SPOTLIGHT Joni Mitchell The Asylum Albums (1972-1975) (Quadio Boxed Set)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2 bluray audios, AMosrisette and Hootie, arrived last Monday in a dhl plastic bag with no protection whatsoever, just the two amaray cases inside. Miraculously no damaged or cracked cases. I hope my JMitchell's quadio boxset comes with some kind of protection.
Those who already have it, was it shipped well protected?
MIne was very well protected, surrounded by ample bubble wrap within a cardboard box.

Overall, when the “Close Bag” update is used, it just means that the item has been bundled with other packages destined for the same location. The bag is now closed and it will be loaded onto the plane or truck for further transit. This can mean a window of a few days before you receive another update.

Hopefully it's not being sent on a Boeing jet or we may never get it.

Hopefully it's not being sent on a Boeing jet or we may never get it.

giphy.gif

Only listened to FTR and C&S in Dolby Atmos so far. FTR can really be seen as a transition from her folkie to her jazzy style, and it was
at that point when it came out that I started to lose interest in Joni (C&S, as great as it sounds here, lost me in its second half, and despite
its popularity, was never a favorite with me). Like others, I would really appreciate LADIES OF THE CANYON in Dolby Atmos! Meanwhile, FTR
sounds excellent and I'm very happy to have it! While I lost interest in Joni for a while, HEJIRA reawakened my admiration, and I hope that's on the horizon in Dolby Atmos. . . .

Last edited:
For those of you already working on replacement copies, I feel your pain, but that's kind of a "first world" problem compared to mine. I'm stuck in the same infuriating loop I was in with the Spinners/War/et al 4-disc Quadio set.

Like most of you here, I ordered a week ago on the 18th as soon as the pre-orders went live. I immediately got an order confirmation on the Rhino website along with their promise that an email receipt with tracking information "would soon follow." It, however, did not, which seems to happen more often than not when I order on the Rhino website. Therefore, I didn't think too much about it. On Friday, several forum members began posting about shipments being in transit along with expected delivery dates. Since I had not received anything back from Rhino, I hopped on their website to check my order status. It showed that it had "SHIPPED," however there was no tracking number and the shipping method was only listed as "STANDARD." To try and confirm it had indeed shipped, I checked my credit card activity and the money was taken out by Rhino on Friday (4/19.)

I decided to sit tight and wait until this week for some kind of follow-up or tracking info. Yesterday, when I still had not heard back, I reached out to my credit card company and they confirmed that Rhino charged my card last Friday. I then filled out a help request on the Rhino website, and to their credit, I did hear back from a representative in short order. Unfortunately, I got the exact same "boiler plate" reply I received when I had shipping problems with the other Quadio box set.

The bottom line is that I don't know any more about the status of my order than I did a week ago when I placed it.

Rhino makes terrific music products that don't disappoint and I go out of my way to support their efforts. However, I do not understand why they cannot get a better handle on their e-tail business, especially in this day and age when physical media has increasingly become a direct-to-consumer product.

I am confident, one way or another, I will eventually receive my boxset. Rhino stands behind the goods they sell. I just wish I didn't have to jump through so many hoops to get get my hands on them.

Receipt.jpg
Shipped.jpg
Screen Shot 2024-04-24 at 8.18.38 AM.png

For those of you already working on replacement copies, I feel your pain, but that's kind of a "first world" problem compared to mine. I'm stuck in the same infuriating loop I was in with the Spinners/War/et al 4-disc Quadio set.

Like most of you here, I ordered a week ago on the 18th as soon as the pre-orders went live. I immediately got an order confirmation on the Rhino website along with their promise that an email receipt with tracking information "would soon follow." It, however, did not, which seems to happen more often than not when I order on the Rhino website. Therefore, I didn't think too much about it. On Friday, several forum members began posting about shipments being in transit along with expected delivery dates. Since I had not received anything back from Rhino, I hopped on their website to check my order status. It showed that it had "SHIPPED," however there was no tracking number and the shipping method was only listed as "STANDARD." To try and confirm it had indeed shipped, I checked my credit card activity and the money was taken out by Rhino on Friday (4/19.)

I decided to sit tight and wait until this week for some kind of follow-up or tracking info. Yesterday, when I still had not heard back, I reached out to my credit card company and they confirmed that Rhino charged my card last Friday. I then filled out a help request on the Rhino website, and to their credit, I did hear back from a representative in short order. Unfortunately, I got the exact same "boiler plate" reply I received when I had shipping problems with the other Quadio box set.

The bottom line is that I don't know any more about the status of my order than I did a week ago when I placed it.

Rhino makes terrific music products that don't disappoint and I go out of my way to support their efforts. However, I do not understand why they cannot get a better handle on their e-tail business, especially in this day and age when physical media has increasingly become a direct-to-consumer product.

I am confident, one way or another, I will eventually receive my boxset. Rhino stands behind the goods they sell. I just wish I didn't have to jump through so many hoops to get get my hands on them.

View attachment 104767View attachment 104770View attachment 104771
I'm in the same boat as you. The last time this happened to me, i was asked to wait six weeks. My Quadios never arrived, and at that point, Rhino did send me replacements. I think i may be waiting another six weeks before Rhino sends me a replacement for the Joni Mitchell set that, i fear, is also lost in transit. Rhino has taught me many lessons in patience and acceptance. Peace

That's one of my absolute favs, Adam! Have it on vinyl [somewhere....] Does SONY control the ode label?
According to the Wikipedia listing, it's controlled by Sony, but a couple of albums are still controlled by former label owner Lou Adler. If, as this listing shows, he still owns the rights to Tommy by the London Symphony Orchestra and makes deals for distribution, (Rhino is one listed,) maybe we could see the quad of that Tommy out on Blu-ray as a Quadio! 😃 )
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ode_Records

According to the Wikipedia listing, it's controlled by Sony, but a couple of albums are still controlled by former label owner Lou Adler. If, as this listing shows, he still owns the rights to Tommy by the London Symphony Orchestra and makes deals for distribution, (Rhino is one listed,) maybe we could see the quad of that Tommy out on Blu-ray as a Quadio! 😃 )
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ode_Records
my regular CDs are in a real mess at the moment, stuffs still all over the place after getting them out of storage 😩🤯🤷🏻‍♀️

IMG_6308.jpeg

..but the couple of Tom Scott CDs i can lay my hands on right now were both to all intents and purposes on Sony.

the Tom Scott compilation was on CBS/Columbia/Ode & the LA Express album in question was an Epic/Ode/Legacy release.

they're fairly old CDs at this stage and these things change all the time of course, so probably the best person to help out is @steelydave - i'll put out the Bat Signal! 😂💡🤩

IMG_6310.jpeg

yes indeed-y! 🥳 this record, Ralphie 🤩

View attachment 104748

the Quad got as far as a catalog listing back in the day

The L.A. Express. Ode 8Q-88021 (Q8)
:bowing: thank you Freddie-sama!

With Larry Carlton on guitar; an instant buy as a Quadio, provided it exists and safely vaulted, of course.

BTW, my Joni Quadio has shipped and should arrive soon.

my regular CDs are in a real mess at the moment, stuffs still all over the place after getting them out of storage 😩🤯🤷🏻‍♀️

View attachment 104805

..but the couple of Tom Scott CDs i can lay my hands on right now were both to all intents and purposes on Sony.

the Tom Scott compilation was on CBS/Columbia/Ode & the LA Express album in question was an Epic/Ode/Legacy release.

they're fairly old CDs at this stage and these things change all the time of course, so probably the best person to help out is @steelydave - i'll put out the Bat Signal! 😂💡🤩

View attachment 104806

I have mentioned the Tom Scott album (unsure if the quad mix actually exists or not) as well as the Carole King and LSO Tommy quad mixes to Mike Dutton a couple of times over the years in passing as good candidates for D-V - he's never specifically addressed them (positively or negatively) in return so I don't know what his mindset is on them, or if they're available. I'll circle back on them when we speak in the future.

View attachment 104767View attachment 104770View attachment 104771
If it's helpful I have been in the same boat - having ordered early, but not seeing any changes on the Rhino website, nor getting any email notification of shipping. Then out of the blue I received an email notification of a FedEx package being delivered today. Lo and behold it was the Joni Quadio Box! Hoping you get yours soon!

I have mentioned the Tom Scott album (unsure if the quad mix actually exists or not) as well as the Carole King and LSO Tommy quad mixes to Mike Dutton a couple of times over the years in passing as good candidates for D-V - he's never specifically addressed them (positively or negatively) in return so I don't know what his mindset is on them, or if they're available. I'll circle back on them when we speak in the future.
Perhaps with the release of Miles of Aisles interest in Tom Scott & the LA Express will gain new momentum and Carole King's MUSIC would be a wonderful candidate for the QUAD treatment. Doubtful Sony Japan will release either as their only ODE 5.1 release to date has been King's wildly popular TAPESTRY.

And Ode's TOMMY with the LSO has been on quite a few WISH lists for years ...would be a real coup if Michael Dutton could secure the rights!

BTW, Dave any updates on when Dutton will drop their next batch of QUAD/Stereo Pop/Rock SACDs?

Last edited:
Perhaps with the release of Miles of Aisles interest in Tom Scott & the LA Express will gain new momentum and Carole King's MUSIC would be a wonderful candidate for the QUAD treatment. Doubtful Sony Japan will release either as their only ODE Quad release to date has been King's wildly popular TAPESTRY.

And Ode's TOMMY with the LSO has been on quite a few WISH lists for years ...would be a real coup if Michael Dutton could secure the rights!

BTW, Dave any updates on when Dutton will drop their next batch of QUAD/Stereo Pop/Rock SACDs?
fwiw Ralpharoo, that Tapestry 7" SACD was a repackaging of Klingberg's 5.1 mix rather than ye olde Quad 🤷🏻‍♀️

thank you for so doing! 🙏

Back