Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three Days of the Condor (1975) 4K:

1. I got Kino's 4K/BD release cheap. Superb image. I had the previous BD which presumably used the same 4K scan and that was really sharp - this 4K release takes it up a notch.

2. DTS-MA 5.1 but there ain't much happening in the surrounds except a good deal of hiss in some sections. It ain't distracting though.

3. I find this a fun watch. Chuck it in your spy pile with The Conversation and The Parallax View. Faye Dunaway is superb (her Bronco was a rust bucket) as is Max Von Sydow. Some awesome combovers and toupees too. Even in 4K, I can't figure out how Cliff Robertson did his hair. It might not have been his hair though. Could have been someone else's. It's a mystery.
I recall when I saw this in a theater during its first run, that the scene toward the end when Redford and von Sydow were explaining things to each other, how clear and bright the images were.

While I don’t have 4k capability, I do have the BD of that film. Lots of unintended irony in it these days.

Arriving January 31st from Vinegar Syndrome and director David Cronenberg eXistenZ [Native UHD4K from interpositive/HDR10/DTS~HD MA 5.1]

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/125315/existenz4kultrahdbluraylimitededition.html

eXistenZ (1999) - Posters — The Movie Database (TMDB)

Last edited:
Having been following this thread for a while, I now have a 4K projector (Sony XW5000ES) and feel like I can finally benefit from what I've read about here. Excited!

For folks that have compared 4K discs to 4K streaming, I can hear the better audio, but how much of an improvement do you see in the image?

Just curious as I've been streaming samples on Max (Apple TV 4K) of Casablanca, Wizard of Oz, Lost Boys, Batman, 2001 Space Odyssey, Singing in the Rain, Blade Runner 2049, etc. with Dolby Vision and Atmos, and my sense is it could be better.

Having been following this thread for a while, I now have a 4K projector (Sony XW5000ES) and feel like I can finally benefit from what I've read about here. Excited!

For folks that have compared 4K discs to 4K streaming, I can hear the better audio, but how much of an improvement do you see in the image?

Just curious as I've been streaming samples on Max (Apple TV 4K) of Casablanca, Wizard of Oz, Lost Boys, Batman, 2001 Space Odyssey, Singing in the Rain, Blade Runner 2049, etc. with Dolby Vision and Atmos, and my sense is it could be better.
I've never seen streaming 4K but for what it's worth, the limitations of streaming 2K are clearly obvious when it comes to scenes with lots of water or lots of trees/branches. All the extra detail in these sorts of scenes means way more information and from my experience, streaming just can't seem to handle it compared to a spinny disc. I'd imagine the differences between streaming/disc would be even more pronounced for 4K.

From your examples, I have 3 of them on 4K. 2001 is native 4K and looks as good as I've ever seen it. The Batman (Robert Pattinson) looked fine (I've only watched it once). Blade Runner 2049 I believe is a 2K upscale but looks and sounds great (gotta drop my sub level on this one - it's a wall-shaker).

The streaming services in 4K are pretty excellent but when you can buy a UHD4K title for as low as $8.99 with superior sound I would bet the 4K image is better as well. Especially when utilizing a projector!

I would take advantage of AmazonUS' sales, as IMO, they do offer the best prices on UHD4K discs ...with GRUV.com being the second! I always try to read the reviews first before purchasing because not all 4K discs are equal ....some no better than their BD~V counterparts!

A GREAT source of AmazonUS' lowest priced deals can be found here:

https://www.blu-ray.com/deals/?category=bluray

It certainly can be better .. and it is with the "4K ultra" disc format. With streaming, the content providers still have to compress the feature considerably to get the content to you in real time, along with loads of other content. Streaming services rarely list their 4K bit rates but consider that a 2 hour title in 4K HDR might be 15-20 gig total when streaming (or often less), but on a 4K disc that total may be 70 or 80 gig. And if you really want to see compression artifacts a projector is the best way to look for them. Mpeg5 / HEVC compression is what is used with 4K and is certainly more efficient than its mpeg4 AVC predecessor used for bluray and in turn is far better than mpeg-2 used on DVD. But, like the previous compression codecs, HEVC can be and sometimes is pushed to its limits by content providers. With a giant projected image if you watch one of the Star-Wars OT on Disney or "2001" on Apple in 4k, and then from a 4k disc you will see a difference. On a smaller screen, not so much.

My current take away is 4K is still maturing and displays are still catching up, meaning with certain display technologies one given aspect of what I'll call "the 4K-ultra umbrella advantage" may be better highlighted than another.

My downstairs projector does 4K and no matter what the source, the higher pixel count now has greatly reduced the screen door effect compared to my previous 1080p projector. Am throwing a 143" image and especially in that case, more true pixels matter. Color gamuts are also improving in projectors with many doing not only over 100% rec709 but also 100% DCI-P3 which is important for ultra 4Ks 10bit color and wider color bandwidth. Many 4K projector do HDR10, HDR10+, and HLG high dynamic range, but don't expect a true wow experience with HDR and projectors, even with the high lumen models as true contrast ratios and projectors under 10 grand just aren't there yet. They're inching forward but from a true contrast rating they are still nothing like higher end flat panels where HDR literally shines.

OLED flat panel displays when reproducing true blacks and low level blacks are simply incredible. After 30 years of working in television with broadcast grade gear and in film restoration with even better, the first time I ran an OLED through the paces and with torture tests, it blew my mind. Each "pixel" can go full off to full on and not effect the neighboring pixel at all. This was unheard of in any display tech previous. Colors typically exceed DCI-P3 ratings and the peak nit ratings aren't bad and also inching forward.

Forgetting blacks levels, LED/LCD displays offer the highest output ratings, so if you really feel the need to be blinded by peak whites .. maybe its a 4K disc of the eclipse with a 4000 nit peak .. ;-) just kidding. But this is one parameter where LED and LCD still excel. And so I don't send a mixed message, with higher end models of this type, black level quality is often very, very good.

With the OLED and the projector, I appreciate different aspects of the 4K umbrella experience, but each in different ways that even on their own are still very much enjoyable.

Thanks to all three of you for the thoughtful responses.
I am projecting onto a 120" screen in a dedicated dark home theater room, so differences do show.
It seems like the extra investment in discs makes sense on a case-by-case basis, and I do follow Blu-Ray.com closely, and track prices on Amazon, so am planning on selective 4K disc purchases.
I watched No Time to Die (James Bond) last night on Amazon in 4K, and not sure why but Amazon's 4K material seemed stronger than Max.
My plan this weekend is to trade away many of my blu-rays where a 4K option exists, and all 30 or so 3D discs (I have a Panasonic AE8000U which was pretty good for 3D but I can't see myself setting it up again). This should free up funds and space for 4K discs.

Barry Lyndon rules! One of my favourite Kubes at what could be my favourite aspect ratio. Bring on the 4K. We demand satisfaction!
Barry Lyndon is one of my most wanted 4K’s. I’ve only seen it once and it’s one of my favourite Kubrick films as well. I put off watching it for a long time because of the length but it is a masterpiece and just beautiful to look at.

A Clockwork Orange 4K:

1. Finally got around to watching this since buying it ages ago. Image looks great. A bit "softer" in areas as has been whined about elsewhere but I'm guessing that's due to the wide angle lens.

2. DTS-MA 5.1 sounds great. All dialogue is perfectly clear (as it should be given that so much of it is shouted!). Not much in the surrounds except the score which sounds superb and has a few surprising lows.

3. Worth the upgrade from BD I says, right right right?

A Clockwork Orange 4K:

1. Finally got around to watching this since buying it ages ago. Image looks great. A bit "softer" in areas as has been whined about elsewhere but I'm guessing that's due to the wide angle lens.

2. DTS-MA 5.1 sounds great. All dialogue is perfectly clear (as it should be given that so much of it is shouted!). Not much in the surrounds except the score which sounds superb and has a few surprising lows.

3. Worth the upgrade from BD I says, right right right?

The film sets and furniture of Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange: A real ...

YOU'RE SO RIGHT, PETE!

Last night I watched "Inglourious Basterds" for the first time in 4K coupled with my new subwoofer. My goodness, the machine gunning in 5.1 almost blew my apartment apart. I bought a Klipsch R-120SW subwoofer recently not realizing how big it is. It is earthquake big. I have to set the volume way down in the negative Db area and it still shakes. Can't beat that price.
Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 2.42.19 PM.png

Haha that is awesome, I just unboxed that same sub today and hope to get at least 7.1 setup this weekend with 7.1.4 to follow.
Now I am looking forward to it even more.

Back