King Crimson in 5.1?!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"ALL these are from multitracks."

Great !
so there exists a future possibilty that the entire Providence show could be released in 5.1. ( I know it depends on cost and demand)

What about the the live tracks on S&BB ? (and the complete show from November 23rd 1973 concert at the Concertgebouw, Amsterdam.)
* my first surrond sound receiver had a surrond sound option of the Concertgebouw Hall.

and are there multi tracks form Asbury Park, NJ, June 28th, 1974?

TGD definitely exists as multitracks.
The other possibilities are USA or Earthbound.
It is highly likely at least one of the live albums will be done - the series is not going to stop after the first 10 studio albums.

USA? OMG! USA! OMG! USA? OMG! USA! OMG! USA? OMG! USA! OMG! USA? OMG! USA! OMG! USA? OMG! USA! OMG!

The best ever version of Exiles is on USA IMHO..... and the rest of the material is not shabby at all. Plus I have it memorized from 35 years of playback!

I'd love to see several live sets done in 5.1, especially the 73/74 era stuff...what a great live band that was...and the 95/96 dbl trio too.

I always though that Earthbound was recorded straight to a cassette tape, hence the sound quality and original budget price?

I always though that Earthbound was recorded straight to a cassette tape, hence the sound quality and original budget price?

According to the notes on the lp, "The recordings were captured live on an ampex stereo cassette fed from a Kelsey Morris custom built mixer..."

It would be great if a better tape source is available for this album.

USA is not definite - but a possibility. There is no better source either.
RED is being delivered on Monday for replication.
Court has some adjustments needed, and will be delivered by end of month, followed by Lizard.
The tracklisting for the court Box Set is awesome.....will post details when I am allowed, and I will ask today what I can & cannot say.

Lizard order in !, waiting on the price of '..Court' many disc box, looks like something special I mean how many copies of 'In the Court' can a man have ?

Okay - I have permission to post detailed tracklistings for all 3 of the titles that will be released this year.
There will be no new ones after October until next year, although we will of course be continuing authoring & the 5.1 mastering has nigh on been done on 6 titles:
(The additional ones so far are Beat, Discipline & Larks tongues in Aspic).
As to how many editions of COURT do you need? Depends on what you want. With (so far) the exception of Court, which will also be available as a 2CD edition, all will be CD/DVDA.

First up, Here's the details for RED:

CD Content

1)Red
2)Fallen Angel
3)One More Red Nightmare
4)Providence
5)Starless (1 –5 original album 2004 remaster)
6)Red (Trio version – previously unreleased)
7)Fallen Angel (Trio version, instrumental – previously unreleased)
8)Providence (Full version taken from ‘The Great Deceiver’)

Audio mastered by Simon Heyworth, assisted by Joe Gilder at Super Audio Mastering, Devon

DVD-A Content

PART I

1)Red
2)Fallen Angel
3)One More Red Nightmare
4)Providence
5)Starless
6)Fallen Angel (Trio version, instrumental)
7)Providence (Full version)
8)A Voyage to the Centre of the Cosmos

5.1 Surround Sound mixes available in DTS 5.1 (playable in all DVD players/
DVD-Rom drives etc. with a compatible speaker setup) & MLP Lossless Audio (DVD-A players only).

PART II

24/48 High Resolution Stereo mixes of full CD audio content + A Voyage to the Centre of the Cosmos (playable in all DVD players/DVD-Rom drives etc.) & 24/96 High Resolution Stereo mixes (DVD-A players only).

All 5.1 and previously unreleased stereo tracks mixed & produced by Steven Wilson,
Executive producer: Robert Fripp © 2009 Robert Fripp

DVD-A mastered & assembled by Neil Wilkes at Opus Productions, London

PART III

Video Footage:

1)Larks’ Tongues in Aspic II
2)Lament
3)The Night Watch
4)Starless

Originally broadcast by ORTF (France), march 22nd 1974,
issued under exclusive license from INA © INA

Now for COURT:

CD Content

1)21st Century Schizoid Man
2)I Talk to the Wind
3)Epitaph
4)Moonchild
5)The Court of the Crimson King (1 –5 2009 New Stereo album mix)
The 2009 remix from the original multitrack master tapes

6)Moonchild (full version)
As Robert chose to feature the edit of Moonchild in the album running order,
the full version is included here
7)I Talk to the Wind (Duo version) An alternate take featuring just Robert & Ian
8)I Talk to the Wind (Alternate mix) An alternate take featuring different solos
9)Epitaph (Backing track)
10) Wind session
Extracts from the session that produced the distinctive intro to 21st Century Schizoid Man
1 – 6 mixed & produced by Robert Fripp & Steven Wilson,
7 - 10 mixed & produced by Steven Wilson, Executive Producer; Robert Fripp.

Audio mastered by Simon Heyworth, assisted by Joe Gilder at Super Audio Mastering, Devon

DVD-A Content

PART I

2)I Talk to the Wind
3)Epitaph
4)Moonchild
5)The Court of the Crimson King

DVD-Rom drives etc. with a compatible speaker setup) & MLP Lossless Audio (DVD-A players only).

All 5.1 tracks mixed & produced by Steven Wilson, Executive producer: Robert Fripp

PART II

24/48 High Resolution Stereo mixes of full CD audio content (playable in all DVD players/DVD-Rom drives etc.) & 24/96 High Resolution Stereo mixes (DVD-A players only).

PART III

The Alternate Album: In the Court of the Crimson King

Alternate takes mixed for the first time from the original studio recordings

1)21st Century Schizoid Man (Trio version – instrumental)
2)I Talk to the Wind (Studio run through)
3)Epitaph (Alternate Version)
4)Moonchild (Take 1)
5)The Court of the Crimson King (Take 3)

Mixed & produced by Steven Wilson, Executive producer: Robert Fripp

24/48 High Resolution Stereo (playable in all DVD players/DVD-Rom drives etc.) & 24/96 High Resolution Stereo (DVD-A players only).

PART IV

Original album mix, 2004 remaster

2)I Talk to the Wind
3)Epitaph
4)Moonchild

24/48 High Resolution Stereo (playable in all DVD players/DVD-Rom drives etc.) & 24/96 High Resolution Stereo (DVD-A players only).

PART V

Video Content

1)21st Century Schizoid Man – edit, film from Hyde Park concert July 5th 1969 available for the first time with original audio from the actual performance.

All material previously unreleased or previously unreleased in these versions except
DVD content Part IV, previously released in standard 16 bit resolution as CD DGM0501 – In the Court of the Crimson King

All material © 2009 Robert Fripp

DGM5009 – King Crimson – In the Court of the Crimson King,
40th Anniversary 2CD Edition

CD 1

2)I Talk to the Wind
3)Epitaph
4)Moonchild
5)The Court of the Crimson King (1 –5 2009 New Stereo album mix)
The 2009 remix from the original multitrack master tapes

6)Moonchild (full version)
As Robert chose to feature the edit of Moonchild in the album running order,
the full version is included here
7)I Talk to the Wind (Duo version) An alternate take featuring just Robert & Ian
8)I Talk to the Wind (Alternate mix) An alternate take featuring different solos
9)Epitaph (Backing track)
10) Wind session
Extracts from the session that produced the distinctive intro to 21st Century Schizoid Man
1 – 6 mixed & produced by Robert Fripp & Steven Wilson,
7 - 10 mixed & produced by Steven Wilson, Executive Producer; Robert Fripp.

CD 2

2)I Talk to the Wind
3)Epitaph
4)Moonchild
5)The Court of the Crimson King 1 – 5 Original album mix, 2004 Remaster
6) 21st Century Schizoid Man Morgan studios recording, instrumental
7)I Talk to the Wind Recently discovered track from the first BBC session, audio restored from bootleg source
8) 21st Century Schizoid Man A BBC transcription disc of this track was found some time after the original release of the Epitaph album providing
much-improved sound quality
9)The Court of the Crimson King (Part 1)
10) The Court of the Crimson King (Part 2) De-clicked vinyl transfer of the original UK Island Records mono single version of the song as split across two sides of 7" vinyl

CD1 & 2 material © 2009 Robert Fripp, except CD2 7 & 8 © BBC Worldwide 2009

KCCBX1 – King Crimson – In the Court of the Crimson King,
40th Anniversary – Limited Edition 5CD & 1 DVD-A Boxed Set

The Boxed set features all of the material on the 2CD set & all material on the
DVD-A as listed above in a 12” x 12” size box including King Crimson memorabilia, a full size 24 page booklet with expanded sleevenotes & photos + additional CD content as listed below:

CD3

The Alternate Album: In the Court of the Crimson King

1) 21st Century Schizoid Man (Trio version – instrumental)
2)I Talk to the Wind (Studio run through)
3)Epitaph (Alternate Version)
4)Moonchild (Take 1)
5)The Court of the Crimson King (Take 3)

Alternate takes mixed for the first time from the original studio recordings

6)21st Century Schizoid Man
7)I Talk to the Wind
8)Epitaph
9)Moonchild
10)The Court of the Crimson King

De-clicked vinyl transfer of the original stereo first Island Records issued pink label UK pressing run. Sourced from two vinyl LPs - one of which is Robert Fripp's personal archive copy.

CD 4

1)21st Century Schizoid Man, 2) The Court of the Crimson King,
3) Get Thy Bearings, 4) Epitaph, 5) Mantra, 6) Travel Weary Capricorn, 7) Mars

Tracks 1 - 7 restored bootleg, recorded Live at Hyde Park, London, July 5th 1969

8)The Court of the Crimson King, 9) A Man A City, 10) Epitaph,
11) 21st Century Schizoid Man

Tracks 8 - 11 restored bootleg, recorded Live at Fillmore East, New York, November 1969

CD 5
1) 21st Century Schizoid Man
2)I Talk to the Wind
3)Epitaph
4)Moonchild
Mono album mix used for radio promotion only in the USA

6)The Court of the Crimson King
Edited, mono single mix used for radio promotion only in the USA. De-clicked from original vinyl source copies

Finally - Here's the details for LIZARD:

CD Content

1)Cirkus
2)Indoor Games
3)Happy Family
4)Lady of the Dancing Water
5)Lizard (1 –5 2009 Stereo remix)
6)Lady of the Dancing Water (Alternate mix)
7)Bolero (Remix taken from ‘Frame by Frame’)
8)Cirkus (Studio run through with guide vocal from original sessions)

1 – 5 mixed & produced by Robert Fripp & Steven Wilson, 6 mixed & produced by Steven Wilson.

DVD-A Content

PART I

1)Cirkus
2)Indoor Games
3)Happy Family
5)Lizard

All 5.1 tracks mixed & produced by Steven Wilson, Executive producer: Robert Fripp

PART II

24/48 High Resolution Stereo mixes of full CD audio content (playable in all DVD players/DVD-Rom drives etc.) & 24/96 High Resolution Stereo mixes (DVD-A players only).

PART III

Original album mix, 2004Remaster

1)Cirkus
2)Indoor Games
3)Happy Family
5)Lizard

Now - get yer credit cards out & buy, buy, buy!!!!

Neil;

Thank you very much for this very detailed description of the KC releases!

From the looks of it, the relationship with KC management is quite good, can't put my finger on it, but I think that they have listened to some of your suggestions...

:phones

Cheers

Neil;

Thank you very much for this very detailed description of the KC releases!

From the looks of it, the relationship with KC management is quite good, can't put my finger on it, but I think that they have listened to some of your suggestions...

:phones

Cheers

You're welcome.
I don't really think I had much to do with the content though. That was all down to Steven & Robert for the mixing and deciding to go with the additional, previously unreleased content.
Simon Heyworth has been a total star with the stereo archives as well as providing me with some invaluable advice too.
The management is very "hands off" from my perspective too (I am left to get on with it, the same as for PT) and the label (DGM) could not be more helpful & into the project. It is a true pleasure to be involved in this project, as everybody just wants these releases to be as good as we can possibly make them and all are working towards that aim.

Fans will not be disappointed, I assure you - and I reckon there will be a lot of new KC fans as a direct result of this series.
Plus of course there is the flip side. I wonder how many KC fans will do the sums in their heads, work out how much the complete series will run to & think to themselves "I must make sure I have a High Resolution player" closely followed by "I wonder what else is out there in surround, as this is f***ing amazing and why did nobody tell me about this before".

It can only be good news for 5.1 music, whatever way we look at it.

I notice in the Classic rock magazine interview with Steven Wilson to promote the Incident that he mentions talking to Alex Liefson about mixing Rush to surround.
I guess if the KC albums sell well that may become a fully fledged project.

You're welcome.

Plus of course there is the flip side. I wonder how many KC fans will do the sums in their heads, work out how much the complete series will run to & think to themselves "I must make sure I have a High Resolution player" closely followed by "I wonder what else is out there in surround, as this is f***ing amazing and why did nobody tell me about this before".

It can only be good news for 5.1 music, whatever way we look at it.

this is the thing that used to crack me up when all the Genesis SACD were coming out. Everybody complained about how expensive players were and how they didn't want to buy a new player. C'mon, I just picked up a Denon DCD-1930 (I think) for 79 bucks from J and R. A nice player. I have two Pionner elite dv-79i that I picked up for 250 bucks each, just wanted to have a spare. So the cost of the player is not significant in view of the cost of the discs. You could certainly get a nice universal player for less than the cost of one of the Genesis box sets.

From the Steve Wilson interview "The debut album In the Court of the Crimson King also benefited from us being able to go back to the original multitrack slave reels – in those days the band were using 8 track recording, and so every time the 8 channels were filled up (say with drums, bass and guitars) it was necessary to bounce it down to a one or two tracks of a second tape in order to keep overdubbing the multiple mellotrons, or vocals. Sometimes this would happen 2 or 3 times before a track was ready to mix, so the instruments recorded first had by then become second or third generation copies, with all the problems that brings (tape hiss, reduced frequency range...etc..). We were able to go back to the very first session tracking tapes and synchronise them with the overdub reels, so for the first time in the new mixes of the In the Court every instrument heard is first generation."

I have always thought that Court just didn't sound all that good and I think this is one of the reasons why. I can't wait!

I guess I will have to wait for "Islands" but I am very happy that Lizard is one of the first ones out.

Doesn't look like I will spring for the deluxe box set of Court, the regular release should really do it for me. October is not that far away!

Just pre-ordered all three from Burning Shed. With the regular cd/dvda of ITCOTCK the total to the usa was about $65. Sure can't complain about that for an international order. I just hope I like the music!

:eek: Wow. That's pretty much all I can say right now.

I'll probably go with the big'un for Court. And Lizard... maybe I'll start to like it. :)

I'm surprised that those 2004 (remasters) will be in 24/96 on the DVD-A. That should mean 5 years ago the remastering was done in (at least) 24/96 and kept that way, which is great :smokin. (I don't think Neil would make a simple upsampling which has no use).

I notice in the Classic rock magazine interview with Steven Wilson to promote the Incident that he mentions talking to Alex Liefson about mixing Rush to surround.
I guess if the KC albums sell well that may become a fully fledged project.

I am super happy for KC fan's that the surrounds are finally going to be coming out but this little teaser put in here really got my attention. I sure hope there is more to this as would love to hear the classic Rush albums done in surround and if Steve Wilson was at the controls would make me even happier as I'm sure he would do an incredible job.

peter

I am super happy for KC fan's that the surrounds are finally going to be coming out but this little teaser put in here really got my attention. I sure hope there is more to this as would love to hear the classic Rush albums done in surround and if Steve Wilson was at the controls would make me even happier as I'm sure he would do an incredible job.

peter

That is great news indeed. Maybe SW can also do some work on the Floyd cataloque. But I assume he has a very scheduled agenda already.

Back