Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure James Cameron, ALWAYS THE PERFECTIONIST, will ensure the highly anticipated UHD4K remaster of ALIENS will be digitally unscathed as in NO DNR!
16771_tn.jpg
I hope you're right. I really do.

tumblr_oabf1uDWmm1ucplr3o1_1280.jpg

Three versions of “Avatar?”

A3 isn’t due until next year, at least according to Wikipedia.
I too am confused by that. I’m really only aware of two: the theatrical and the DVD extended cut, which the first 4K (which I have) only has the theatrical.

Blu-Ray.com lists the three cuts as Theatrical, Special Edition, and Collectors Extended Cut…

I too am confused by that. I’m really only aware of two: the theatrical and the DVD extended cut, which the first 4K (which I have) only has the theatrical.

Blu-Ray.com lists the three cuts as Theatrical, Special Edition, and Collectors Extended Cut…
Ahh, perhaps there’s some special release that’s being included. I have both existing films in 3D, having, as I mentioned above, recently watched “The Way of Water” earlier this week. Now I need to review the first movie.

Ahh, perhaps there’s some special release that’s being included. I have both existing films in 3D, having, as I mentioned above, recently watched “The Way of Water” earlier this week. Now I need to review the first movie.
Yes there was 3 cuts on the original Blu-ray as well. Theatrical, Extended Cut and Special Edition.
Honestly if you bought the first 4K edition of Avatar you really aren’t missing much. I can barely get through the theatrical cut at 2hr 40m.

Yes there was 3 cuts on the original Blu-ray as well. Theatrical, Extended Cut and Special Edition.
Honestly if you bought the first 4K edition of Avatar you really aren’t missing much. I can barely get through the theatrical cut at 2hr 40m.
The Way of Water is about an hour longer, and the 3D movie spans two discs. But, as I noted, it mives along pretty well.

It’s been sitting in my “to be watched” pile for a couple of months because I didn’t think I had the time all at once to get through it, but it never felt like a slog. Just a couple of over-the-top moments that broke my suspension of disbelief.

The Way of Water is about an hour longer, and the 3D movie spans two discs. But, as I noted, it mives along pretty well.

It’s been sitting in my “to be watched” pile for a couple of months because I didn’t think I had the time all at once to get through it, but it never felt like a slog. Just a couple of over-the-top moments that broke my suspension of disbelief.
I watched Way of Water in the theatres and it never felt over bearing to me. It’s actually only 32 minutes longer than the first one but I felt that length was justified.

The first one I just struggle to get through for some reason, no idea why.

I'll probably opt for John Carpenter's STARMAN ..... HDR10, Dolby Vision and Dolby ATMOS [gorgeous soundtrack, BTW]! SONY usually releases titles individually within 6 months of release of their Classics box sets.

edit: Just noticed that the Classics IV set will also include:

EXCLUSIVE BONUS DISCS INCLUDE:
  • STARMAN – the complete 1986-1987 22-episode follow-up series, based on the feature film—exclusively presented in high definition! HD episodes included on 4K Blu-ray discs for maximum space
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starman_(TV_series)

Last edited:
I'll probably opt for John Carpenter's STARMAN ..... HDR10, Dolby Vision and Dolby ATMOS [gorgeous soundtrack, BTW]! SONY usually releases titles individually within 6 months of release of their Classics box sets.

edit: Just noticed that the Classics IV set will also include:

EXCLUSIVE BONUS DISCS INCLUDE:
  • STARMAN – the complete 1986-1987 22-episode follow-up series, based on the feature film—exclusively presented in high definition! HD episodes included on 4K Blu-ray discs for maximum space
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starman_(TV_series)
That’s the only title I’m interested in as well. I hope you are right. When I read your original post it pissed me off that they had it locked in an expensive box set. Sounds all too familiar to anyone that visits this website.
Love the soundtrack which is very hard to find.

That’s the only title I’m interested in as well. I hope you are right. When I read your original post it pissed me off that they had it locked in an expensive box set. Sounds all too familiar to anyone that visits this website.
Love the soundtrack which is very hard to find.
Bill, I recently added this ESSENTIAL JOHN CARPENTER FILM MUSIC CD to my collection and am loving it. The CD is both HDCD encoded and in Dolby Surround and does contain two STARMAN tracks [end titles/symphonic version]. AmazonUS wants $76 for this disc so check out track listing and availability at Discogs:

https://www.discogs.com/release/926...ssential-John-Carpenter-Film-Music-Collection

Coming February 14, 2024 from SONY PICTURES ..... SONY PICTURE CLASSICS Volume 4

the films include: His Girl Friday, Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner, Kramer Vs. Kramer, Starman, Sleepless In Seattle, and Punch-drunk Love.

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/n...ollection-volume-4-arriving-february-13/48636
Since I have SONY/COLUMBIA'S Volumes 1~3 box sets ..... looking over Volume IV, there are some extraordinary films and all are remastered from the original camera negatives in Native UHD4K, HDR10/Dolby Vision and 5 out of the six have upgraded Dolby Atmos [and 7.1] soundtracks so I may just wait until the price comes down and bite.

I see that Volume 3 is now available from AmazonUS for about $72 [$12 per film]

https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Cla...30-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last edited:
Punch Drunk Love is the only one that’s not mentioned it’s from the original camera negative curiously! The Criterion Blu came from an interpositive so not entirely sure what the 4K will be from.
Since both the pic and dolby ATMOS soundtrack were approved by director Paul Thomas Anderson I'm sure we'll still be in for a treat. ALL of Sony's recent Native UHD4K remasters have been state of the art and they are also going back to remaster most of their previous 4K'S WITH ADDED DOLBY VISION [AS IN Coppola's Bram Stoker's DRACULA] with stunning results.

Not to worry!

Since both the pic and dolby ATMOS soundtrack were approved by director Paul Thomas Anderson I'm sure we'll still be in for a treat. ALL of Sony's recent Native UHD4K remasters have been state of the art and they are also going back to remaster most of their previous 4K'S WITH ADDED DOLBY VISION [AS IN Coppola's Bram Stoker's DRACULA] with stunning results.

Not to worry!
I totally agree with you Sony kills it with their 4K releases, especially the catalog stuff. I’ve been snagging a lot of Sony ones lately and have not been let down once. They have also become really good with offering legacy soundtracks along with new Atmos remixes, imo the way it should be done no matter what!

Back