Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just watched 'FM', the old movie from 1978. Mostly because I wanted to see the live Jimmy Buffett and Linda Ronstadt performances. Wow, what a trip. More people probably had the Soundtrack Double LP than saw the movie for sure, but it's really not that bad a movie. The "Dolby Stereo" is pretty much stereo. I had the DVD, which I got really cheap. Not sure if this is on BluRay but it's probably not worth it if it is.

Anyway, the story is probably the foundation for the TV Series WKRP in Cincinnati, but the cast is really good and the musical performances are superb. The DVD was worth the price just to see a 1978 Linda Ronstadt belt out "Tumbling Dice" with Waddy Wachtel on guitar and the rest of her band. Vintage and CLASSIC. Damn, she was great. Jimmy Buffett's "Livingston Saturday Night" performance was great as well, however the lyrics are a bit risque for 2023 - "Fifteen will get you 20, that's alright". Hmmm

Anyway, surround aside, if you want a nice nostalgia trip back to 1978 this might be a fun watch for one of those nights when you don't want to have to think deep. Like I said, the cast is really good, the music and the soundtrack are awesome, and the script, while predictable, is not horrible enough to make you shut it off. How's that for a review? "You probably won't shut it off!" :LOL:
BTW, here's an ordering link for FM. It was remastered in 2019 by Arrow Video

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/FM-Blu-ray/102108/#Review
18926_3_large.jpg

Last edited:
Ok asking here because I know you know.
Moving soon and I will finally get to have my own room dedicated for ATMOS.
I am thinking about projector instead of a big tv.
Other than 4k is there anything specific I should look for? Hoping to stay around 2k and get lucky with black friday sales.

Thanks

Ok asking here because I know you know.
Moving soon and I will finally get to have my own room dedicated for ATMOS.
I am thinking about projector instead of a big tv.
Other than 4k is there anything specific I should look for? Hoping to stay around 2k and get lucky with black friday sales.

This will give you an idea what's out there. And some are 3D ready if you're interested:
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/top-picks-projectorshttps://www.crutchfield.com/S-tG4QcTat9lI/under_15000_160150/Projectors-Under-15000.html?

Last edited:
I watched the 3D bluray of “Avatar The Way of Water” the other night. It uses two BDs for the movie. It’s about 3-1/2 hours long, but it moves along pretty quick. The mix says 7.1, although I didn’t get a lot of activity from behind.

Some of the animation was over the top, with the whale(ish) thingy taking revenge on two ships, and the bad guy was a bit past believable, but a lot of the movie was beautiful and I enjoyed it a lot.

Worth it for me. And about four hours of extras, too.

I watched the 3D bluray of “Avatar The Way of Water” the other night. It uses two BDs for the movie. It’s about 3-1/2 hours long, but it moves along pretty quick. The mix says 7.1, although I didn’t get a lot of activity from behind.

Some of the animation was over the top, with the whale(ish) thingy taking revenge on two ships, and the bad guy was a bit past believable, but a lot of the movie was beautiful and I enjoyed it a lot.

Worth it for me. And about four hours of extras, too.
I found Avatar: The Way of Water in 3D to be absolutely MINDBENDING and for its 3 1/2 hour length didn't lag at all. Highest Recommendation to all who are 3D equipped!

Speaking of Avatar, for those of us who just bought (or in my case, received as a gift) the 4K Avatar 1 & 2 discs… guess what, they’re already outdated.
https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/111523-0659ALIENS, True Lies, The Abyss, Avatar 1, and Avatar 2 all getting 4K Dolby Vision and Atmos (except ALIENS) releases soon

Speaking of Avatar, for those of us who just bought (or in my case, received as a gift) the 4K Avatar 1 & 2 discs… guess what, they’re already outdated.
https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/111523-0659ALIENS, True Lies, The Abyss, Avatar 1, and Avatar 2 all getting 4K Dolby Vision and Atmos (except ALIENS) releases soon

GREAT NEWS INDEED, PM! I own the original 3D version of AVATAR but did not buy the latest 4K remastered disc. Wonder if Cameron will release any of those films in 3D? I thought they did a great 3D conversion for Titanic and IMO, The Abyss would look awesome in 3D as well....not to mention ALIENS!

GREAT NEWS INDEED, PM! I own the original 3D version of AVATAR but did not buy the latest 4K remastered disc. Wonder if Cameron will release any of those films in 3D? I thought they did a great 3D conversion for Titanic and IMO, The Abyss would look awesome in 3D as well....not to mention ALIENS!
Avatar 2 got a 3D release so it’s not out of the realm of possibility…

The one I care about most is Aliens and you scared me with the "no Atmos" bit but it looks like all of them will have Dolby Atmos:

1. Both versions of The Abyss will be included on both 4K UHD and Blu-ray.
  2. Both versions of Aliens will be included on both 4K UHD and Blu-ray.
  3. ALL THREE VERSIONS of Avatar will be included on both 4K UHD and Blu-ray.
  4. The Blu-ray versions of The Abyss and True Lies are mastered from the new 4K scans.
  5. The Blu-ray versions may eventually be available separately, but for now they’re exclusive to these 4K UHD + Blu-ray Combos.
  6. All 4K presentations will include Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos audio on 100 GB discs.
  7. All titles except Aliens will include new special features.
  8. All titles will include the legacy special features.
  9. 4K Digital versions of all these titles will be available on December 12th.
Pretty cool these are finally being released!

The one I care about most is Aliens and you scared me with the "no Atmos" bit but it looks like all of them will have Dolby Atmos:

1. Both versions of The Abyss will be included on both 4K UHD and Blu-ray.
  2. Both versions of Aliens will be included on both 4K UHD and Blu-ray.
  3. ALL THREE VERSIONS of Avatar will be included on both 4K UHD and Blu-ray.
  4. The Blu-ray versions of The Abyss and True Lies are mastered from the new 4K scans.
  5. The Blu-ray versions may eventually be available separately, but for now they’re exclusive to these 4K UHD + Blu-ray Combos.
  6. All 4K presentations will include Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos audio on 100 GB discs.
  7. All titles except Aliens will include new special features.
  8. All titles will include the legacy special features.
  9. 4K Digital versions of all these titles will be available on December 12th.
Pretty cool these are finally being released!
Bring on Aliens! Be cool to see what it looks like considering that there's always been talk of the stock that it was shot on being a dud end-of-the-line batch. Not sure how that can be seen from what we currently have. It's never looked damaged/weird to me.

Bring on Aliens! Be cool to see what it looks like considering that there's always been talk of the stock that it was shot on being a dud end-of-the-line batch. Not sure how that can be seen from what we currently have. It's never looked damaged/weird to me.
It’ll be interesting to see how it will compare to the first seeing as that was done before Disney bought Fox. I believe the first one was released on 4K mere months before the deal was finalized. Because of this Home Alone 4K ended up being released by Disney but it was Fox who had done all the work. I’m sad that we’ll probably never see Home Alone 2 on 4K disc.

Back