Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night as the snow was falling gently in our first storm of 2024, I watched Marc Turtletaub's 'gentle' alien film, JULES with a wonderful Sir Ben Kingsley, Harriet Samson Harris and Jane Curtin.

While our protagonist Sir Ben is slowly going through early stages of Alzheimers and his well meaning daughter is trying to coax him into an assisted care facility, an alien spaceship lands in his backyard, crushing his beloved azalea garden in rural Pennsylvania. After awhile, he beholds a tiny alien who has emerged from the spacecraft and is lying motionless by his back door. Slowly, the alien is revitalized by Sir Ben's act of kindness by giving him glasses of water and freshly cut apple slices and the two become fast friends. While no one in the small town remotely believes that an alien spacecraft has landed in their midst, the alien communicating through roughly sketched pictures of 'cats' is trying to repair his ship and return home.

I really loved this little film as it outlines both the loneliness and alienation which affect both the main characters and the terrestial. And it's also a treatise on acceptance, understanding and trust and director Turtletaub has avoided preachiness by infusing his film with some laugh out loud bits of humor.

‘Jules’ Review: Ben Kingsley Alien Movie Is Surprisingly Touching

Jules - Official Trailer - YouTube

Last edited:
Okay, I admit I wasn't expecting much when a buddy bought tickets for a bunch of friends to see Gran Turismo in the theater. I went in totally blind to the story and ended up really enjoying it. Nice, uplifting story and great sound. The 4K UHD has a Dolby Atmos soundtrack. The price is down to $17.99 at Best Buy and Amazon so I ordered a copy.

Here's the glowing blu-ray.com review:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Gran-Turismo-4K-Blu-ray/341543/#Review

From Kino Lorber [via Paramount Pictures] director Elia Kazan's THE LAST TYCOON based on F. Scott Fitzgerald's unfinished novel [4K Scan of the original camera negative/DTS~HD MA 5.1] stars Robert DeNiro, Robert Mitchum, Jack Nicholson and Tony Curtis. Screenplay by Harold Pinter! Music by Maurice Jarre.

http://thedigitalbits.com/item/last-tycoon-kino-2024-bd

The Last Tycoon (1976)

Last edited:
From Kino Lorber [via Paramount Pictures] director Elia Kazan's THE LAST TYCOON based on F. Scott Fitzgerald's unfinished novel [4K Scan of the original camera negative/DTS~HD MA 5.1] stars Robert DeNiro, Robert Mitchum, Jack Nicholson and Tony Curtis. Screenplay by Harold Pinter! Music by Maurice Jarre.

http://thedigitalbits.com/item/last-tycoon-kino-2024-bd

The Last Tycoon (1976)
According to my movie spreadsheet, I saw this back in 2008 but have no memory of it. Lucky I wrote a summary of what happened. Be interesting to see it again.

According to my movie spreadsheet, I saw this back in 2008 but have no memory of it. Lucky I wrote a summary of what happened. Be interesting to see it again.
Pete, considering the 'star power' involved it was a disappontment and like F. Scott Fitzgerald's unfinished novel [which I read eons ago] ended abruptly.....but when KL has their bi~annual sale and blows it out for under $10 ....I will add it to my collection. An odd but rather haunting flick, IMO!

Mark My Words: Movie Review: The Last Tycoon, starring Robert De Niro ...

Pete, considering the 'star power' involved it was a disappontment and like F. Scott Fitzgerald's unfinished novel [which I read eons ago] ended abruptly.....but when KL has their bi~annual sale and blows it out for under $10 ....I will add it to my collection. An odd but rather haunting flick, IMO!

Mark My Words: Movie Review: The Last Tycoon, starring Robert De Niro ...
5 Oscars between the 2 of them in that pic!

5 Oscars between the 2 of them in that pic!
According to legend, Monroe Starr, Robert De Niro's character in The Last Tycoon, based on real life studio mogul Irving Thalberg, may have been a Hollywood wunderkind but he was also an SOB and De Niro failed to adequately catpure his 'essence' as directed by Elia Kazan who himself was a legend of Stage and Screen! And of course Harold Pinter who was known for his opaque screen and stage plays was, IMO, an odd choice as scriptwriter! Still worth a watch.

IRVING THALBERG DURING THE SILENT FILM ERA | 1924 IRVING THALBERG ...

Irving Thalberg: called THE BOY WONDER 1899~1936

Last edited:
With Season 12 on HBO, premiering February 4th, curmudgeonly Larry David is bidding farewell in the final season of CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM

Last edited:
Arriving April 2nd for its 35th Anniversary, from Paramount Pictures and drector David S. Ward MAJOR LEAGUE. Pictured below is the limited steelbook UHD4K edition

61DSodkZY3L._SL1024_.jpg

From Criterion and director Danny Boyle TRAINSPOTTING [Native UHD4K/HHDR10/Dolby Vision/DTS~HD MA 5.1]

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Trainspotting-4K-Blu-ray/347733/

Enjoy the "worst toilet in Scotland" scene in UHD 4K. :poop: :ROFLMAO:

“We were determined to show why people took drugs … you had to show that it was fun and that it was awful.”
Trainspotting director Danny Boyle, in an interview with BBC One

https://thepopculturestudio.com/202...t-of-a-generation-and-changed-cinema-forever/

Back