Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From Paramount Pictures, a 10 part mini series focusing on the [almost impossible] making of Francis Ford Coppola's THE GODFATHER

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Offer-Blu-ray/310492/#Review

61nMeTIuhBL._SL1000_.jpg

Love this thread!

I have a question for any of the mods, sorry if this isn't the place. I tried to start a "What Movie Are You Watching" thread a while back and was referred to this thread. This is more about new releases and such, where I would like to know what folks are watching, and I'm suuuuuure everyone wants to know what I'm watching. Anyway, just a thought. It would fit in with the various 'What [enter format here] are you listening/spinning/etc.?' threads.

I just watched The Expendables 4 in 4k. Silly movie but looked great.
I don't know why discussing what you are watching and how it fares should be taboo; I'll be chatting the snot out of The Crow when it gets a release date and some day Seven Samurai in 4k Glory.

I watched Kino Lorber's SUPERB UHD4K presentation of director Michael Cimino's THUNDERBOLT & LIGHTFOOT actually for the first time and enjoyed it immensely. Colors popped but the DTS~HD MA 5.1 soundtrack was meh ... I suggest if you do watch it, play the Stereo dolby surround track for much better immersion.

All the leads, Clint Eastwood, Jeff Bridges and the always gruff George Kennedy did a yeoman's job of bringing Cimino's sprawling tale to life!

Highly Recommended!

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Thunderbolt-and-Lightfoot-4K-Blu-ray/325902/#Review
29123_20_large.jpg
Great to know! I just got this 4K so will hopefully spin it up soon. Great flick. 3 gems in a row for Cimino: This, The Deer Hunter and Heaven's Gate.

Watched the Arrow 4K of Waterworld today. I mentioned a while back I’d check in when I saw it, and man… what a fun movie. Obviously not perfect, but a great movie for a snowed in Saturday here in Denver. The Arrow release takes the Universal 4K’s DTS:X track and ports it to Atmos for the theatrical cut (which is the one I saw. The Extended TV cut and “Ulysses Cut” are 1080 and 5.1). A surprisingly full and engaging track which really helped draw me in.

A tad long (though fans swear by the 3 hour Ulysses Cut), but quite fun!

Watched the Arrow 4K of Waterworld today. I mentioned a while back I’d check in when I saw it, and man… what a fun movie. Obviously not perfect, but a great movie for a snowed in Saturday here in Denver. The Arrow release takes the Universal 4K’s DTS:X track and ports it to Atmos for the theatrical cut (which is the one I saw. The Extended TV cut and “Ulysses Cut” are 1080 and 5.1). A surprisingly full and engaging track which really helped draw me in.

Most of the bad reviews WATERWORLD garnered upon release had to do with it going WAAAYYYY OVER BUDGET [the sets were destroyed by a powerful tropical hurricane] but I always found it VERY entertaining [you gotta love Dennis Hopper]!

As far as turning urine into drinking water ... well I suppose in a pinch Desperate People have to do desperate things!

Most of the bad reviews WATERWORLD garnered upon release had to do with it going WAAAYYYY OVER BUDGET [the sets were destroyed by a powerful tropical hurricane] but I always found it VERY entertaining [you gotta love Dennis Hopper]!
Many years ago I read an article in Vanity Fair about how there was also deliberate inflation of the costs of Waterworld for complicated reasons involving Spielberg and Universal/MCA.

Arriving February 27th from Vinegar Syndrome and director Walter Hill SOUTHERN COMFORT [Native UHD4K from the Interpositive/HDR10/DTS~HD MA 2.0 MONO] Limited edition of 8,000 copies!

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Southern-Comfort-4K-Blu-ray/352023/#Review
30086_1_large.jpg
Great flick. Chuck it in the pile with Deliverance and Rituals. Hope the sound is good. The previous BD's water-sloshing sounds were really loud!
Well, here is Highdefdigest's HIGHLY RECOMMENDED review of Walter Hill's SOUTHERN COMFORT and it looks to be a winner. I already pre~ordered from AmazonUS. According to Vinegar Syndrome's website there are only 1000 copies left:

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/126267/southerncomfort4kultrahdbluraylimitededition.html
VINEGAR SYNDROME website:

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/products/southern-comfort?_pos=1&_psq=southern+comfort&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Coming March 26th from Kino Lorber and director Joshua Logan PAINT YOUR WAGON [Native UHD4K from OCN/HDR10/Dolby Vision/DTS~HD

MA 5.1]
A raucous western comedy starring screen legends Clint Eastwood (The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, High Plains Drifter) and Lee Marvin (Cat Ballou, Monte Walsh), Paint Your Wagon is punctuated by a classic score by the great Lerner and Loewe (My Fair Lady, Gigi), including “They Call the Wind Maria,” “I Talk to the Trees” and “Wand’rin’ Star.” The story of a gold-mining boomtown full of brawny men centers on the work-and-play partnership of prospectors Ben and Pardner (mischievous Marvin and earnest Eastwood). They share everything—the gold, the laughs, the songs…even their wife (spirited Jean Seberg, Breathless, Macho Callahan)! It’s the musical goldmine of ’69, directed by Joshua Logan (South Pacific, Camelot), shot by William A. Fraker (Bullitt, Tombstone) and adapted for the screen by Paddy Chayefsky (Marty, Network)!

91k14bgs-pL._SL1500_.jpg

The Manchurian Candidate (1962) 4K:

1. https://kinolorber.com/product/the-manchurian-candidate-4kuhd

2. An awesome flick with great performances and camerawork.

3. New DTS-MA 5.1 which has a surprising smattering of discrete surround action. There's also a stereo option which is that really wide stereo mix that also plagues Frankenheimer's 52 Pick-Up. You know, the one where if you run it through something like DTS Neural, the surrounds are really loud and you gotta drop the levels but it still sounds bad.

4. I watched the MKV via Zidoo Z9X and some scenes were noticeably lower res than others. There was also a green tint to parts of the image during some scenes. This wasn't a showstopper and I put it down to perhaps some parts of the negative weren't in as good condition as others but the green shift was a bit weird as I've only noticed that on some older black and white BDs - never on 4K. After the movie was over, I played the 4K disc via Sony X800 and no discernable resolution drop and no green tint. I then played the MKV via the Sony X800 and again, res was consistent and no green shift. The Sony X800 don't do the Dolby Vision though so I'm guessing it's DV that's messing with the image or it's the Zidoo Z9X or some weird combo of them all + the Sony TV. I have noticed on one other 4K MKV some strange colours where white-ish text during the credits had a blue shift appear in it. This wasn't present on the disc. I then disabled the Dolby Vision on the Zidoo Z9X (it appears to ignore the DV info and outputs HDR10 or HDR10+ or something) to see if that fixed it and it did. No green and no lower res scenes. Very weird. At least there's a way around it.

Last edited:
Back