King Crimson in 5.1?!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, there hasn't been much in either SACD or DVD-A to get excited about for a while. I am still trying to figure out if the Genesis stuff sounds good or has been brickwalled to death, leaning towards the latter. the fact that the Beatles catalog is not coming out in a hi-rez format was disappointing. I get plenty of hi rez audience (and some soundboard) recordings from archive.org and some of them are pretty darn nice.

I look at these box sets and special editions and of course think they are great and the extra material worth it but I do have to wonder how much this slows down the process. surround is nice but I have been listening to a lot of 2 channel hi rez lately and enjoy that as well. the whole SACD vs. DVD-A thing could have been avoided if they just took the stereo masters converted them at 24/96 and put them onto a DVD that would play back on just about any DVD-player out there. Now, of course the main reason this wasn't done was because these digital files could be copied.

And, no offense but I am a little tired of teasers and "coming soon" etc. etc.. I waited a long time for Lamb Lies Down on Broadway in surround and then it was not quite the epiphany that I was hoping for.

So, looking forward to the King Crimson releases with the understanding that it will be at least a year, maybe more before they are all out. I am not going to get my panties all in a knot though. I do have enough SACD and DVD-A discs to keep me busy. Just listened to the Stones "satanic majesties request" on SACD last night, just a wonderful stereo transfer, too bad the second set of remasters aren't SACD.

anyway, back to Sunday!

So... while waiting for the first three to arrive, how 'bout speculating over the next ones? :D

Isn't it a little strange that there are no comments at DGM nor SWHQ about the upcoming mixes?
Are they too busy with other projects :eek:

The only thing that was said is that these are all for 2009, to be continued in 2010.

To quote Neil Wilkes (from the end of February '09):
"We can also add the following King Crimson titles: ITCOTCK, In the Wake of Poseidon, Islands, Larks Tongues in Aspic, Starless & Bible Black, Discipline, Beat, Three of a Perfect Pair"
Later on he added that THRAK is on his list as well... and then the proverbial "I don't know where this is going to stop, and neither does anyone else right now" - see post #397 in this thread.

Let me try to clear things up here, then as it seems I might have caused confusion.
The first 10 studio albums are being mixed into 5.1 by Steven. This goes up to & Including "3 of a Perfect Pair".
Thrak & Power To Believe are being done by a different mixer (I cannot remember who, or even if I have asked yet).
There will be at LEAST one live album - USA - with a 5.1 & both stereo versions. TGD is a definite possibility too.
Earthbound is a cassette source, so won't happen in 5.1.
Nobody knows if Construktion is going to happen or what else is coming down the line.
The 2009 thing is because a title needs to be in the racks by the end of October for what seemed at the time like a very good reason even though for the life of me I cannot remember what it was at this point. Memory loss is a problem in the elderly, I am told ;)

All information will be printed here as fast as I get it. Rest assured on that score, at least!

I was looking at a few US vendors (Amazon, CD Universe, etc) but their descriptions are so lacking that I wasn't sure what versions I would end up with. I ended up placing my first order with Burning Shed (for all 3 releases). Hopefully it will be a good experience.

Thrak is being mixed in 5.1 by Jakko Jakszyk. I'd be curious to know why he was chosen as I am not aware of much (if any) experience he has in this area. He's a talented guy though and I'm looking forward to hearing how his work compares with Steven's.

Thrak is being mixed in 5.1 by Jakko Jakszyk. I'd be curious to know why he was chosen as I am not aware of much (if any) experience he has in this area. He's a talented guy though and I'm looking forward to hearing how his work compares with Steven's.

I'm guessing Steven is touring and can't do it in time for deadlines? Interesting.

Did a little wikipedia-ing and Jakko's been a member of a KC tribute band. I suppose he's not such a bad choice to do a 5.1 mix. Tribute bands usually do a good job of knowing the ins and outs of the music of the artists they cover.

Did a little wikipedia-ing and Jakko's been a member of a KC tribute band. I suppose he's not such a bad choice to do a 5.1 mix. Tribute bands usually do a good job of knowing the ins and outs of the music of the artists they cover.

He's definitely got a pretty good resume, and lots of connections with various member of Porcupine Tree in his various projects.

I've always been very fond of the short-lived band "The Lodge" that he was part of with the Blegvad brothers and Anton Fier...excellent album that one.

Just to shine more light on "21st Century Schizoid Band", to show it's more directly connected with members of the actual (early) King Crimson, than just a cover band. (From Wikipedia):

21st Century Schizoid Band are a King Crimson alumnus group formed in 2002.

The name derives from the famous song "21st Century Schizoid Man" from the first King Crimson album, In the Court of the Crimson King. The initial band featured Mel Collins on saxophones, flute and keyboards, Michael Giles on drums, Peter Giles on bass, Ian McDonald on saxophones, flute and keyboards, and joined by 'new guy' (and Michael Giles' son-in-law) Jakko Jakszyk on guitar and vocals.

The band has played live with sets concentrating on compositions from King Crimson's first four albums and other works from the band members' back catalogues. They have released three albums, mostly of live work, but including some new compositions. Ian Wallace, another former Crimson member, replaced Mike Giles in 2003, just before the third album. Wallace died in February 2007.

The band has been inactive since 2007. They have had difficulty making touring financially sustainable and Jakszyk is considering leaving.[1] Also, no news has come about a possible replacement for Ian Wallace.

P.S. Their "Live in Japan" DVD (oop) has a surround soundtrack, tho I think it's just DD 5.1.

Did a little wikipedia-ing and Jakko's been a member of a KC tribute band. .
Really?:D

Kc___The_Sunshine_Band.jpg

LOL!!
I was wondering if someone would make a connection!!
Although, I think it'd be fun to hear some 5.1 remixes of KC & the Sunshine band...

from my order at DGM
Qty Product Status Unit Price Ext Price
1 King Crimson - Red - 40th Anniversary Series (DVD-A & CD) Shipped (9/21/2009) $22.99 $22.99

Back