Feedback on my first Atmos mix (DD+ mp4 download)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's mixed on 7.1.4 but there's enough swirling around to fill larger systems, I'm sure.

I have 9.1.4 (with Wides) in my Home Theater. I have talked in this forum several times about the advantages (for me) of having content for the Wides in the Atmos mixes.

I cannot test (yet) your Atmos mix, because now we are at summer house (without Atmos system), but I have decoded your Atmos mix to 9.1.6 and actually there are vocals content on the Wides and some synth on the Top Middles, so all 16 channels are used, thanks to your use of objects and not only bed channels.

Looking into the Audacity 16 waveforms I cannot 'feel' the inmmersive Atmos, I only see some bigger level on fronts than in the rest of channels, making it, perhaps, a bit conservative front centric mix, but with full 16 channels immersive surround.

This thread is awesome. I love how quality feedback is being given and being utilized to better the final product. So cool.
Agreed! I really appreciate the feedback which is improving the mix and helping me learn more about the Atmos process.

I meant something like "This is the masterclass mix, right?" in defense of being critical.

The cohesion factor is certainly not lacking! Maybe experiment with adding back in some of the transient dynamics in the drums. Maybe a few other elements. Just doing that would brighten them up without static eq. Think of it like the parts you can only hear when close up to a sound source. Right now you have the zoomed out view that is the only choice in stereo.

Again, I really agree with erring on the side of not too bright! You get high marks as is over mixes you can't turn up because they're piercing.
thanks, I’ve layered in a little more high end attack to the drums with some parallel compression and also boosted the lead vocals 1-2db throughout. This may have also been contributing to the slightly subdued overall mix.

The final result will be released for streaming and download early next month hopefully 😁 I’ve first gotta try get my ADM from 7gb down to 5gb to upload it to my distributor Distrokid. I’ll have to combine a number of objects that are not overlapping.
I cannot test (yet) your Atmos mix, because now we are at summer house (without Atmos system), but I have decoded your Atmos mix to 9.1.6 and actually there are vocals content on the Wides and some synth on the Top Middles, so all 16 channels are used, thanks to your use of objects and not only bed channels.

Looking into the Audacity 16 waveforms I cannot 'feel' the inmmersive Atmos, I only see some bigger level on fronts than in the rest of channels, making it, perhaps, a bit conservative front centric mix, but with full 16 channels immersive surround.
I’ll be very curious to hear how it sounds on your system when you get the chance. The front centric mix suits this kind of music and translates well down to binaural at least.

Today marks the 10 year anniversary of Look To Windward's 'Kepler' EP so this Friday August 9th I'll be releasing this Atmos remix on streaming services as well as a lossless download on IAA. There will also be a dedicated 5.1 mix included, which is a bespoke mix, not just a mixdown!

Thanks again for the feedback

Back