King Crimson in 5.1?!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is only if I cared to debate you. Your "reasons" are lame, and I realize that you are basing them solely on European factors ... the rest of the world makes no difference to you. I understand that. Nothing to debate. You are right, and I am wrong. Goodbye.

So, no valid arguments for HDCD, then.

DVD-A is also wonderful for stereo. I find myself using surround for classical recordings where you are trying to recreate an acoustical space. Surround mixes can be fun for a listen or two but I find myself reverting back to the stereo mixes, which are how the artist originally intended the music to be presented.

I have a lot of live recordings that are 24/96 and they truly sound superior to red book CD.

Not that I want to get into a debate about that either, just my personal preference. Some people hear it, feel that way, others do not.

Why would I debate someone who has such little knowledge? Please, just go away. You do not interest me.

:D You are actually quite interesting, in the way you combine absolutely no arguments with lame ad hominem attacks. Keep it up!

And I will not go away. You were the one who said "Nothing to debate. ... Goodbye.", remember? Don't say that unless you really mean it. :cool:

I guess nothing better to do than wait for these releases to come out. Got my pre-orders in and am extra psyched to get ITCOTCK since I was so clueless as to what was being released.

I just might listen to a surround mix or two, just for the heck of it.

And then the waiting starts for Lark's Tongues, that one just might make my head explode!

Why would I debate someone who has such little knowledge? Please, just go away. You do not interest me.

:D You are actually quite interesting, in the way you combine absolutely no arguments with lame ad hominem attacks. Keep it up!

And I will not go away. You were the one who said "Nothing to debate. ... Goodbye.", remember? Don't say that unless you really mean it. :cool:

Cmon guys, try and play nice.

I'm not a moderator, but one suggestion would be to state opinions instead of facts; you can't really attack an opinion.

EG, say "I think HDCD is a stupid waste of a format, because . . . "; not "HDCD is a waste of a format . . . "

Back on topic

It should be noted that King Crimson - Red CD/DVD-A release has infiltrated the Collector's Choice CD catalog that arrived today. They have it priced at $21.99, do mention DVD-A but not 5.1 surround. Instead they mention video from 1974 French TV!

Well, I am a kinda lookin' forward to that French TV thing, should be good, in my opinion....
I am also looking forward to the surround mix though I must again express my opinion that Red is the least interesting of the core early albums (well, Wake of Poseidon is in a tie) but since I got a package deal from my pals at Amazon.com I will pick it up and think "Darn, this when they could have released Islands!!"

I think you need to be a little bit careful when ordering because I have not seen totally accurate descriptions on the web sites I have checked out, not Amazon for sure. I think the safest bet is to check the release date.

I just posted scans of the slipcase in the HiRez Poll section. All of your answers are there.

I just posted scans of the slipcase in the HiRez Poll section. All of your answers are there.

the scan image is Pavlov's Bell and I am salivating and cannot wait for Oct 5... cannot wait... :mad:@: ...cannot wait....

Great feedback. Thanks.

New music (for me); 5.1; DVD-A; SW mix - it just feels like it could all fall into place.

If you like SW and Porcupine Tree, fasten your seatbelt! This will be even funner.

I'm not a moderator, but one suggestion would be to state opinions instead of facts; you can't really attack an opinion.

EG, say "I think HDCD is a stupid waste of a format, because . . . "; not "HDCD is a waste of a format . . . "

How about "HDCD is imo the most annoying and unnecessary format we've had."?

For those new to Internet Forums: "imo" stands for "in my opinion".

How about "HDCD is imo the most annoying and unnecessary format we've had."?

For those new to Internet Forums: "imo" stands for "in my opinion".

IMO, how about you guys start a thread about HDCD and scream about it until your balls ache.

Thanks.

Yeah, I suggested that the discussion be taken in the old thread, but... I am just defending myself when I feel I am attacked. No more OT, I promise. :)

Well, I am a kinda lookin' forward to that French TV thing, should be good, in my opinion....
I am also looking forward to the surround mix though I must again express my opinion that Red is the least interesting of the core early albums (well, Wake of Poseidon is in a tie) but since I got a package deal from my pals at Amazon.com I will pick it up and think "Darn, this when they could have released Islands!!"

I think you need to be a little bit careful when ordering because I have not seen totally accurate descriptions on the web sites I have checked out, not Amazon for sure. I think the safest bet is to check the release date.

Hi Simon.
The best news right now is that when the digibeta tapes arrived for the french footage, it turned out to have 2 stereo streams on it, both at 24-bit resolution. We were expecting it all to be at broadcast level (PP4) but were happily surprised to discover that in addition to the broadcast stream there was a full scale version as well. It's in 2-channel, but is essentially dual mono as the "separation" is minimal at best, but the sound quality is excellent - far, far better than we dared hope at first given the age of the show.
As far as resolution details go, thew whole series will be done in the same manner:
24/48 5.1 MLP Lossless
24/48 DTS 5.1 (encoded with the latest DTS-HD MAS system) (Video & Audio Players)
24/96 MLP Lossless Stereo
24/48 LPCM Stereo (Video & Audio Players)
Basically, they are designed so that every stream on the disc is accessible from Audio players without resetting to Video mode. We did this for spec compliance (although to be honest the specs are vague here, and only say that all imported VTS titles shall be pointed from the Audio Manager. This means I have to assign a group to them, and video tracks provided for all TT_PTT in the Video_TS).
As long as they are there, then they may as well be selectable too. This gives the disc definite value for demo purposes as well as sheer pleasure.
:smokin

!!!!!!

sorry, I am little confused.. 24 bit audio from like 1973? (sorry, I don't have the exact year) I am not quite sure I understand, no digital audio in 1973 so how did it come in that format? It would have been TV audio so maybe the specs are different. Still, sounds like way above average sound quality from a TV broadcast. Can't wait! As for the resolution I am looking forward to both the 24/96 stereo and 24/48 surround. the information on the websites that these are offered for sale on is spotty at best so this forum has been totally appreciated for accurate information.

thanks!

though I must again express my opinion that Red is the least interesting of the core early albums (well, Wake of Poseidon is in a tie)

All the albums are "interesting" to some degree, what looms larger for me is love of the specific material and thus repeat play potential. If I hazarded a guess on listenings to the first eight albums, it would run like this:

Court = 1000
Poseidon = 1000
Lizard = 25
Islands = 200
LTIA = 750
SABB = 750
Red = 1000
USA = 1000

And I'm a difficult listening kind of guy. :mad:@:

Back