Flaming Lips Yoshimi Atmos Blu-ray out November 1st, 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes you can buy downfiring modules that attach under your front wide speakers and reflect off the floor - I’ve got a 7.4.6.4 Atmos system built just for this release.
😂

Lossy can definitely be transparent, but I’ve found 448 Kbps 5.1 Dolby Digital ain’t it.

448 Kbps 2.0 Dolby Digital? Totally different story.

Well, I've never A/B'd lossy vs lossless, my ears are old and abused by many years of loud music, my system is in all likelihood mid-fi and I'm probably not the most discriminating/analytical listener to begin with, so take my opinion with a number of grains of salt. But I'm usually very happy with most DD and DTS lossy mixes. I still always choose hi-rez lossless when it's an option- unless there's some reason like accessing bleep blop animations- just because I'm far from sure. But lossless generally works fine for me. Even in the case of streaming Atmos, where the math says it's gotta sound worse, I hear some gorgeous Atmos mixes over streaming, like the new Apostrophe mix. I gues maybe it's a case of ignorance being bliss? 🤷‍♂️

Hopefully, the NEW Atmos remix can correct the LFE shift that occurred with the original MLP DVD~A 5.1 of YOSHIMI as uncovered by QQ moderator steelydave in this post from February 2021

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ave-a-lfe-issue-info-list-fixes-inside.30048/
I feel like the lossy Atmos mix on Apple Music has even weaker bass than the 5.1 DVD-Audio. The bass drops on the the title track are almost non-existent. Hopefully the full resolution Blu-ray will fix that.

Having enjoyed the 5.1, I'm in for Dolby Atmos!
I just ordered the blu-ray for 50AUD on Amazon UK. I already own the DVD which I bought for 50AUD last year. I was thinking about selling the DVD to pay for the blu ray. Is there any reason to keep both? Any thoughts?

Back