DGG-Fuji Electric joint recording venture. Scheduled for August 1973 release are the first three CD-4 albums by Warner Pioneer, now a member of the WEA group. Previously, 27 SQ records were released by this American Japanese joint venture, in addition to the 114 by CBS/Sony, two by Canyon Records (a member of the Sankei- Fuji publishing-broadcasting group) and one by the record division of Trio Electronics.
The retail price of a CD-4 Quadradisc in Japan with music of international origin is 2,300 yen (about $8.68), exactly the same as for an SQ album, or only 100-300 yen more than a conventional stereo disk with like artist and repertoire.
Some 1,130,743 SQ disks (379,826 12-inch LP's and 750,917 seven inch singles) were sold in Japan as of Oct. 20, 1972, according to CBS/Sony, since its first release Oct. 21, 1971.
The first CD-4 Quadradisc was released by JVC in June 1971, but no production figures have been reported by this leading Japanese manufacturer. JVC's phonograph record/ music tape sales subsidiary claims that CD-4 sales growth has tripled compared to the turnover a year ago.
Although JVC's 4-channel/ stereo sets are the most popular in Japan, they are not equipped with an SQ matrix decoder. The best-selling model DF-11 is tagged at 169,800 yen or about $634 retail, but a 20 percent discount along with a free CD-4 Quadradisc can be had from the more dealers. Conversely, Sony's SQ sets are not equipped with a CD-4 demodulator. Sony is preparing to market two new models with built-in SQ full logic IC decoder in Japan, the model FQ-5000 at 149,000 yen ($562) and FQ-7000 at 179,000 yen ($675), following the introduction of the compact low-end model MJ-300 at 59,800 yen ($225) with two speakers and model FQ-3000 at 129,000 yen ($486).
From the point of view of compatibility and ease of operation, and cost-performance, the new models being offered by Onkyo, a Toshiba subsidiary, are most attractive. The X-500 at 159,000 yen ($600) and X-700 at 173,800 yen ($655) are equipped with a device that is designed to sense automatically which type of quadrasonic disk is being played. It was demonstrated to the Japanese public for the first time at the Odakyu department store's '73 Audio Show, which was held in Tokyo May 25-30.
Apart from Onkyo, the only Japanese manufacturers offering
4-channel/ stereo sets with built-in
CD-4 demodulator and SQ decoder are Pioneer and Trio. However, most other Japanese models are compatible with CD-4 and SQ, with the addition of a demodulator and decoder being produced separately by manufacturers like Hitachi, Toshiba, Pioneer and Trio.
Unfortunately, most Japanese music lovers are not electronics experts. And, for all practical purposes, they have to reply on the honesty of the manufacturers and the dealers, and the servicing which they offer.
Thus, Matsushita Electric with its AFD (automatic field dimension) control, Mitsubishi with its SE (separation enhancement) logic, Sanyo with DM-4 (dynamic matrix 4-chan-nel) and Sharp with its so-called Optonica system are able to compete in the Japanese audio market against the few manufacturers who are producing fully compatible stereo quadrasonic sets. Incidentally some Japanese audiophiles and music critics claim that the 4-channel sets don't play conventional stereo disks as well as the 2-channel sets that they have been using up until now.
Meanwhile, the record division of Nippon Columbia, which developed the so-called QX (QuadXtra) matrix system, based on Dr. D. H. Cooper's "dual triphonic," is now concentrating on production of high fidelity stereophonic recordings, disk and tape, under its "no distortion," half-speed cutting PCM (pulse code modulation) system developed jointly with the Nippon Hoso Kyokai (Japan Broadcasting Corporation).
Apparently quadrasonics will never make the grade in Japan until this country's popular artists and repertoire can be promoted or featured in 4-channel sound over the radio and television networks.
The Nihon Hoso Kyokai (NHK), which is "sponsored" by the mandatory radio/TV receiving license fees, plus an appropriation from the National Annual Budget, has yet to inaugurate 4-channel FM broadcasting, derived or discrete, although it has a sound multiplex system for TV, which is being used only for different languages, not music. And, although NHK has opened its new broadcasting hall, considered acoustically ideal for stereo music programs, not a yen has been earmarked from this fiscal year's budget even for experimental 4-channel FM transmissions. And, while NHK has a network of near 400 FM stations, there are only four commercial FM broadcasting stations in Japan.

August 4, 1973

RCA Sees Improvements In Lacquar Cutting Time And In Time Per LP Side
1692239078739.jpeg

RCA EXPECTS
to have a Neumann half-speed 4-channel cutting lacquor in operation in New York by the end of August. Following the installation of the cutter and the JVC electronics, RCA plans to convert its one third speed cutting equipment presently in operation in New York to half speed, giving the company its second half-speed capability.
JVC itself has a half-speed channel in operation in Los Angeles and has been cutting custom client masters there.
"Half speed is definitely a necessary tool and something needed to entice the small companies to make their move into quadraphony," says John Pudwell, RCA's director of new product development.
"Speed is time and the old Jewish saying is time is money.
When you have 18 minutes a side and you multiply that by three, it cost you three times the amount of money to cut the lacquor.
Independent companies and independent studios find it's very difficult to buy one-third speed lacquor channel for $120,000 and know they are buying obsolescence because half-speed gives you electronic and monitary advantages."
(There is definite pride at RCA now that CBS has purchased its own half-speed lacquor channel. The move is looked upon as CBS' move to enable it to handle the WEA family which opted for the discrete disk while CBS itself releases LP's in the SQ matrix system).
As to real time cutting, RCA has "encouraged" the Neumann company which manufacturers the lathe to work fully on the development of a one-to-one system.
In the discrete system an FM carrier transports the second set of channels, and Pudwell notes that this FM carrier presents a new set of situations unfamiliar to disks.
"You have to treat soundwaves and the carrier differently at frequencies never heard of -up to 45,000 cycles. It requires special tools and the energy in the cutting styli has to be up to 48 Kc and that's a big factor in heat transformation onto a lacquor material."
Pudwell says the state of the art wasn't ready for half-speed or real time cutting when RCA decided to come out with its discrete disk in May of 1971. But the company decided that rather than wait and allow the world to believe matrix was the only system in the world, RCA wanted to show its alternative. The company has had discrete cartridges since 1969.
RCA has made significant developments in the sound level of the Quadradisc, Pudwell points out. When RCA was given the system by JVC, sound was 5 db below the standard reference level. It is now plus 3 db--an 8 db range improvement.
Pudwell says JVC wasn't concerned about the level because in Japan there is double inventory and most people use a manual changer so they have to be by their amplifiers when they put on 4-channel record, so it is easy to raise the level at that time.
From an initial 18 minutes per side, RCA has moved to 25.
And Pudwell notes that JVC has a classical LP in Japan which allows for 30 minutes per side. "We are working toward that goal, but I don't believe you have to go to 30 minutes.”
Why haven't more American labels joined the discrete family? Pudwell admits it's strange and frustrating, but notes that "American companies are not very aggressive in pioneering anything." He points out that there are many labels which don't even have 4-channel 8-track cartridges and they have been available four years.
Pudwell points to Elvis Presley's "Aloha Hawaii" LP which was mixed in quadrasonic. The Hawaii concert sold one million units. "Recording live means you're taking chances; you can't rehearse and you take what you get. If the sound had been cut catastrophic we wouldn't have sold one million copies.
Pudwell feels, the Elvis LP has the capability of making people curious about quad. The listener was very happy with the stereo sound. "A quadrasonic mix when folded over gives you a different stereo dispursion than a stereo aimed mix does. As soon as every producer realizes this and finds out for himself, the quadrasonic market will develop faster."
Pudwell says that despite his personel distaste for gim-micks, RCA has no attitude as to what is the best way for any producer and artist to go. "We will not compel any artist to any concept. If he likes ping pong he can have it. If he likes wrap-around with motion, if he likes conventional ambient classical he can have it too.
The company has a fact sheet of developments which have been made in 4-channel by its own personnel and this data is available to all producers and artist. "Our attitude is see if it works for you too." The company has run its first in-house quadrasonic seminar series to acquaint its people with the state of the art and Pudwell predicts better mixes, more time per disk and more disks. He feels producers will know how to use 4-channel properly as there will be a "new creativeness."
"Today, quadrasonic means occupy a sound field at all times. I believe you can use a sound field advantageously at certain times to compliment the absence of a certain sound emanating from a certain signal."
Tomorrow, Pudwell sees a new world of entertainment once knowledge is dispensed.

1692305236910.jpeg

May 6, 1972

An Open Letter From Peter Scheiber, Who Showed the First Practical "Quad" Disc in 1969

MATRIX QUAD WORKS FOR DISC, CASSETTE, BROADCAST, COIN BOX

There has been considerable interest in four-channel, "quadraphonic" sound as a technical curiosity, but that is not important. What is important is bringing the total, live sound experience with its left-right and front-back dimensions of space, to the established, real stereo record market. That is why I have devoted myself to the continued improvement of the matrixed record as the preferred quadraphonic medium. It is our old friend, the stereo disc, with added rear information, in contrast to the discrete disc with its different groove structure requiring a special cutting lathe, special material for the pressings, and preferred use of a special playback stylus; and which has lower peak recording levels than the stereo disc in the inner grooves, and cannot legally be broadcast in “quad.” The stereo record was, and is, an optimal medium in terms of quality, economy and dependability. With quadraphonic matrix encoding, it takes on an added dimension of space.

More Than One Million Matrix Decoders Now in Homes

Now, the needed economical decoders to separate the rear sounds exist as a reality, built into the latest home equipment of almost all major manufacturers--from the Electro-Voices, Sansuis, Sonys, Fishers, Kenwoods, Magnavoxes and Zeniths on into the Lafayettes, Allied and Radio Shacks. High performance decoders for audio enthusiasts are beginning to appear, and will shortly show in extra-separation versions.
Make no mistake: The discrete disc represents a great technical accomplishment. My interest in the matrixing approach developed because of some simple, practical questions:
• Can it be practically put on cassettes? Matrix can
Discrete can't.
• Can it be broadcast in quad? Matrix can
Discrete can't.
• Will it make a side of full playing time when recorded at full level? Matrix will
Discrete won't.
• Can it be mastered on a conventional stereo lathe and pressed by normal stereo procedures? Matrix can
Discrete can't.
• Can you release a record whose delicate grooves contain 40,000 cycles for play on every $149.50 portable record changer, every coin box? . .
The technical innovation of quadraphonic sound is a fascinating one. But, for me, the real excitement lies not in making it work in the lab or the demonstration room, but in the entire stereo record and FM broadcast markets.

Readers are invited to hear my paper and demonstration, "Rounding Out the Stereo Display." May 2nd at 2 p.m. at the 42nd convention of the Audio Engineering Society in the Los Angeles Hilton.

May 6, 1972

'Q's' Prospects Rated
Monumental By British

LONDON-What is the 4-channel picture in England?
According to most observers, quadrasonic is an even greater milestone than stereo.
Four-channel became a commercial reality in the UK last month with the introduction of the first quadrasonic equipment, tape and disks.
RCA and Motorola were the first to market 4-channel in the
UK, with the record company releasing an initial batch of 50 cartridges ranging from classics to rock.
Motorola introduced its Quadraline 4-channel car unit at the same time.
EMI is issuing about 12 4-channel cartridges together with a sampler tape as its first product entry in quadrasonic. Pye Records has released some titles utilizing Sansui's matrix system.
On the hardware side, National Panasonic, Musitapes and Sanyo have all introduced 4-channel product, and Motorola is planning a quadrasonic home system for later this year.
In short, it is still very early for
4-channel in the UK, since Decca, Philips, Polydor, UA and Warners-Atlantic-Elektra have yet to decide which system to adopt.
For the time being, quadrasonic is going to be a fairly expensive luxury which probably only the more enthusiastic music collector will be interested in. But after listening to a good 4-channel system, industry spokesmen reason, ordinary stereo seems very inadequate.

May 6, 1972

Matrix & Discrete Concepts
At First IF Consumer Show

CHICAGO
-
The first Institute of High Fidelity (IHF) show here in years became a showcase for 4-channel and a forum for discrete and matrix concepts. Both sides, though, agreed software is the key issue. Several firms bowed new hardware (see separate story).
One perhaps surprising note in a show where 8-track has few boosters, came from Bill Cawlfield of Ampex Stereo Tapes. He capped off the opening seminar by saying that 8-track will be the leading configuration in establishing
4-channel.
"While 8-track has been a non-audiophile configuration, it's being dusted off," Cawlfield said. "It will be greatly upgraded. Ampex is already experimenting with low-noise and Dolby approaches to 8-track.”
In debate with Sid Silver of
Sansui, Cawlfield never backed down from his advocacy of discrete as the ultimate 4-channel system.
Silver criticized a discrete version of the music from "2001: a Space Odyssey."
He said, "The music was pulled apart. It's harsh, confusing, phony. The same soundtrack in
2-channel through a
matrixing system that can synthesize is fantastic."
Cawlfield said "phony" relates to individual experience, that some people like red jelly beans, others black or green jelly beans.
Most of the 4-channel concepts were reviewed and some were demonstrated. The complexity of the subject was touched on by panel moderator Bill Stocklin, Popular Electronics, who apologized because gain riding and logic matrix concepts were not covered.
Most questions from the audience of dealers and consumers related to speaker placement.
In plumping for matrix, Silver said the term "synthesizing" has unfortunately been thought of as derogatory "in the way we thought of electronic reprocessing of mono into 2-channel." He said synthesizing "is not artificial, it's legitimate."

Many of the points developed were reminiscent of the discrete vs. matrix debates here recently during the National Association of FM Broadcasters and National Association of Broadcasters conventions (Billboard, Apr. 22).
Silver and Cawlfield both felt there are similarities between equipment adjustments for matrix and early days of the long play album when equalization could be adjusted. Silver said dealers can assure consumers that adjustments can be made for the Electro-Voice, Sansui and Columbia SQ matrixing.
The problem won't be decoding but encoding, he said.
"There will be hints about encoding in the owners manuals." The reason for deviousness is that no label will want its name mentioned in regard to a certain encoding process, he indicated.

Admits Problems

Silver said matrix has two problems --directionality and separation.
Sansui overcomes directionality, he said, because "it's the only matrix system with omnidirectionality." He said separation may be a false issue of sorts.
"We've heard 20 db, 30 db, 40 db thrown around because this kind of separation is inherent in the systems. We assume (wide) separation is necessary." However, to the ear a 15-20 b separation would be indistinguishable from discrete, he said. Speaking of "psychacoustics,”
Cawlfield tended to agree. He said: "What sounds pleasant to the ear is not necessarily separation.”

Both acknowledged factors such as "phase reversal." Silver said "a lost Signal is permanently gone.”
He warned that recording engineers should never position a principal sound in the rear area.
Tracing the development of 4-channel, Cawlfield said open reel will not be a viable configuration in "the unforseeable future."
He said there is so little distribution of normal 2-channel open reel that Ampex has set up a shopper's service to handle the acknowledged broad national interest in open reel.
Cassette suffers from the same problem as open reel, that is, the fact that the heads must be split, thus bringing about total incompatibility (with 2channel). "Cassette prerecorded tape is not a big enough market to allow dealers to stock two cassette inventories.
Cawlfield said: "It was totally accidental that 8-track had enough capacity for 4-channel." He did note that 4-channel 8-track is non-compatible with 2-channel.
He said, "Of all places, you see 8-track, 4-channel coming in
through automobiles where players will be priced under $100.

Dual Inventories

The real key to 8-track's supremacy, however, is its dominance in the marketplace. "It's so software oriented a market that dealers will stock two 8-track inventories."
During his discussion of matrix, Cawlfield said there is a degree of loss that would never allow the concept to approach discrete.
"A little bit heard from the other speakers is heard in the left front speaker. The big point of contention is how much of the other channels should be in this speaker."
Silver countered by explaining that matrix is compatible with 2-channel. He pointed out that the JVC discrete disk has just over half the normal playing time of the normal stereo LP (Lou Dorren, director of research for Quadrcast Systems. told the NAB convention that the playing time of the discrete disk is now 30 minutes).
Silver said the dynamic range of the JVC disk is "constricted somewhat."
The JVC and RCA discrete disk came in for some discussion.
Cawlfield said it was no problem for a magnetic phonograph cartridge to be capable of up to 45 kHz but that the same characteristics in a ceramic cartridge for the mass market may be a challenge. He said RCA and Panasonic have promised to deliver such a cartridge.
Stocklin, broke in at intervals to promise that JVC people would possibly be present in other seminars here (the 4-channel seminar was to be repeated twice, more than any other seminar) and said JVC
"was ready to hit the mass market with a cartridge in the $8 or $9 range."
He said that JVC and RCA system would list for around $200, including turntable, cartridge and decoder.
As the seminar wound down, Cawlfield explained the Dynaco matrix concept as one being unique in that it detects "out of phase" signals. He drew diagrams, urging the audience to try to wire up their own sets "tonight when you go home" in a manner similar to the Dynaco principle.
About 144 people attended the opening seminar.

May 6, 1972

Show Indicates Sporadic Delivery

CHICAGO
-
Home entertainment equipment manufacturers are broadening lines and encouraging dealers to do the same. Thus, it's not surprising that at this city's first hi fi show in years, auto tape units were shown. Of course, 4-channel units abounded.
With product introduction and delivery times spread out throughout the year, it was not novel that a number of units were bowing prior to the Consumer Electronics Show and that some models introduced last June were just now being delivered.
The trend to expanded lines at the Institute of High Fidelity's first show here was pointed by Crown of Elkhart, Ind., speakers.
Certainly the "something for everyone" theme was apparent at the JVC exhibit where the whole pre-CES-introduced line was shown, including the 4M-4800 compatible 4 and 2-channel 8-track unit at $249.95. The line was previewed in Billboard, April 22.
Prices of Japanese import products still do not reflect the full ramifications of yen re-evaluation and the competitiveness remains as many manufacturers vie across the boards in so many product areas.
Typical of products seen last June but just now getting into dealer's showrooms in Sony's HST-118, actually a replacement for the earlier introduced HST-388.
This is is 2-channel 8-track with AM/FM multiplex, a player/tuner combination listing for $159.95.
Another unit still to be in delivery, promised next month, is Toyo's Model 730, a unit playing 4-channel 8-track with AM/FM multiplex tuner listing at $279.
Cassette units with Dolby and with capabilities for chromium dioxide and high energy tapes were shown by several exhibitors. Sansui showed the SC-700, a Dolby system deck, that lists for $299.95. It pairs with the comprehensive turntable/ receiver Model MO-2000 with two speakers and separate tape and cassette monitor. The unit lists for $549.
Pioneer showed Model T-3500, boasting that it is adaptable for any of the three cassette blanks: standard, low-noise, high-output or chromium dioxide. It lists at $199.9.5
Kenwood showed a regular cassette deck at $259.95, the KX-7010A, with improvements over the KX-7010 which was shown at CES.
The firm also had a new KX-700 Dolby cassette deck,
So new no literature was available, that lists for $270.
A spokesman said some models of Kenwood have climbed $10 or so since CES. Price hikes in line with yen re-evaluation are on a model-by-model contingency, he indicated.
BSR McDonald, typical of firms broadening lines, showed its RTS-29 AM/FM multiplex with 8-track system listing at $189 and the RTS-28A slightly lower-priced ($169) similar system, both just now into delivery.
New units from Sherwood, include one to be ready for delivery by CES time, a Model S-9400 e-ceiver with 4-channel (matrix) capability at $259.95. It has separate input and output for 4-channel decoder.
Another firm introducing models between CES time was Gang & Olufsen with its radically different Beomaster 3000-2 receiver listing at $330.
One of the firms showing auto players was TEAC, which has replaced its AC-5 with a more powerful AC-7 unit. This is a cassette auto machine that lists for $139. TEAC also has an AC-9 cassette model with fast button selection instead of lever controls that lists for $259. These are described as the "first with continuous reverse" play units.
At least a half dozen firms at the show displayed lines of headphones. Koss' latest unit is the KO-747 stereophone.

May 6, 1972

K101-FM Awaits ElA
‘Q' Parley Verdict

SAN FRANCISCO
-
K101-FM has decided to delay switching to a discrete quadrasonic broadcasting system--the Lou Dorren system-until after May 9, according to K101-FM president James Gab-bert. Gabbert had filed intentions with the Federal Communications Commission (Billboard, Apr. 15), to go quadrasonic on May 1. In the meanwhile, however, the Electronics Industries Association has formed a National Quadraphonic Radio Committee (similar to the stereo committee it formed years ago) to investigate the various quadrasonic systems. Gabbert said that, so far, only one discrete system has been proposed to the FCC
-the Lou Dorren system. Thus, he's going to delay switching to quadrasonic broadcasting until after the May 9 meeting in Washington of the NORC, of which he is a panel member.
He stated that his petition for a declaratory rulemaking on Apr. 7
brought about the May 9 meeting.
Previously, he felt, everybody was sitting on their heels.
Gabbert had told the Billboard recently that: "It's our belief that, under current FCC rules, nothing says a station can't broadcast in discrete quadrasonic sound. We comply in every way with all existing rules.
His main concern was in countering the growth of matrix quadrasonic broadcasting, which the FCC has stated does not come under its jurisdiction. Discrete quadrasonic broadcasting, however, does call for some FCC attention and, frankly, just how much attention is up for debate.
The Lou Dorren system, a development of Quadracast Systems Inc., San Mateo, Calif., has been before the FCC for a rulemaking for about a year. In the meantime, General Electric filed a field report just in the past month or so on a discrete system they've been testing at WGFM-FM in
Schenectady, N. Y. All of the tests of WGFM-FM were reportedly conducted after normal broadcasting hours. Gabbert, on the other hand, had widely promoted his experimental discrete broadcast on K101-FM.
Though planning to wait until the results of the May 9 NORC meeting are known, Gabbert pointed out that he stood ready to switch to quadrasonic sound on K101-FM and might do so regardless of how the May 9 meeting turns out.
It's Gabbert's opinion that the FCC had to say yes or no, based on current broadcasting rules, regarding his request for a declaratory rulemaking field on Apr. 7.
But his reason for waiting is that
"there's really only one discrete system up before the FCC--the Lou Dorren system--and the EIA has already stated that only discrete systems would be evaluated by the NORC."

May 6, 1972

Superscope to Columbia S.Q.

NEW YORK
-
Superscope Inc. has chosen the Columbia SQ system and becomes the 19th audio manufacturer to obtain a CBS SQ license.
Superscope will introduce its SQ components at the
Consumer Electronics Show in Chicago, June11. The company is the exclusive distributor of Sony tape recorders and magnetic tape in the U.S.
Superscope's SQ license extends to all the company's home entertainment divisions, including the high fidelity Marantz component line, Standard Radio Corp. of Japan and the forthcoming Superscope brand of popular priced audio equipment.
CBS Records confirmed that
Connaught Equipment. Ltd., Gibraltar-based international com-pany, has been named the first European licensee of the CBS SQ system (Billboard, March 18).

May 6, 1972

RCA Slates
New LP Mix

By ROBERT SOBEL

NEW YORK
-
With the introduction of its new Quadradisc, RCA Records will embody a firmer, improved compound in its new record that it claims will enhance considerably the quality of the sound.
The new record will have a slightly different curvature and, because of the firmer compound, will give longer life to the groove and will provide a less flexible Dynaflex record.
An improved stylus will spur the pickup of back channels and will give longer wear to the grooves, according to an RCA spokesman. A new demodulator, developed by JVC, has been refined to keep the needle on track so that it can pick up the sub-carriers which activate the two back channels.
RCA will make all newly recorded Quadradisc product utilizing the new compound and the other two innovations noted. A regular release is planned for the fall and target date for all records to go Quadradisc has been set by this time next year. A similar curvative is now being used by Columbia Records.
The record will be demonstrated during the IMIC conference being held in Acapulco this week.

Back