Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time ever. Not sure why it has taken this long, I have enjoyed many Kubrick movies previously. I guess I have matured to the point where I can appreciate this type of film. I probably wouldn't have understood it at 25. But yeah, it was a treat.
I saw 2001 in 1969 in a brand new theater right after I got home from the Army. I won’t say I ever understood it, but it’s one of the movies I go back to regularly. I had the soundtrack album before I saw the movie, and it was one of my first Laserdiscs. Truly a magnificent film.

My parents took me to see it on its release in 1968 . . . i was seven . . . i haven't been the same since!
1704052655030.png

My parents took me to see it on its release in 1968 . . . i haven't been the same since!
View attachment 99844
I first saw it in Manhattan in 70mm and actually cried at the end .... ya know, the whole Birth, Death, Infinity motif Kubrick so masterfully integrated into his epic Space Odyssey! ✨

And thankfully, well preserved/presented via Native UHD4K!

R.0ca22cd48d4dd5ec84570f5e05fe1308

I finally watched 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time, and was completely blown away. The 4K looks absolutely stunning, it is really hard to believe this film is 55 years old. Kubrick's attention to detail and innovative filming techniques puts most of today's movies to shame. Sorry, but CGI tends to make movies look like video games but 2001 made me feel like I was really in outer space.

Next up, A Clockwork Orange.
Definitely one of the top catalog 4Ks in my growing collection. Amazing picture quality. Kubrick!

Tremors (1989) 4K:

1. Finally got around to watching this one: Amazon.com

2. Still an enjoyable watch after all these years, great image upgrade, surround mix is pretty decent but really, I wasn't paying too much attention cos the film is so much fun.

3. Dang, that elephant gun packed a wallop in the lows department.

4. Hours of extras and definitely worth the purchase I reckons. Good times.

Tremors (1989) 4K:

1. Finally got around to watching this one: Amazon.com

2. Still an enjoyable watch after all these years, great image upgrade, surround mix is pretty decent but really, I wasn't paying too much attention cos the film is so much fun.

3. Dang, that elephant gun packed a wallop in the lows department.

4. Hours of extras and definitely worth the purchase I reckons. Good times.
Best line....

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/9350047a-9a18-4775-b3cc-ee3ae92c6fca

In 1968 I saw it in 70mm at a grand old Cinerama theater (I was 17). I shed a few tears when the archaic Homo sapien fashioned a weapon from a bone and triumphantly smashed a tapir skeleton. So began the human race...
1704325780533.png

1704325869628.png

1704326214323.png

Stanley Kubrick​

2001: A Space Odyssey Movie Poster

Price:
18,750 USD
  • Style D.
  • Created for pastings on New York City walls, subways and temporary structures.
  • Linen backed.
MGM commissioned this poster for the film's 70 mm relaunch in New York City in 1969. Surprisingly, the initial release of the film was not a huge success. There were two wild pasting posters designed for the 70 mm release, both of which feature the star child and Mike Kaplan's tagline the ultimate trip. This style poster features the star child floating in an iris. The poster really captured the experimental mood of the time and struck a chord with audiences. The release of the 70 mm film helped to make it a commercial and critical success.

Back