Steven Wilson New Order Dolby Atmos Mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My thoughts on Low-Life and a related conspiracy theory: Has anyone else noticed that the kick drum sound throughout the album is severely over-boosted in the mix? Every kick sounds like a thud, as if my woofers are being tapped out- even at a reasonable volume. I’m not well-versed in sound engineering, so the technical term “thud” will have to do, but I do know enough to confirm it’s not my system at fault. The Atmos mix of Movement doesn’t exhibit this issue, and it’s Movement that is being featured on Apple Music’s Spatial Audio page, not Low-Life. I wonder if there’s a real issue with the mix on LL, and they’ve chosen to let it rest until it can be fixed.

Has anyone else noticed that the kick drum sound throughout the album is severely over-boosted in the mix?
No, the kick sound and general low-end response seem pretty similar to me on both albums.

This is just a shot in the dark, but maybe the LFE channel was filtered on Movement but not Low-Life? This could alter the low-end response depending on how you have your sub configured.

I just want a 24/96 5.1 release of Republic and Get Ready (with all the extras B sides and tracks recorded around the same time) to happen.

My thoughts on Low-Life and a related conspiracy theory: Has anyone else noticed that the kick drum sound throughout the album is severely over-boosted in the mix? Every kick sounds like a thud, as if my woofers are being tapped out- even at a reasonable volume. I’m not well-versed in sound engineering, so the technical term “thud” will have to do, but I do know enough to confirm it’s not my system at fault. The Atmos mix of Movement doesn’t exhibit this issue, and it’s Movement that is being featured on Apple Music’s Spatial Audio page, not Low-Life. I wonder if there’s a real issue with the mix on LL, and they’ve chosen to let it rest until it can be fixed.
I also hear it (just went down and listened to a few snippets to make sure). I just got my system back up after a couple weeks (the video side; the audio has been on and warmed up all this time), so haven't listened to anything new for a bit. That'll all change likely tonight. :) But I'll be bummed if that thud is on all of Low Life, as I now expect. Movement is our life preserver, for now.

I just threw on the AirPods Max (listening via headphones would presumably reveal if there's an issue with the LFE information folding down) and toggled between the Atmos & original stereo of "A Perfect Kiss" - it's a little tricky to carefully A/B because the Atmos mix is quieter than the stereo, but I still don't hear such a radical difference. The kick sound is definitely a bit beefier in the Atmos mix, though not to the point of being distracting - at least to me.

Back