Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ordered The Banshees of Inisherin from AmazonUS @ 50% off and they've even included a 5% off coupon [$9.49]

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Banshees-of-Inisherin-Blu-ray/327497/#Review
27284_1_large.jpg

Must admit i've never seen the film . . . and i was dry heaving reading the article!
I have to admit, I watched that movie when it first came out on DVD, and I have to say, the movie lost me with the toilet scene.
It took me a long while to realize Ewan McGregor was in that movie (like after he played Obi-wan).

I have to admit, I watched that movie when it first came out on DVD, and I have to say, the movie lost me with the toilet scene.
It took me a long while to realize Ewan McGregor was in that movie (like after he played Obi-wan).
Upon release, Boyle's TRAINSPOTTING was considered a groundbreaking flick and did receive favorable reviews. I even bought the soundtrack album which IMO is amazing. I will definitely spring for the 4K when it goes on sale for 50% off!

81GdQDcOaRL._SL1425_.jpg

I've only seen this once but Altman's great and Vilmos Zsigmond is probably my favourite cinematographer so it's in the cart.
Great revisionist Western which altered the way in which future Westerns were conceived. I will await Barnes and Nobles 50% off sale as my mantra, Pete, is NEVER PAY RETAIL. I also have the Criterion BD~V!

Great revisionist Western which altered the way in which future Westerns were conceived. I will await Barnes and Nobles 50% off sale as my mantra, Pete, is NEVER PAY RETAIL. I also have the Criterion BD~V!
Somebody say "revisionist Western/Vilmos Zsigmond"? Might have to spin up The Hired Hand again soon!

One False Move (1991) 4K:

1. Amazon.com

2. A great flick that I've seen a few times and looking great on 4K. Definitely worth the purchase.

3. Audio blurb on the back says "2.0 SURROUND". Big sigh. Then the liner notes say "enable Dolby Pro Logic to hear the 2.0 surround soundtrack". Weird. I decode all stereo movies with DTS Neural or whatever it's called. Sounded great and some sections you'd swear it was a well mixed discrete mix. I've found that a lot of the time stereo-upmixed-to-5.1 movie audio sounds better than other 5.1 tracks.

One False Move (1991) 4K:

1. Amazon.com

2. A great flick that I've seen a few times and looking great on 4K. Definitely worth the purchase.

3. Audio blurb on the back says "2.0 SURROUND". Big sigh. Then the liner notes say "enable Dolby Pro Logic to hear the 2.0 surround soundtrack". Weird. I decode all stereo movies with DTS Neural or whatever it's called. Sounded great and some sections you'd swear it was a well mixed discrete mix. I've found that a lot of the time stereo-upmixed-to-5.1 movie audio sounds better than other 5.1 tracks.
Thanks for the heads up, Pete. AmazonUS is blowing it out for almost 1/2 price and here's blu.ray.com's positive review:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/One-False-Move-4K-Blu-ray/336583/#Review
And agree. Some Dolby Stereo encodes can sound better than actual 5.1 remixes when properly decoded!

Thanks for the heads up, Pete. AmazonUS is blowing it out for almost 1/2 price and here's blu.ray.com's positive review:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/One-False-Move-4K-Blu-ray/336583/#Review
And agree. Some Dolby Stereo encodes can sound better than actual 5.1 remixes when properly decoded!
No worries. A rare flick where, although there is a "main character", there almost isn't one as the story shifts focus as it progresses.

Also notable for being one of the few flicks with two, count 'em, TWO great psychopaths, like Frankenheimer's 52 Pick-up.

Days of Heaven (1978) 4K:

1. Amazon.com

2. Appears to be the same DTS-MA 5.1 from the BD which is very stereo with hardly an insect peep from the surrounds. Low end is really loud and I ended up dropping mine about 6dB. Fidelity is fine though.

3. Image is superb in all respects. Particularly noticeable is how there's no discernable film grain and yet the resolution is razor sharp. That'll give all the "they-DNR'd-the-heck-out-of-this-one" whiners something to ponder. There's a bit of an explanation from the cinematographer in the copious booklet text.

4. Buy I says! Hope they hurry up with The Thin Red Line.

Back