Frank Zappa Waka/Wazoo Deluxe 4CD + Blu-Ray 5.1 and Atmos!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a separate rant, why Dolby TrueHD anyway? I ALWAYS prefer DTS 5.1 over DD 5.1. It just sounds better.
I believe it's a format decision because it's BluRay. TrueHD is a specific spec and ensures any modern BluRay player, most of them meeting that spec/codec, can playback the stream.

** According to wikipedia, Atmos piggy backs on/uses the TrueHD format. So likely not just because it's BluRay, but because it's a 2 birds with one stone situation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_TrueHD

I believe it's a format decision because it's BluRay. TrueHD is a specific spec and ensures any modern BluRay player, most of them meeting that spec/codec, can playback the stream.

** According to wikipedia, Atmos piggy backs on the TrueHD format. So likely not just because it's BluRay, but because it's a 2 birds with one stone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_TrueHD
This disc has both 5.1 and Atmos.

This disc has both 5.1 and Atmos.
Yes, that was my point. They could produce them both right out of the same engineering session because they would be using the same software tools for both mixes. Atmos is just TrueHD with spatial programming added. I didn't know this until 10 minutes ago, just sharing what I stumbled on/answering jaypfunk's question. All that's a touch deeper than I ever need to dive as a casual listener, tbh. Interesting nonetheless in how futureproof the TrueHD format is (16 channels at 192khz/24 bit, normalization, spatial, and a few other things listed on the wiki page).

…also I cannot hear any significant volume differences between the albums or the menu.
I'm with you on the music and mix, and I can't hear any volume differences either. Can there be differences between the US and EU discs?
Maybe EU Blu-Ray players ignore the dialnorm metadata?

Hey,
can someone tell me if the bluray is digital available? I searched all over the internet but it seem like its only available in the box set.
Thats really sad if you have no bluray player or drive.

Last edited:
I played my Blu-ray today for the first time, choosing 5.1 and it sounded great. no issues at all, using Oppo UDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Player with Pioneer VSX-LX103 elite 7.2-ch Network AV Receiver. Also I never explored Zappa's music but I love this. I like Jazz and rock, so it works very well together.

Hey I just realized on Grand Wazoo tracks 1 & 2 are reversed from the album order. "For Calvin" is track 1 on the LP but it's 2 on this release. I thought something sounded odd when I played it but I couldn't place it until now. I wonder what's up with that?

BTW George Duke's piano intro on Eat That Question has always SLAYED! Just wanted to mention :bowing:

Hey I just realized on Grand Wazoo tracks 1 & 2 are reversed from the album order. "For Calvin" is track 1 on the LP but it's 2 on this release. I thought something sounded odd when I played it but I couldn't place it until now. I wonder what's up with that?

BTW George Duke's piano intro on Eat That Question has always SLAYED! Just wanted to mention :bowing:
They followed the order in 1995 Ryko remaster

Mine arrived this morning (unexpectedly, as I wasn't expecting until after Christmas :SB ).

Listened to the 5.1 earlier, while nursing an after office Christmas party hangover 🍷🍷🍷🍷 ! It is an excellent surround mix, I really enjoyed it. This is going to get many listens.

Further to other comments upstream, I do have a volume difference between the menu and the albums themselves, of at least 10.

It is a really nice package too. I've now listened to the last 2 cds too, and the sound quality of them is excellent as well.

Frank.jpg

UMG got back to me, but, no info on when they'd actually ship, just ASAP -apparently they're having too much fun at office holiday parties🥳

On the plus side, my Amazon order was delivered in less than 24 hours, waiting for me before I even got outta bed :dance

The MakeMKV disc structure for this one (I ripped the TrueHD 5.1 for now)-

ZAPPA WW MakeMKV.jpg

The first song files in Audacity for each 1st song (WAKA/JAWAKA) is only slightly louder (center channel only, which seems to be the most in amplitude in these mixes)

BIG SWIFTY AUDACITY.jpg

and on The Grand Wazoo-

TGW - FILE.jpg

Nice DRs!

WAKA - JAWAKA FB2K.jpg

THE GRAND WAZOO FB2K.jpg

Back