Howard Jones surround mixes from Cherry Red!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And on to Howards Human Lib
Never bought either of these releases back in the day.
Well, I've put that right now.
SWT really has excelled himself in this 5.1 mix too.

If anything, it's a shame he wasn't asked to mix them in Dolby Atmos too, as they are prime candidates for that 360 treatment.

I know we have the Dolby Atmos tracks on both releases by Bob Clearmountain, which in themselves, are very good.
IIRC, Stephen has said he's still getting up to speed on his Atmos studio and mixing in the format.

I'm just a 5.1 guy so, no matter to me anyway. ;)

Damn, pre ordered as soon as it was announced. Still no news.
I see some of you have got their BR already delivered...

Where did you order from?
I can’t remember 🤣
Will have to check 🧐
Edit: Turns out I ordered from Amazon, but the order was hung up for some reason (still unclear to me...)
Just as well...I cancelled it and saved a few bucks by ordering from Deep Discount!

Last edited:
I haven't done Atmos for these releases - my 5.1 mixes were actually done a while ago.... Clearmountain's were added more recently while Howard was in LA

I am in the position to do Atmos now....
Sorry, the answer likely in these 9 pages, the reason for Bob Clearmountain only doing 5 Atmos tracks between the two albums?

My copy's arrived today and looking very forward to a great surround experience.

I haven't said it yet Stephen but your 5.1 mixes are truly incredible, we must think alike as I like your choices as if they were mine, keep up the good work.

Sorry, the answer likely in these 9 pages, the reason for Bob Clearmountain only doing 5 Atmos tracks between the two albums?

My copy's arrived today and looking very forward to a great surround experience.

I haven't said it yet Stephen but your 5.1 mixes are truly incredible, we must think alike as I like your choices as if they were mine, keep up the good work.
Thank you!!
The sets had been completed by yours truly some time ago in the 5.1 and stereo format along with my visuals - but then Howard happened to be in LA and hooked up with his long time friend Bob, so the opportunity was taken to try just a few tracks in Atmos, and so it was decided to add them as bonus tracks at the last minute.

I saw some posts, maybe menu problems?
I popped both discs, in the player, menu perfect, and play perfect, did quick check on all variants.

Ripping both discs now, I always rip 5.1's and stereos as FLAC, but going to keep these all as MKV because cool graphics.
I will play the stereo and 5.1 as I do for the FLAC, analogue outs from the DAC, and will play the ATMOS via the HDMI.

I have JRiver as the player and makes all this possible with a click of a button, JRiver is the best.

I saw some posts, maybe menu problems?
I popped both discs, in the player, menu perfect, and play perfect, did quick check on all variants.

Ripping both discs now, I always rip 5.1's and stereos as FLAC, but going to keep these all as MKV because cool graphics.
I will play the stereo and 5.1 as I do for the FLAC, analogue outs from the DAC, and will play the ATMOS via the HDMI.

I have JRiver as the player and makes all this possible with a click of a button, JRiver is the best.
Sorry for deviating from the topic, but I just bought JRiver. I did it more for 4K playback. I still use PowerDVD often....configuring JRiver has been something of a pain for me but it's starting to come around. lol.

Sorry for deviating from the topic, but I just bought JRiver. I did it more for 4K playback. I still use PowerDVD often....configuring JRiver has been something of a pain for me but it's starting to come around. lol.
Yeah, my personal opinion is like almost all software they offer too many things. My use of JRiver has evolved over years.

It took me a day, yesterday to get all ripped and tidy (both discs), I was doing it in between other projects.
I did rip a little different than usual mainly for the graphics.
I'll explain all in the poll threads when I am done with full listens with pen and paper.
I will give a hint as to may poll thread commentary, fantastic.

Just got through my first listens of both albums and......WOW! These are wonderful. I knew the hits but had never heard either album in full. The material is all strong. The mixes are great. Love the visuals. (A much better experience than watching the same dozen or so photos repeat over and over like on the Who's Next blu-ray). All in nice, affordable packages.

@Stephen W Tayler , amazing job! Is it too early to ask when we'll be getting One to One & Cross That Line? :cool:

Thank you Stephen W Tayler.
Finally got these this week in the mail. Both are FANTASTIC. I seriously encourage any of you on the fence with these. I doubt you will be disappointed. I have been hoping for some vintage HoJo in high res surround. Wishes do sometimes come true.

Back