Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally agree with you Sony kills it with their 4K releases, especially the catalog stuff. I’ve been snagging a lot of Sony ones lately and have not been let down once. They have also become really good with offering legacy soundtracks along with new Atmos remixes, imo the way it should be done no matter what!
I still haven't waded through SONY's 11 4K disc 30th Anniversary box set but as always, I should've waited. It's NOW 52% off @ AmazonUS [about $13 per 4K disc]

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sony...iversary-Collection-4K-Blu-ray/323537/#Review
Sony Pictures Classics

The other night, Amazon Prime ran a special on the UHD4K Finnish movie SISU [$1.99] so more than curious I watched it. SISU in Finnish as the title card suggests is not translatable into English but you can rest assured it alludes to TRUE GRIT as the story unfolds. At the end of WWII, the Nazis who had invaded Finland were ordered to leave the region but not before they destroyed everything in sight.

The main protagonist, Aatami Korpi who was a legendary and dangeously out of control Finnish officer left his post and pursued Gold prospecting. When he discovers a tremendous cache of gold he packs his saddlebags and takes off on a journey to return to his village. Encountering brutal Nazi convoys along the way, they manage to steal his gold and put him through brutal inhumane suffering ...... but Korpi in 'superhuman' fashion endures. An extremely brutal movie but the cinematography of the barren Finnish landscape is breathtaking and the surround design ALWAYS IMMERSIVE.

SISU is available from Lionsgare Film in a Native UHD4K disc with HDR10 and Dolby Vision and a Dolby True HD 5.1 soundtrack

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sisu-4K-Blu-ray/333344/#Review

Sisu - Seriebox

Sisu was a hoot but do not look for an authentic representation of warfare.
That the protagonist survived an 'elongated' hanging, a nose dive plane crash, inhumane beatings and 'horrific' shrapnel wounds was a bit MUCH! But it was nonetheless entertaining.....

Whoever said WAR IS HELL ... It certainly IS !!!!!!

Last edited:
Ahhhh, they got me with this one.
Me too! I forgot to sign up for that initial founders deal when they first started and have been meaning to try it ever since.

Seems like the rest of the streaming services keep getting more expensive with less quality content.

Last night I watched Criterion's new Janus Films release of GODLAND [2022] from Icelandic director Hylnur Palmason, a 143 minute study of a Priest who in the late nineteenth century sought to establish a church on the barren, remote southeastern Icelandic coast. In lieu of sailing to the island, Father Lucas chose to trek to the location with his box camera and capture the landscape and rugged denizens through photographs, never realizing the perilous journey would almost cost him his life. The images and immersive sparse sound design are stunning and Godland was photographed as if through the image Lucas observed through the lens of his primitive box camera [example below of actual screen image].

Criterion includes only a recent 17 minute interview with director Palmason who explains his approach to his sprawling meditation on religion, the insanity of a fragile being in search of fulfilling an almost impossible ambition and the psychological hardships endured along the way.

[1080p/DTS~HD MA 5.1/Aspect ratio: as shown below] Recommended .....

Godland, Hlynur Pálmason’s Austere Tale of Religion in Iceland | AnOther

Last edited:
Last night I watched Criterion's new Janus Films release of GODLAND [2022] from Icelandic director Hylnur Palmason, a 143 minute study of a Priest who in the late nineteenth century sought to establish a church on the barren, remote southeastern Icelandic coast. In lieu of sailing to the island, Father Lucas chose to trek to the location with his box camera and capture the landscape and rugged denizens through photographs, never realizing the perilous journey would almost cost him his life. The images and immersive sparse sound design are stunning and Godland was photographed as if through the image Lucas observed through the lens of his primitive box camera [example below of actual screen image].

Criterion includes only a recent 17 minute interview with director Palmason who explains his approach to his sprawling meditation on religion, the insanity of a fragile being in search of fulfilling an almost impossible ambition and the psychological hardships endured along the way.

[1080p/DTS~HD MA 5.1/Aspect ratio: as shown below] Recommended .....

Godland, Hlynur Pálmason’s Austere Tale of Religion in Iceland | AnOther
Did you like it? Would you watch it again? I’ve been on the fence and the same with “The Eight Mountains.”

Did you like it? Would you watch it again? I’ve been on the fence and the same with “The Eight Mountains.”
The pacing is a bit lethargic but the images are amazing ... the story unfolds at a snail's pace and the ending's a bit abrupt and perplexing and leaves one to wonder the director's ultimate intent.

The Eight Mountains is another Janus title I want to watch.

Maybe we should all subscribe to the Criterion Channel.

For $15 I am glad I added GODLAND to my collection and may watch it again .... at a MUCH later date!

Back