Jukebox Quad?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obbop

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
During the research era when I huddled in the library's nether regions, perusing a plethora of past periodicals, I found a couple brief mentions of jukeboxes with built-in quad. But, no details.

Lo!!! Some bloke on the 'bay is selling jukebox parts and mentions a "quadraphonic box."

Hmmmmmmm..............

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...gory=13723

AFAIK, quad jb has been produced only by Seeburg and featured a very basic passive phase-shifter. I've see no mention anywhere of a quadjuke with something better that that.
BTW, other than some Jukebox-only releases (usually as LLP), how many quad singles has been pressed? I'm aware of some CBS/Sony in Japan, but nothing else...

Ahh, here's something that has been interesting me for the past several months. My research has disclosed that Seeburg and another company (can't recall at the moment) made matrix quad boxes. I have been collecting the singles. So far, I have the following:
1. Chase - 2 song 45rpm
2. Joe Walsh - 6 song 33.3 rpm
3. Ray Charles Singers - same
4. Steely Dan - same
5. Three Dog Night - same
6. Simon and Garfunkel - same
7. Santana - same.
As you might guess, nos 1, 6, adn 7 are sq and the other are qs. Some of them even came with the slips of paper that bear the song names for installation on the jukebox. These are all US releases, although I know there were some Sony Japanese releases. Not sure if those were actually intended for boxes or were simply eps. The ones I have ctually state "for coin operated players" or similar wording.
Any others out there with jukebox quads?
Marc

About a year ago I saw an ebay listing for a Seeburg quad jukebox. I believe it was out of Kansas City. I can't remember how much it went for, but it would sure have been a great collectible. If I didn't live on the west coast I would have been very tempted to place a bid.
Since that time I've searched for more quad jukeboxes on Ebay, but have never seen another listing. There are often original advertisement flyers, but no actual quad jukes.
The only quad juke record I have is a Joe Walsh recording.

Dug through the clippings I took from old audio magazines I collected....

There is a small snippet mentioning Wurlitzer preparing to deliver quad jukeboxes. No mention of quad type or any details.

Sure would be nifty to have a quad jukebox in the room of rumpus, even if it was just for the heck of it considering it is doubtful it would have a high-end decoder butcha' never know.... maybe those are Vario-Matrix units!!!!

You can always modify a old Juke, place a CD changer inside feeded with dts-compilation-of-your-taste, a dts decoder and a mch power amplifier.
Where i lived til july 2002 i had one (stereo) juke in the house done that way, it used a 12-cd car changer by JVC with a control board. Was a AMI fully closed, don't know the precise year but from the graphics i can suppose manufactured in '71-72.
The only problem is to find out a changer which features a digital out for the dts decoder... one of the few was the Sony 848, but no idea if there's such a control board for sony.
Nifty ideas comes along...

Here's a reply from a guy with some info about quad jukeboxes:

" I didn,t really buy this stuf for the quad
box. Although I have a 1974 Seeburg SQS jukebox, this
jukebox is identified as an SQS on the data plate but
it has no quad equipment in it. I had prevously
purchased a quad box and wireing harness,and am
looking for the 4 external speakers. If it would help
you I have the installation manual and some other
papers,send me your mailing address and Ill send you a
photocopy."

I asked the guy to send the info.... maybe it will be enlightening. If it is I will post it on my quad Web site and place a link here. There is very little info about the old quad jukeboxes so..... every opportunity to grab it is a "must do."

Hopefully I'm not the only bloke still interested i the old stuff.... outside the very highest-end goodies. There's a lot of history about quad that is disappearing as the people from that era die off. If we do not grab it now it may be lost forever!!!!!

Marcsten,
add this on the Quad JB singles:

Billy Paul, Am i black enough for you
(taken from the quad edition of "360 degrees of Billy Paul").

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...egory=2265

I've ran across a O'Jays title months ago, don't remember what.

Thanks Wineopener. I see that auction has ended and the winner was 'cd4guy'. Now what would someone with a name like that want with an sq 7 inch? :lol: I just won a Streisand Italian 7 inch sq disc on ebay. See what that one looks like. It may just be a single, not a juke record. Still...
Keep them coming!
Marc

Marcsten,
since i'm italian, i've checked quickly the Streisand 7" you mentioned (The way we were). I was *very* suprised reading on a italian 7' quad, since even the quad LPs issued in Italy were very very few.*

Other than a casual use of the SQ master instead of the stereo one (very unlikely) this 7' isn't a quad, and isn't a juke too. Italy was one of the few countries that had special 7' for juke box since early '60 until now (even if at present time very few JB 7' are relased). They always came with a title strip. The link below shows what's looks like a italian juke 7': white label (all but RCA, which was dark yellow, and Ri-Fi, which had Motown and Atlantic for a while), different catalog number, "promotional - not for sale" printed somewhere - and sometimes album-only tracks never released as a single on his own. Probably Italy has been the only country were there has been JukeBox-Only (specially compiled) releases on CD (not more than 28-30 items).

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...gory=20813

What you see on the back cover is the advertisement that usually CBS printed on singles releases about the SQ Quadraphonic sound - plenty of these back-covers anywhere on CBS-related singles between 1972 and 1977.
The translation says (i'll go line by line):
SQ
This is the sign that identifies the
CBS QUADRAPHONIC RECORDS
SQ (quadraphonic sound) is the result of the
most advanced researches of the CBS electronic laboratories.
The masterworks of the Classical music
and the biggest popular hits
ON CBS QUADRAPHONIC RECORDS

* What has been published of quad material in Italy is very scarce; the infos i've found about italian quads are all here (all SQ):
- some releases on PDU label (EMI distr.) of german cosmic (tangerine dream and similar) and one of Roberto Caccapaglia (Sonanze), always a kind-of-experimental music
- two album (Pooh and Gigliola Cinquetti) on CBS-CGD
- two album (Riz Ortolani and Nomadi) on EMI
No info on Q8 (there has been some RCA classical and some CBS, all imports from USA) or 7'.

Other than that, some Japanese CD-4 of Nini Rosso, a trumpet player which, while it's a good player, usually it has been *very* hated by young people because a 7' of him was usually used on the Army to indicate the bedtime for the soldiers (don't forget that in Italy army service is still mandatory for every male).

BTW, if anyone else has further infos on italian quads, don't be shy to add it!

Thanks for all the info, although its bad news for me. Looks like I just spent $15 on a single that's not quad, not jukebox, and Streisand to boot. Oh well, live and learn.
Marc

Back