Honda 5.1 Frankenstein 2023

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three short drives this past week with just 15 albums in the Vehicle folder:

Group 87 - Sublime Feline
Shawn Phillips - She Was Waitin’ for Her Mother at the Station in Torino and You Know I Love Baby but It’s Getting Too Heavy to Laugh
Lou Reed - Rock ’n’ Roll
Sting - Bring On the Night / When the World Is Running Down You Make the Best of What’s Still Around
Terje Rypdal - Steady
Radiohead - Climbing Up the Walls
Synergy - Slaughter on Tenth Ave

Sting - Down So Long
Zuider Zee - Thank You
Synergy - Ancestors
Midge Ure - I See Hope in the Morning Light
Radiohead - No Surprises
Jan Hammer - Darkness/Earth In Search of a Sun
Synergy - Delta Two
Supertramp - Lady
Synergy - Launch at Dawn
Soft Machine - Facelift

Kevin Gilbert - Waiting
Group 87 - Hall of Glass
Terje Rypdal - Strange Behaviour
Zuider Zee - The Breaks
Soft Machine - Moon in June

No difference actually; it's still one song at a time (randomly).

The struggle for commercial release listening time is real.
Yes, we've been blessed this past year or so. Bank accounts: not so much. If I told you how much I spent just this year....jeez I could have bought a beater to drive around. lol.

Yes, we've been blessed this past year or so. Bank accounts: not so much. If I told you how much I spent just this year....jeez I could have bought a beater to drive around. lol.
I've got 3 beaters I rotate; '88 Civic, '97 4Runner and '04 acura TL. My wife drives the one with the payment attached for another year.

UPDATE: I've settled on 40 albums at a time on a spare Crucial 2TB SSD as about the right balance to feel the music is fresh. The re-start skip track issue seems to almost disappear with 40 albums indexed rather than 500 albums to find tracks.

Had a fabulous drive on Thursday afternoon, marvelling how pleasant the music was and how well the old best was running. All wonderful UNTIL I lost power in the engine! This was about 1/2 a mile from home. I'd just made it over a hill and could coast while I figured out where to get it off the road. I did see a small opening in the oncoming traffic, so I quickly cut into the church driveway and coasted almost to the parking lot. This was the church we were married in so that's a neat twist! That was 7pm. AAA towing is a PITA these days, no valid status updates and they finally arrived about 12:30am to tow the car to our tech's shop at home. Awaiting word now on this no spark or fuel starve situation; it's possibly the igniter. rotor or fuel pump. It's not a daily driver so okay.

Here is the playback from this drive ((9/19) and some previous outings:

Jan Hammer - The Animals
Steve Tibbetts - Metal Summer
The Flower Kings - Stardust We Are, Part 3 (re-recorded 1998 version)
Jellyfish - New Mistake
National Health - T.N.T.F.X.
Unwed Sailor - Bitte' End
Happy the Man - Stepping Through Time
Robin Trower - Daydream
Ozric Tentacles - Green Incantation

Kevin Gilbert - Goodness Gracious
Mike Keneally - Race the Stars
Terje Rypdal - Steady
Peter Hammill - Imperial Zeppelin
Romeo Void - Just Too Easy
3rd Matinee - Silver Cage
Happy the Man - Kindred Spirits
Robin Trower - Man of the World
Radiohead - Electioneering
The Tubes - Mondo Bondage
R.E.M. - These Days
Mikael Åkerfeldt - The Weak Heart
Robin Trower - I Can’t Wait Much Longer
The Amazing - When the Colours Change
Fountains of Wayne - Hung Up on You
Radiohead - Exit Music (for a Film)
Mike Keneally - Pretzels
The Tubes - What Do You Want From Life

Midge Ure - Sweet 'n' Sensitive Thing
Robin Trower - Sinner’s Song
National Health - Elephants
Mikael Åkerfeldt - Druglord Panic
Spirit - Street Worm
The Flower Kings - There Is More to This World
Mikael Åkerfeldt - Ode to Confusion in A Minor
Volto! - Quirk
Unwed Sailor - Mute the Charm
Radiohead - Climbing Up the Walls
Fountains of Wayne - Stacy’s Mom

Ozric Tentacles - Storm in a Teacup
Robin Trower - I Can’t Stand It
Unwed Sailor - Windy City Dreams
Leon Russell - Me and Baby Jane
Radiohead - Subterranean Homesick Alien
Mikael Åkerfeldt - Northern Hemispheres
Fountains of Wayne - Mexican Wine
The Aristocrats - Sgt. Rockhopper
Spirit - Mr. Skin
Jan Hammer - Light/Sun
Edgar Winter - Winter's Dream: Entrance
Volto! - Whopner
Happy the Man - Lunch at the Psychedelicatessen
Steve Tibbetts - Another Year

Last edited:
That was 7pm. AAA towing is a PITA these days, no valid status updates and they finally arrived about 12:30am to tow the car to our tech's shop at home. Awaiting word now on this no spark or fuel starve situation; it's possibly the igniter. rotor or fuel pump. It's not a daily driver so okay.
Good luck with your ride, bummer to have it die on ya.
I've found I could get better roadside service for a whole lot less money, having the roadside service plan on my auto insurance policy than paying the yearly AAA fee.
YMMV

Good luck with your ride, bummer to have it die on ya.
I've found I could get better roadside service for a whole lot less money, having the roadside service plan on my auto insurance policy than paying the yearly AAA fee.
YMMV
The Honda should be a simple fix and not too costly.

This family has 4 AAA gold cards and the tow results score is 1.5 out of 4.0 incidents:
1. Downtown Chicago - sat too long with lights on (duh), ran battery down - NEVER dispatched (got a mercy jump and we made it to concert barely)
2. Near house - son's 4Runner lost auto transmission - GOOD flatbed was there less than 1 hour (luck of the draw)
3. Alabama - other son's CR-V ignition switch failed - NEVER dispatched (tech trick, hold the key in position for 60 miles, dropped it at the shop)
4. Near house - my case above - FINALLY six hours after the request made

This tow driver agreed the current automated dispatch sucks badly; he says use any wrecker service, this forces AAA reimbursement. Hate to give up on them, because they have gotten me out of a few jams, just not lately. The mighty have fallen.

Only saw this thread now, so not sure if this is still relevant, but I would not use an HDD in a car. Too much vibration. SSDs are cheap.
Thanks, I'd already switched to Crucial 2TB SSD several months ago; the WD 2TB EasyStore HDD I started out with did not take kindly to all of my constant desk>car>desk>car daily handling and failed. No problems since.

Back