Steven Wilson Ultravox Lament remix forthcoming! (SDE-exclusive Blu-Ray & 7CD/DVD Deluxe Edition)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iā€™m not a huge Ultravox fan really (never heard of them before getting into the QQ) but for this release I can say I am excited for it, because the SDE is a Steven Wilson mix thatā€™s not locked up in a big box of chocolates. So Iā€™m fairly confident this is going to sound fantastic and I can grow into it (y)

Iā€™m not a huge Ultravox fan really (never heard of them before getting into the QQ) but for this release I can say I am excited for it, because the SDE is a Steven Wilson mix thatā€™s not locked up in a big box of chocolates. So Iā€™m fairly confident this is going to sound fantastic and I can grow into it (y)
You are so right Pups šŸ‘
It is and you will šŸ™‚

Mine arrived yesterday listened through twice sounds fantastic. The Atmos mix sounded great on my 5:1 system but I think Iā€™m going to have to invest in an Atmos system! I love how you pick up little things with SWā€™s remixes, Loves Great Adventure particularly benefits šŸ˜Ž

Here's a real interesting question/answer on this release and check out the short timeline on how we got the SDE in Atmos which I have highlighted below:

Found it at Ultravox facebook page and Jason Turner is one of the admin from the following facebook:

Ultravox, Visage & Midge Ure collectors

https://www.facebook.com/groups/738647586331614

As Iā€™ve(Jason Turner) done in the past, Iā€™ve reached out to Dermot James regarding the hotly anticipated re release of Lament. Dermot runs Chrysalis and has instigated all of the Ultravox and Midge Ure Deluxe Editions.
JT: Hi Dermot, thanks for your time. First of all we were all very sad that we lost Chris Allen earlier in the year. The last time I saw him was when Ultavox supported Simple Minds 10 years or so ago. He really rocked that night. And seeing Ultravox perform in an arena was a dream come true for me. I'm sure you have many fond memories of him. As I'm sure many of the fans have.
DJ: Yes, Chris passing was a shock to everyone and really sad. He, like the other members of the band were/are involved in these reissues and I had some good and funny conversations with him about the albums and the time. I last spoke to him around Christmas time last year when he had signed off on his side for Lament.
JT: Lament is many a fans favourite and there's a lot of excitement for this release. Tell me a little more about the concept of this release, as it's been approached slightly differently to the previous deluxe editions, with a 5lp deluxe vinyl box set instead of 4lp and a lot less demo / work in progress tracks in the 7 CD / DVD box set. But replaced with a plethora of new mixes etc. Then there's an etched 2lp & blu ray.
DJ: For this reissue, I wasnā€™t sure how to pull it together. There were no rehearsal recordings available like the previous albums and apart from the Hammersmith Odeon recordings, there wasnā€™t much in the way of something new or unreleased.
I started by getting the multitracks pulled from the archive, along with tapes with work in progress and rough mixes, in the hope I could find some early or alternative versions. The guys had clearly worked on the tracks and had the arrangements locked down by the time they recorded them, which means there wasnā€™t too much in the way of variations to the final released versions.
I did find a few things, like the early pre-Mae McKenna vocal mix of Man of Two Worlds, which also has a guide vocal from Midge and more percussion sounds going on, a few unreleased extended remixes, and the recordings for the Leviā€™s advert. But overall, I didnā€™t feel there was enough to make it up to the standard of the previous sets. The unreleased remixes gave me an idea of seeing if there were enough unreleased mixes for an extended remix of the album, and it went from there.
The 4LP vinyl set becoming 5LP. I was very conscious that we had reissued Lament in 2017 with a bonus vinyl containing the single versions and bsides. I didnā€™t see any point in repeating this and plus a lot of fans will already have this version. I wanted to offer something new, and the new mixes on 12ā€ vinyl seemed like a good idea.
The only difference this time is due to the cost of specifically buying in the black card, we have made all formats of this release limited editions.
JT: Were the band involved and what do they think of the end result?
DJ: They were all consulted and involved where they wanted to be. I always run everything past them, and they approved what music gets released, the sleeve design etc. They have seen how popular the box sets have been and are happy there is new interest in these albums.
JT: We've already had a taster of what's to come with the #6 rsd 2024 release of some of the Steven Wilson 12" remixes. Was it a deliberate move to tease us with this numbering concept. And tell me more about the # number sequencing.
DJ: The additional RSD 12ā€ was a little spur of the moment idea. We had made rough marketing campaign plans for the deluxe reissue at the beginning of the year for a 5th April release, to almost match the original 1984 release of the 6th April. The releases were all in manufacturing and due for delivery in late Feb/early March.
For RSD the plan was for the Steven Wilson Stereo/Instrumental mixes of the album on vinyl but we had issues with not only the vinyl test pressings but the printing of the sleeves. By the time these would have been resolved would have been too late for delivery deadline.
I had some more Steven Wilson extended mixes that werenā€™t being used in the box, along with left over black card we used for the box sets at the manufacturers. I just thought, this will be easy to put together, the same sleeve design as the vinyl sleeves in the box which were all numbered #1-5 and new labels. It also seemed like a nice bonus after the box sets were out.
Unfortunately, as time ran on, we had manufacturing issues with one of the booklets in the CD box and the standalone vinyl which meant they wouldnā€™t have been delivered to the warehouses in time for the release date. The release date was then pushed to tentatively in May. The RSD release already announced, and I didnā€™t want to pull it, so just left it. I knew people would question what the #6 meant but it got people talking about the deluxe release etc.
Then, we were due to announce the deluxe reissues at the end of March for the May release, but we received the sad news of Chris. Out of respect to his family, the band and those who knew him, I pushed the release back further.
JT: I have to say, the artwork looks stunning. Tell me more about the physical side of the packaging, the contents etc.
DJ: The iconic sleeve design speaks for itself. Like I did for the 2017 vinyl release I used the black print on black card but pushed it a little further across the formats. The formats are the same as the previous box sets to continue the series.
The CD box has the main booklet with a new In Conversation piece conducted by journalist John Earls (Classic Pop, Record Collector), whoā€™s a fan and I thought he might get more out of the guys chatting than getting them to write something, which I hope he did.
The 5LP I spoke about above. For the standalone vinyl, I thought keep it to just the album but split it across two vinyl with etchings on the bsides and a three-quarter length slipcase to make it a little different.
JT: The 7 CD box set looks stunning. I'll not dwell on CD1. CD2 is the customary Steven Wilson mixes, which I can't wait to listen to. And I'm glad you've included Loves Great Adventures. CD3 contains some extended remixes by Blank & Jones, Moby and Steven Wilson. This is probably the CD I'll listen to first. Moby is a particular favourite artist of mine, so I can't wait to hear his version of Lament. Tell me more about these collaborations and how they came about. CD4 & CD5 are a mixture of random tracks & extended remixes. Tell me more about the content of these discs and how they were put together. Nice to see Rivets included. CD6 & 7 Are the live at Hammersmith Odeon discs. Was it an easy process to locate this recording and tidy it up.
DJ: Well, CD2; was keeping with the other sets and placing the Seven Wilson mix of the album here. For the bsides he mixed them all and Loveā€™s Great Adventure, which although doesnā€™t fit with the feel of the album it was recorded in the Summer of 1984. Where else would I use it, if not here, so included it.
CD3: The Remix Album. I touched a little on this above, but overall I felt there wasnā€™t enough to match the previous box sets in the way of new music. Going through our archive I found some more unreleased extended remixes, Man of Two Worlds, a slightly longer version of the Heart of The Country, an extended instrumental White China and (yet another) extended One Small Day.
This got me thinking to pull together an extended remix of each track from the album would give me a Lament Extended Remix Album. The band were ok with the idea, with Billy adding if there was one album of ours that lent itself to remixes, it was this one. Except, not every track had an extended remix.
During the playback of Steven Wilsons new stereo mix of the album, I mentioned the idea of creating a couple of new remixes to make an 80s style extended remix album of Lament. He thought it would be a fun thing to do and offered to do one for A Friend I Call Desire or When The Time Comes. I think he enjoyed the process and in the end he did both, and further mixes of White China and Man of Two Worlds.
I was now in a position where I had the missing mixes, plus 2 new ones and could compile an extended version of the album, but mixing old mixes and new ones didnā€™t feel right.
I then thought Iā€™d reach out to a few people, who either had worked with the band or who were fans. The first person contacted was Piet Blank (Blank & Jones), who enthusiastically came back saying yes and asked if he could do Dancing With Tears In My Eyes. Next was Moby, who I knew was a fan and again got a yes pretty quickly, he specifically asked for the track Lament.
In the end, I ended up with more mixes than I needed and I didnā€™t want to make the release too remix heavy so between the band and I we picked a selection. Hopefully fans will enjoy it and they can create their own extended remix of the album with the versions they like.
CD4: The Rarities. I pulled together all the tracks that were released at the time. I added the few rough mixes I found and hopefully plays well without too many repeating of tracks.
CD5: the 1984 Extended Remixes. I included the longer remix of Heart of the Country as a curio more than anything. The only mix that wouldnā€™t fit was the US Club Mix of One Small Day, which I fitted into CD4.
CD7&8: Hammersmith 1984. We have 2 concerts recorded from Hammersmith 1984, both with the same set list and feel. We just picked one. We are blessed that Chrysalis recorded gigs from each tour, along with tracks from gigs here and there, for presumably potential bsides or radio broadcasts.
JT: Tell me more about the 2lp half speed etched. What a great idea.
DJ: Well, as mentioned above I didnā€™t want to just redo the 2017 2LP with singles/bsides. Itā€™s just something a little different and hopefully people will like the design with the three-quarter length slipcase.
JT: I've deliberately not mentioned the DVD from the box set. Instead I was going to jump straight to the limited edition SDE exclusive blu ray. I love the multi channel mixes on the previous box sets. But to now have Lament in Atmos is going to be awesome. How did this come about. And will we see the other albums get the same treatment.
DJ: The stereo and 5.1 mixes of album were done to match the previous box sets. These were done earlier last year due to Steven Wilsonā€™s availability. He had a new solo album coming and concerts with Porcupine Tree set up for 2023. He didnā€™t have time to work on an Atmos mix.
The Atmos bluray idea came together just as we were preparing to announce the September release date back in June. Paul Sinclair (from SuperDeluxeEdition.com) knew it was being announced and
called to asked if Iā€™d be interested in doing an exclusive Atmos Bluray of the album to sell through his site.
I quickly messaged a handful of people, Steven to see if he had time to do it, our manufacturer for a rough turnaround time, a bluray authoring guy and my designer. They all said yes, they can do it and we were off. A mock-up of the sleeve was was done and over to Paul the day before he announced it. I then had 4 weeks to make it.

JT: The limited edition dinked promo 7" will be a lovely collectors item. How did this come about.
DJ: This is a promo 7ā€ we pressed up for press and my marketing person asked if he could take some for the Townsend exclusive. The a-side is an edited version of Steven Wilsonā€™s 12ā€ Re-Mix, which we released digitally, and the bside is Mobyā€™s mix of Lament.
JT: The remastered videos, as with the previous albums are you intending on upgrading these to HD?
DJ: Yes. They will all be rolled out one by one as we go through the campaign. A new lyric video was created for White China, and my video guy has edited Dancing With Tears In My Eyes to fit the piano outtake.
JT: Thanks for your time Dermot. Keep up the great work and we look forward to more releases in the future.

Mine has landed in Paris. I expect it will be dropped into my mailbox tomorrow. Very excited! :LB
SDE_LaPoste_progress.jpg

crap. my Amazon order of the boxset arrives today and I bought the SDE version. Meant to cancel the boxset order and forgot to do so. Looks like I did a GOS
If itā€™s getting delivered straight to your door you can usually refuse the package and youā€™ll get your money back when they take it back to the warehouse.

I never bought this album when originally released but I did like the singles that were harvested from it so it was a bit of a leap into the unknown for me. I've now listened to it and what a revelation it's been. It didn't disappoint in any way at all and the surround is brilliant. Definitely a 10 from mešŸ‘

Back