King Crimson in 5.1?!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O.K, this is interesting then. On a scale of 1:1000, of course just my opinion.

court= 500
Poseidon= 50
lizard=673
Islands=777
LTIA=1,000
SABB=850
red=100
usa=20

there you go!

Universal players are fine for what they are, but if you want to appreciate fine CD and HDCD playback, a DVD player won't get there. I have a Denon DVD-5900 Universal player, but my more modestly-priced Pioneer PD-D6-J SACD/CD player sounds better. I don't use a receiver, so I can't comment on that side of it; I have always used a dedicated Theta HDCD DAC.

HDCD in 2009 is a pointless format; in an age of 24-bit transfers and high-quality noise-shaped dither to 16 bit, there is simply no need to present a CD in HDCD format. Nor are the KC masters -- or any analog masters -- a challenge to a 16 bit format. They simply don't have the dynamic range to require more than that. The 24 bits of resolution on the DVD-A delivery format is far more than sufficient, and make the HDCD format obsolete by any conceivable objective measure.

Aside from which, on the KC remasters that did use HDCD, several of them don't employ the options that would actually make the HDCD difference audible -- e.g. Peak Extension.

OK, here goes:

1) An HDCD compatible player is needed, and they are quite hard to find (if you want one for all).
2) When played on a non HDCD compatible player, it is worse than red book CD.
3) When coding in HDCD, the peak extension is often not used.
4) Here is another discussion about this: When is hi-res overkill?

Now, are there any valid arguments for HDCD?

PS It might be a good idea to continue the discussion in the aforementioned thread.

HDCD was arguably an upgrade back when Keith Johnson's ADC as considered state of the art. One might argue that even back then, the only audible differences were coming from the higher-quality mastering than HDCD per se. Then there are the optional tweaks the ME could apply to an HDCD disc -- dynamic filter switching, peak extension. The latter if by far the most likely to make an audible difference *compared to the HDCD played without decoding*. And then there was the licensing requirement (for hardware HDCD decoders at least) that such devices reduce the output level of regular CDs, so they wouldn't sound better than HDCDs.

All of which made it hard to really evaluate what value HDCD itself ever had, from the consumer end.

!!!!!!

sorry, I am little confused.. 24 bit audio from like 1973? (sorry, I don't have the exact year) I am not quite sure I understand, no digital audio in 1973 so how did it come in that format? It would have been TV audio so maybe the specs are different. Still, sounds like way above average sound quality from a TV broadcast. Can't wait! As for the resolution I am looking forward to both the 24/96 stereo and 24/48 surround. the information on the websites that these are offered for sale on is spotty at best so this forum has been totally appreciated for accurate information.

thanks!

We can presume '24-bit' means the digital transfer from the original (apparently stereo! now THAT is interesting) analog source was at 24bits. The original recording itself is extremely unlikely to have a dynamic range that is '24 bits' wide -- that would mean sound that ranges from from 0dB to 144dB!

What's going on in the UK with the constant postal strikes??? Here's hoping the packages will get delivered before the leaves fall!

Has anyone who ordered their copy of Red from DGM received any updates? Awhile back they said my copy was going to be shipped on 9/29 and my order status says "Shipped" but I'm doubting this is true.

I'm in the U.S. Just got this note from Amazon today:

We're writing about the order you placed on September 22 2009 (Order# XXXX). Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

King Crimson "Red"
Estimated arrival date: October 23 2009 - October 27 2009

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this delay.

HDCD in 2009 is a pointless format; in an age of 24-bit transfers and high-quality noise-shaped dither to 16 bit, there is simply no need to present a CD in HDCD format. Nor are the KC masters -- or any analog masters -- a challenge to a 16 bit format. They simply don't have the dynamic range to require more than that. The 24 bits of resolution on the DVD-A delivery format is far more than sufficient, and make the HDCD format obsolete by any conceivable objective measure.

sorry, have to strongly disagree here I think. there is more to 24 bit than just dynamic range. I find things like better imaging, smoother midrange, better pitch definition in the bass, subtle background cues to be more revealed. I think digital signal to noise is much more important than in analogue.

Oh I don't know, maybe I am not disagreeing with you so much. Are you saying there is no point for 24 bit because the dithering to 16 bit is so good? maybe I am not following you.

I will say that 24 bit is to me audibly superior to 16 bit but that 16 bit has gotten to be pretty good lately. it is the little things that count.

Back