Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah, I was referring to Danny Glover's famous line from the Lethal Weapon franchise. Peeps gotta know when to just quit!

Dang, Tom Cruise changes shades of brown hair dye about as much as Tom Hardy changes accents - in the same movie.
Speaking of Tom Hardy, Pete, great news that a second season of Hardy's dark, grungy Victorian drama TABOO is now in production. LOVED Season One which debuted six long years ago!

https://screenrant.com/taboo-season-2-filming-start-date-tom-hardy/

R.7045f5cc69c8a93c09091fc2c0409bba

Last edited:
Good or bad, if you have any desire to see it you can get the 4K version for $9.99 on Amazon.

My interest was piqued when I first saw the coming attractions and squelched when I heard the negative reviews. Despite the negative reviews I've heard (Ebert's review aside), for that price I am willing to check it out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BJ89LY68?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
My copy just arrived with a striking slipcover...hey for 10 bucks!

Spent 10x that and more for a music only box set with a mediocre surround remix!

Alexander Payne's The Holdovers opened yesterday, reportedly with a MONO soundtrack.

https://cuchimes.com/11/2023/the-ho...is-a-modern-holiday-classic-for-broken-souls/
Although “The Holdovers” was shot digitally, the added grain effect makes it look as though it was shot on the same type of cameras and film stocks that would have been used in movies like “Harold and Maude,” “American Graffiti” and “Five Easy Pieces,” easily fooling audience members to believe it was shot on film and, were it not for Paul Giamatti, believing it was actually made in 1970.

Along with looking like the 1970s, the film also sounds like the 1970s. Unlike how they achieved the look of the film, “The Holdovers” was actually filmed using 1970s microphones, and it is obvious from the second the film starts. The sound has the sharpness of monophonic recordings and the soft hiss and crackle of vintage recordings.

Beside the internal sound of the film, the soundtrack is also well-crafted to fit the period and the content. The songs include late-1960s and early-1970s songs like “Venus” by Shocking Blue, “No Matter What” by Badfinger and “The Wind” by Yusuf / Cat Stevens. However, there are also songs featured in the movie that were released only a few years ago, like “Silver Joy” by Damien Jurado and a very unexpected Khruangbin needle drop, “A Calf Born in Winter,” which was a welcome surprise. Despite the fact that modern songs were used in a period piece, a move that may be frowned upon, their use adds immensely to the vintage feel of the film.

The film is also heavily layered with classic Christmas songs throughout the entire runtime, with a mix of familiar, nostalgic versions like Andy Williams’s “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” and some unfamiliar recordings like The Swingle Singers version of “White Christmas” and Chet Baker’s version of “The Christmas Song.

"The sound has the sharpness of monophonic recordings and the soft hiss and crackle of vintage recordings."
"Sound"-ing like and actually being mono are different things. I would guess that it was mixed in stereo, at least. Would a modern re-recording engineer even be comfortable mixing in mono? Are there any engineers from the mono era still working?

"Sound"-ing like and actually being mono are different things. I would guess that it was mixed in stereo, at least. Would a modern re-recording engineer even be comfortable mixing in mono? Are there any engineers from the mono era still working?
Well sir, like Will Rogers, I only know what I read in the newspapers.

I would guess that if the producer / director of a film instructs the recording engineer that he wants his soundtrack in mono, his paid employee will do as he is told.
It seems Payne is going full retro in both the cinematic and sound presentation as an artistic choice.

Whatever his engineers did with it, Payne apparently believes and is telling the press it is in fact mono.
More context in another interview here:

https://flatwaterfreepress.org/an-a...returns-after-six-years-gone-from-big-screen/
After shooting ended in Massachusetts, Payne and editor Tent – the only editor to work on Payne’s feature films – traveled to Omaha and holed up in Payne’s downtown condo for weeks at a time.

They completed the final cut, plus sound mixing and, yes, even special effects, while in Los Angeles.

The end result is a homage to character-based 1970s American films that Payne adores. And it’s more than an homage – most of the camera equipment used in “The Holdovers” was in use during the ’70s. The film’s sound was also mixed in mono – sans stereo – just like the movies of that era.

“A trick I’m trying to pull off with this movie is not only that it is set in 1970 but pretty much looks and sounds like a film actually made then,” Payne said. “Not just to have the social-cultural-political mores and winds of the time as the raw material flowing through the film but also in a larger sense to time travel and pretend we made a ’70s film,” he said.”

In coming as close as possible to realizing his dream of being a New Hollywood ’70s filmmaker, Payne’s a holdover himself. And one who, if the reviews prove true, may have gifted movie lovers with a new Christmas flick to enjoy for seasons to come.

Just watched 'FM', the old movie from 1978. Mostly because I wanted to see the live Jimmy Buffett and Linda Ronstadt performances. Wow, what a trip. More people probably had the Soundtrack Double LP than saw the movie for sure, but it's really not that bad a movie. The "Dolby Stereo" is pretty much stereo. I had the DVD, which I got really cheap. Not sure if this is on BluRay but it's probably not worth it if it is.

Anyway, the story is probably the foundation for the TV Series WKRP in Cincinnati, but the cast is really good and the musical performances are superb. The DVD was worth the price just to see a 1978 Linda Ronstadt belt out "Tumbling Dice" with Waddy Wachtel on guitar and the rest of her band. Vintage and CLASSIC. Damn, she was great. Jimmy Buffett's "Livingston Saturday Night" performance was great as well, however the lyrics are a bit risque for 2023 - "Fifteen will get you 20, that's alright". Hmmm

Anyway, surround aside, if you want a nice nostalgia trip back to 1978 this might be a fun watch for one of those nights when you don't want to have to think deep. Like I said, the cast is really good, the music and the soundtrack are awesome, and the script, while predictable, is not horrible enough to make you shut it off. How's that for a review? "You probably won't shut it off!" :LOL:

Back