King Crimson in 5.1?!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like all those things. What I don't like is their dire warning about not purchasing insurance and then asking something like $10 to insure one disc to the US. I'm going to wait and see. If amazon's price comes down I'll order it there, otherwise I'll get it from BS.

In the past I ordered everything from BS. However, last time there was a very large difference between BS and amazon on the price of Steven Wilsons solo DVD-A. I ordered it from amazon. I am also waiting this time to see what amazon's price is after the release date.

Yeah, be wise and look around for an acceptable price, because there will be a lot to follow in this series.
BTW. Won't this be released internationally? At least a good thing it's no limited editions stuff (except maybe that box). I hope these will hit the stores as well, like Love did.

(Often we in Europe have to pay big bucks to get DVD-A's shipped from the US, the shipping cost from Burning Shed are a lot more reasonable :), and you can choose to ignore the insurance thing, like I do)

Wow, some people still don't understand the difference between the specifically encoded LFE channel and bass management.

Yeah, be wise and look around for an acceptable price, because there will be a lot to follow in this series.
BTW. Won't this be released internationally? At least a good thing it's no limited editions stuff (except maybe that box). I hope these will hit the stores as well, like Love did.

(Often we in Europe have to pay big bucks to get DVD-A's shipped from the US, the shipping cost from Burning Shed are a lot more reasonable :), and you can choose to ignore the insurance thing, like I do)

Actually after many years I just reintroduced myself to "Red" and I think I will be giving this one a miss. At least it's last on my list.

Actually after many years I just reintroduced myself to "Red" and I think I will be giving this one a miss. At least it's last on my list.

This is exactly why there will not be any box set editions - it allows everyone to get just the discs they want to get.
Plus of course we still don't know where the series is actually going to stop.....

This is exactly why there will not be any box set editions - it allows everyone to get just the discs they want to get.
Plus of course we still don't know where the series is actually going to stop.....

I know from past experience that even though I say I am not going to get "Red", I probably will. I think releasing them one at a time is a good idea from a budget perspective. One every month or two is a good thing.

"Red" is one of those albums I'm buying for the third time. First vinyl, then CD and now in DVD-A. Would have saved a lot of money, had I only been born a couple of decades later... :D Highlights for me are Fallen Angel and Starless. IMO progressive rock at it's best. Great lyrics, incredible tunes, beautiful production. They are two of my all time favourite songs. The rest of the album is less easy listening, mildly spoken. But after all, that's part of the grandeur of King Crimson.

I know from past experience that even though I say I am not going to get "Red", I probably will. I think releasing them one at a time is a good idea from a budget perspective. One every month or two is a good thing.

Vegas taking 2:1 on Guy buying all of these!:D

Somewhere in my vinyl collection I've got a radio program featuring Fripp being interviewed by Alison Steele about Red, and talking about it being King Crimson's last album. I'll have to dig that out now.

Ok, my mistake, it was an interview for the live album USA. Which is the last King Crimson album ever according to the interview.

Last edited:
Formats for Red purchases in order:
1. Atlantic 8 track
2. Atlantic vinly LP
3. Editions EG 1/2 speed mastered vinyl
4. Import Virgin CD (1986)
5. EG/Virgin CD (1989)
6. Editions EG cassette (collecting)
7. 30th Anniv remaster CD

So now a dream-come-true DVD-Audio version mixed by the ever-clueful SW and loaded with never realized extras?

Don't see any problems from here... :banana:

Wow, some people still don't understand the difference between the specifically encoded LFE channel and bass management.

I don't understand why there's specifically encoded LFE content in a purely music mix. Well, actually, I think I do understand, but I think it has more to do with marketing than audio necessity or best practice. I'm trying to recall if there are any spaceship launches/earthquakes/cannons/bomb explosions in KC records...not coming up with any.

My post to this effect back in #259 seems to have been left forlorn and unanswered.

Still very much looking forward to these discs, though.

The LFE encoding is likely the result of the same thinking that puts it in many movie mixes--to rock your boat, as it were, to give the film an extra kick and thunder, even if the story nor anything else about it really needs that sort of thing. To do it with music *might* make sense with something like Metallica's black album, or KOYAANISQATSI, but for most music it really doesn't make any sense. One thing if the artist wants it, but most likely when LFE encoding is there, just a mixer's decision, and one most of us could easily live without.

ED :)

The LFE encoding is likely the result of the same thinking that puts it in many movie mixes--to rock your boat, as it were, to give the film an extra kick and thunder, even if the story nor anything else about it really needs that sort of thing. To do it with music *might* make sense with something like Metallica's black album, or KOYAANISQATSI, but for most music it really doesn't make any sense. One thing if the artist wants it, but most likely when LFE encoding is there, just a mixer's decision, and one most of us could easily live without.

ED :)

If it's distinct bass content from what's in the other channels, fine, whatever. It's still not necessary to have done -- on Metallica's Black Album either -- but it won't 'mess' with bass in/from other channels, and will make the LFE indicator on the AVR light up real nice-like, and consumers like that .

But if it duplicates bass content in other channels, no, possibly not so fine, for those of us using bass redirection for 'SMALL' loudspeakers to sub....i.e., most HT setups. Then you're doubling some the bass content before it's sent to the sub.

I have a disc or two (e.g., Tribute to Weather Report) where apparently all of the bass from front L/R (possibly C/SL/SR too) is also encoded in the LFE. In my bass-redirected system it sounds like an elephant stampede.

One of the advantages of having musical content going to the LFE is that the listener will have more flexibility in fine tuning the sound for the room or for personal preferences.

For example: If the kick drum is in the LFE then I could have the option of lowering the LFE output and at the same time turning up the bass to bring out the bass guitar with being overwhelmed with “thump”.

I would think that readers of this forum would appreciate having more options for “remixing” their sound

Back