Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And a MUST OWN review from highdefdigest.com

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/123580/oppenheimer4kultrahdbluray.html
71e2wPp93EL._SL1500_.jpg

Ronin (1998) 4K:
1. New 4K scan shows way more detail than the previous Arrow BD.
2. DTS-MA 5.1 has some decent discrete moments. Could have benefitted from an audio do-over as some of the dialogue is buried in the mix. Not a major though.
3. As has been said previously in this thread, the movie's OK. I find it a curious flick. De Niro carries it and that last car chase still grabs the attention.
4. I got mine cheap on a Black Friday sale which is the only reason I upgraded from the BD.

Ronin (1998) 4K:
1. New 4K scan shows way more detail than the previous Arrow BD.
2. DTS-MA 5.1 has some decent discrete moments. Could have benefitted from an audio do-over as some of the dialogue is buried in the mix. Not a major though.
3. As has been said previously in this thread, the movie's OK. I find it a curious flick. De Niro carries it and that last car chase still grabs the attention.
4. I got mine cheap on a Black Friday sale which is the only reason I upgraded from the BD.
I had never seen RONIN before, Pete, but found it curiously off kilter on many levels. My disc froze up .... I need a replacement but did watch it to the end expecting MORE but alas, would not recommend it. Yes, the transfer in UHD4K was fine and I had no trouble understanding the dialogue but with such a star studded cast including De Niro, I expected a LOT more.

If you have Amazon Prime, take my recommendation and watch FREAKS VS THE REICH ..... a really surprisingly fine flick with amazing production values! A totally UNKNOWN cast to me .....and in Italian ..... but far more enjoyable, believe me, than RONIN!

Last edited:
Sadly, American actor Ryan O'Neal has passed away at age 82. He famously appeared in Stanley Kubrick's movie Barry Lyndon as the titular character, PAPER MOON, LOVE STORY, WHAT'S UP DOC with Babs Streisand and A BRIDGE TOO FAR....among many others! In 1964 he also appeared in ABC's nighttime drama Peyton Place in which he played the character of RODNEY HARRISON!

R.b186c144e75b583b9df7106fd8e1ebc1

Last edited:
I had never seen RONIN before, Pete, but found it curiously off kilter on many levels. My disc froze up .... I need a replacement but did watch it to the end expecting MORE but alas, would not recommend it. Yes, the transfer in UHD4K was fine and I had no trouble understanding the dialogue but with such a star studded cast including De Niro, I expected a LOT more.

If you have Amazon Prime, take my recommendation and watch FREAKS VS THE REICH ..... a really surprisingly fine flick with amazing production values! A totally UNKNOWN cast to me .....and in Italian ..... but far more enjoyable, believe me, than RONIN!
Yeah, it's no Heat or Leon: The Professional, that's fo sho. I find it a curious watch though that's kind of like a 70's flick from the 90's. Not a great one but some decent driving.

Last edited:
Three Days of the Condor (1975) 4K:

1. I got Kino's 4K/BD release cheap. Superb image. I had the previous BD which presumably used the same 4K scan and that was really sharp - this 4K release takes it up a notch.

2. DTS-MA 5.1 but there ain't much happening in the surrounds except a good deal of hiss in some sections. It ain't distracting though.

3. I find this a fun watch. Chuck it in your spy pile with The Conversation and The Parallax View. Faye Dunaway is superb (her Bronco was a rust bucket) as is Max Von Sydow. Some awesome combovers and toupees too. Even in 4K, I can't figure out how Cliff Robertson did his hair. It might not have been his hair though. Could have been someone else's. It's a mystery.

In honor of the passing of Ryan O'Neal, I 'dug out' my 2017 Criterion 4K 'restoration' of Kubrick's Barry Lyndon. Kubrick purposely shot the film in an aspect ration of 1.67.1 and Criterion has afforded it a 1.66:1 transfer preserving the original Monaural [1.0] sound design and added a repurposed DTS~HD MA 5.1 soundtrack [which I chose]!

Kubrick even had new high speed lenses specifically created for this production so as to preserve the candlelit ambience of interiors ...and might I add to great effect!

At just over 3 hours in length, I enjoyed every minute of Kubrick's sprawling epic. Hopefully, Warner will grace us with a Native UHD4K transfer in the forseeable future.

For now, I am quite pleased with Criterion's current transfer which was struck from the original camera negative!

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

BL-1050x746.jpg

Last edited:
In honor of the passing of Ryan O'Neal, I 'dug out' my 2017 Criterion 4K 'restoration' of Kubrick's Barry Lyndon. Kubrick purposely shot the film in an aspect ration of 1.67.1 and Criterion has afforded it a 1.66:1 transfer preserving the original Monaural [1.0] sound design and added a repurposed DTS~HD MA 5.1 soundtrack [which I chose]!

Kubrick even had new high speed lenses specifically created for this production so as to preserve the candlelit ambience of interiors ...and might I add to great effect!

At just over 3 hours in length, I enjoyed every minute of Kubrick's sprawling epic. Hopefully, Warner will grace us with a Native UHD4K transfer in the forseeable future.

For now, I am quite pleased with Criterion's current transfer which was struck from the original camera negative!

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

BL-1050x746.jpg
Barry Lyndon rules! One of my favourite Kubes at what could be my favourite aspect ratio. Bring on the 4K. We demand satisfaction!

Back