I need a new decoder/processor/preamp - suggestions please

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your input chaps. Youre right about both my budget and the lack of lower priced standalone processors.
Ive added another 200 euro to my budget and have found a few 9.2 receivers (with an additional 2 line level height channels) for around the 700 euro mark.
Unfortunately theyre either in the UK (which now entails usurious import duties since brexit) or continental europe and so far Im struggling to find someone happy to deliver to Ireland - Ill just have to be patient until something rears its head.
Thankfully, I never did get around to getting rid of my old Teufel 5.1 decoder so, whilst far from ideal, at least I have that to tide me over

Can't it be repaired?
Its endlessly cycling the loading process. Research suggests that is the kiss of death. So far as I can ascertain, theres no Emotiva support in Europe and its not going to be financially viable to return it to its home on the offchance that it is repairable, especially since Emotiva no longer seem to offer support for it.

Besides which, its an excuse to buy an exciting new toy.................

Thanks for your input chaps. Youre right about both my budget and the lack of lower priced standalone processors.
Ive added another 200 euro to my budget and have found a few 9.2 receivers (with an additional 2 line level height channels) for around the 700 euro mark.
Unfortunately theyre either in the UK (which now entails usurious import duties since brexit) or continental europe and so far Im struggling to find someone happy to deliver to Ireland - Ill just have to be patient until something rears its head.
Thankfully, I never did get around to getting rid of my old Teufel 5.1 decoder so, whilst far from ideal, at least I have that to tide me over

Given the time of the year, it would be sensible to hold out until the Black Friday and the week that follows. There are usually a couple of AVR deals available truly at once-in-a-year prices.

Because you are trying to replace an Emotiva, a very upmarket product, with something much cheaper.
I am quite aware but that is my situation and, being aware of what is within my means, I would like to get the best bang for my buck.

Denon and Marantz have some older used offerings that seem to meet my needs. Obviously, Id prefer to get my hands on a new toy sooner rather than later but Im happy to bide my time until I find something that hits a decent price to performance ratio

Anyway, I was trying to steer this conversation away from the state of my personal finances and back to recommendations (or links) to equipment thats value for money within the budget I mentioned

I am quite aware but that is my situation and, being aware of what is within my means, I would like to get the best bang for my buck.
I think there's a large chance you will be disappointed with the sound quality you can get, hence my asking if your Emotiva could be repaired.

I think there's a large chance you will be disappointed with the sound quality you can get, hence my asking if your Emotiva could be repaired.

Ive done some reading on the emotiva forum and the prognosis isnt good. Its been, despite a slight clunkiness, great at its job but Im hoping to find c3-5yr old higher end denon or marantz that is only a marginal downgrade

Why? Modern AVRs trump most vintage equipment with the room correction software alone. Even if there was objective evidence of better performance with sound processing switched off (is there?), some modern AVRs, including several more budget-friendly models, have measured performance in the ballpark where further improvements can produce only small or inaudible differences.

Objectively measured performance of Emotiva processors has been underwhelming, to put it mildly:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/emotiva-xmc-2-review-av-processor.26378/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/emotiva-rmc-1-av-processor-review.11673/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...urements-of-emotiva-xmc-1-gen-2-pre-pro.9225/

So I don't know what you can find over there. Maybe luck out and get a used Denon x3800H for a decent price.
Over here I've seen the Onkyo TX-RZ50 new going for around $750-800 US. Same with the 7100 model. There are some Pioneer models as well.
All these I listed have 9 channels of amplification {support 11 channels decoding Atmos for 7.1.4 or 7.2.4)+ pre-outs so you would need a separate stereo amp or two depending on what you want to do, or if you have an AVR with analog inputs you could use it to support the additional channels.

Ive done some reading on the emotiva forum and the prognosis isnt good. Its been, despite a slight clunkiness, great at its job but Im hoping to find c3-5yr old higher end denon or marantz that is only a marginal downgrade

The opposite, it's likely to be a substantial upgrade.

If you were dead-set on the Emotiva being your best option, there is currently a UMC-1 on eBay UK going for £320 with a code. Maybe you could work out something with the seller or have it shipped to anyone you might know in NI or a friend of a friend of a friend, and then have it posted from there or work out having it moved across the border.

Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23574209...hBZesyOKnMCJB0HF2JohViicQJ8qPHqRoCCBoQAvD_BwE

I went with the Onkyo TX-RZ50 for the Dirac Live room correction, it's built into the firmware so no fee. One thing it and the 7100 lack is Auro3D processing if that's important.
Not having an ideal room, the Dirac Live has made a pretty big difference for me. YMMV.
But like I said, if you can snag a used Denon X3800H for a good price that would be sweet.

Back