Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
STEELBOOK edition of FOOTLOOSE coming February 13, 2024 [Native UHD4K/HDR10/Dolby Vision/DTS~HD MA 5.1]

61BpNboDM-L._SL1024_.jpg

Streaming NOW on NETFLIX in 4K/Dolby Vision Bradley Cooper's MAESTRO

R.40021274626734d8216a4994ac81bc5b

Bradley Cooper’s Leonard Bernstein biopic is officially coming to ...

We were able to see this last week at a one-week limited engagement at the local land-grant public university film theater.
The room was upgraded to full Dolby Atmos this year, this was the first full-blown Atmos to release to show there.

We got seats dead-center, two rows behind the music professor sitting in the sweet spot who gave a movie talk after the show.
Suffice to say the soundtrack is demo-quality, the best I've heard.

The diegetic sounds are amazing. In an outdoor scene, I heard the faint call of a mourning dove clearly focused in the distant LR.
In an interior scene with party in the next room, it was as if the muffled noises were on the other side of the theater wall.
The cathedral performance scenes with full orchestra and choir are amazingly powerful and dynamic.
A benchmark for all productions that follow. Highest recommendation.

Anyone with an opportunity to see it in a proper large theater will be rewarded, but for Atmos couch potatoes, turn it up and enjoy.
:51QQ

We were able to see this last week at a one-week limited engagement at the local land-grant public university film theater.
The room was upgraded to full Dolby Atmos this year, this was the first full-blown Atmos to release to show there.

We got seats dead-center, two rows behind the music professor sitting in the sweet spot who gave a movie talk after the show.
Suffice to say the soundtrack is demo-quality, the best I've heard.

The diegetic sounds are amazing. In an outdoor scene, I heard the faint call of a mourning dove clearly focused in the distant LR.
In an interior scene with party in the next room, it was as if the muffled noises were on the other side of the theater wall.
The cathedral performance scenes with full orchestra and choir are amazingly powerful and dynamic.
A benchmark for all productions that follow. Highest recommendation.

Anyone with an opportunity to see it in a proper large theater will be rewarded, but for Atmos couch potatoes, turn it up and enjoy.
:51QQ
I plan to watch this tonight on Netflix, I just hope it is actually streaming in Atmos.

As a side note, I streamed another movie on Max the other night that said on the preview screen something like "Dolby Atmos, depending on your equipment's capabilities". Well, I have the capabilities (Denon Atmos AVR with full 7.2.4 speaker array, streaming from an AppleTV 4K and an LG OLED 4K display) and all I got was 5.1. 🤷‍♂️

I plan to watch this tonight on Netflix, I just hope it is actually streaming in Atmos.

As a side note, I streamed another movie on Max the other night that said on the preview screen something like "Dolby Atmos, depending on your equipment's capabilities". Well, I have the capabilities (Denon Atmos AVR with full 7.2.4 speaker array, streaming from an AppleTV 4K and an LG OLED 4K display) and all I got was 5.1. 🤷‍♂️
According to NETFLIX: only 5.1 for Maestro. But at least it's in 4K with dolby vision and you don't have to trek to the theater to see it .... although I'm sure it would be wondrous on the BIG screen with full Dolby ATMOS!

Streaming app developers often break stuff on different platforms, so it's possible Max has fouled something up on an ATV. Streaming Atmos is just DD+ so there shouldn't be anything complicated going on.

Do you have the Ultimate plan from Max (for which you would have to be subscribing directly from Max)? A number of people get Max as part of their cable package, or their mobile phone plan, or something like that. Max recently dropped all of those to the middle tier (2 streams, 1080p), and a number of the streamers won't send Atmos unless the video stream is 4K because they're dumb.

EDIT: what movie did you try to watch that didn't give you Atmos? I can check it on my system.

Streaming app developers often break stuff on different platforms, so it's possible Max has fouled something up on an ATV. Streaming Atmos is just DD+ so there shouldn't be anything complicated going on.

Do you have the Ultimate plan from Max (for which you would have to be subscribing directly from Max)? A number of people get Max as part of their cable package, or their mobile phone plan, or something like that. Max recently dropped all of those to the middle tier (2 streams, 1080p), and a number of the streamers won't send Atmos unless the video stream is 4K because they're dumb.

EDIT: what movie did you try to watch that didn't give you Atmos? I can check it on my system.
It looks like you’re right. I’m on the middle tier subscription, not the 4K Atmos tier. I think I’ll need to change that.

The movie was Barbie, which, believe it or not, I found to be better than it had a right to be and a thoroughly entertaining satire.

Last edited:
According to NETFLIX: only 5.1 for Maestro. But at least it's in 4K with dolby vision and you don't have to trek to the theater to see it .... although I'm sure it would be wondrous on the BIG screen with full Dolby ATMOS!
Im happy to report that Maestro is streaming for me in Atmos on Netflix.

Back