Hawkwind "Doremi Fasol Latido" (Stephen W Tayler 5.1 Mix out in November!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I have no say or control over how much these cost, I have to point out just how much passionate hard work goes into these special box sets by everyone involved, and then the ever increasing physical costs. No one is trying to cash in on these, believe me - it is for ever on the edge. And in the case of this project which includes the full Greasy Truckers live show, it is like a set of two complete albums pushed to the limit. I was so amazed and emotional about the Greasy Truckers concert I tried to encourage them to release it in the surround format, rather than just on the stereo CD. I am so delighted they went ahead. One of my absolute favourites.

SWTx
That Greasy Trucker's gig was a bit of a Holy Grail for me, it was originally only a very limited edition on LP (Mail order only if I remember correctly), a friend at school was the only one to get it. Then I never saw another copy! I managed to get the CD release via Discogs a few years ago when I stumbled across it looking for something else, and to now have it in surround, wonderful.

It wouldn't hurt if they released standalone blu-rays alongside though, would it?
For the bigger bands out there I agree with this sentiment. But for artists on the level of Hawkwind, Van Der Graaf, Al Stewart, etc...I think we are extremely fortunate that record companies are taking the time and using their funds to provide absolutely stellar editions of titles that are not on the tip of the average music fans Tongue. These are labors of love and the fact that they hire someone as respected as @Stephen W Tayler to handle the surround mixes is evidence to me of just how much these boxes are the direct opposite of a "money grab". Kudos to everyone involved on giving these albums the first class treatment they deserve!

For the bigger bands out there I agree with this sentiment. But for artists on the level of Hawkwind, Van Der Graaf, Al Stewart, etc...I think we are extremely fortunate that record companies are taking the time and using their funds to provide absolutely stellar editions of titles that are not on the tip of the average music fans Tongue. These are labors of love and the fact that they hire someone as respected as @Stephen W Tayler to handle the surround mixes is evidence to me of just how much these boxes are the direct opposite of a "money grab". Kudos to everyone involved on giving these albums the first class treatment they deserve!

Well, for VdGG we did have the standalone DVDs released with the surround mixes from the big box, and Hawkwind previously had Warrior on the Edge of Time released very affordably. Days of the Underground included 3 albums, making it about £30 each, so not too far off from having individual blu-rays released separately. So it can be done in a manner that feels fair to the wallet of surround sound enthusiasts.

I have no knowledge of the inner workings of the music industry, so granted that there may be a lot of naivete in my question, but once there is a blu-ray authored for a box set, is there anything that precludes its standalone release in a bog standard blue blu-ray plastic case other than somebody's executive decision not do so at a comparatively small cost? And potentially a whole new revenue stream from those interested only in the hi-res and surround audio but giving the box a hard pass at the asking price?

While I have no say or control over how much these cost, I have to point out just how much passionate hard work goes into these special box sets by everyone involved, and then the ever increasing physical costs. No one is trying to cash in on these, believe me - it is for ever on the edge. And in the case of this project which includes the full Greasy Truckers live show, it is like a set of two complete albums pushed to the limit. I was so amazed and emotional about the Greasy Truckers concert I tried to encourage them to release it in the surround format, rather than just on the stereo CD. I am so delighted they went ahead. One of my absolute favourites.

SWTx

Just a thought Stephen , but maybe in future a clamshell box might do better , with the price, providing you have some say either way. I notice they like to include oversize books as of late , unlike what's contained in "Warrior At The Edge Of Time".

This set is at 85 lbs , which is double in Canadian dollars. $170.00.
I can justify this though as you really have made TWO albums in 5.1. So it's a better deal ....me knowing this.

Oh and thanks for more Hawkwind.

I don't have any involvement or say with the format or price so I'd rather not discuss it - I just wanted to try and dismiss the concept of money-grabbing. SWTx
Oh, I think it’s a money grab! These amazing sets get released…I grab my money and buy them! Thanks Stephen!!!

Just seeing this release information, with the added mega bonus of Stephen doing the mixes is like seeing the specs of a super sweet hot car, and in the fine print, it says it has a 520 horse super charged V12 under the hood.

So damn exciting!

1725122912562.png

Sure is! Yesterday was the official release date for X In Search of Space Deluxe edition and on the same day the pre-order was announced for this. How often does that happen? This should be the standard. 😃

SWTx
Thank you for this post. The term "cash grab" with ANY release that doesn't satisfy certain buyers is WAY overused. Don't like it? Don't buy it. I am nowhere near in the "wealthy" category, but I was ecstatic with the Who's Next box, even if I had to finance it with Affirm. I would rather these things be released than not.

Now the people buying these things and then selling them on Discogs or eBay at a 300% markup are the ones pulling a "cash grab".

I just noticed this new box set does not include the alternate version of ejection that appears on the expanded CD
So a question for @Stephen W Tayler if he knows why or has further details. Always loved that track on Robert Calverts Captain Lockheed solo album....

I just noticed this new box set does not include the alternate version of ejection that appears on the expanded CD
So a question for @Stephen W Tayler if he knows why or has further details. Always loved that track on Robert Calverts Captain Lockheed solo album....
On my one & only visit to the UK in '95, bought this used for £12 in the Hawkwind section of now-extinct Track Records, in the York medieval Shambles.
They used to run a small add every month in the back pages of MOJO.

Along with the 79-minute Hawkwind Live Chronicles 1985 for half as much.
Made for trippy headphone listening with a cocktail on the flight home. :phones

1725548327719.jpeg

Later got Harvey Bainbridge's autograph when he played a solo live club show in Milwaukee.
Keyboard synth & effects over backing tracks on digital mini-disc player, very 90s tech. 🎹🎛️🎶

1725548686733.jpeg

Happy to ride the Hawkwind surround re-mix train to the end of the line, there's unlimited potential there, but to get these 50+ years-old early releases with all the bonus material is an unexpected pleasure.

Another vote here for Hall of the Mountain Grill, in due course. ⛰️🌋🛸

SWTx
Thanks. When you're weighing up what's possible for yourself budget-wise, it's always good to hear from this perspective. One doesn't often get that opportunity and it's appreciated.

PreOrdered this and Bill Nelson's Quit Dreaming & Get on the Beam from importcds today.

Reactions: GOS
Looking forward to it now if only someone could convince Cherry Red to quit using those suicide sleeves. Will my media be OK? let's open it and see what falls out ...
X - In Search Of Space is on it's way back because the new mix CD must have rattled the entire way across the pond loose in the box.

Last edited:
Back