King Crimson in 5.1?!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Timbre4,

I'm with you on Heroine and Ghosts. I would love to hear SouthHall The Life Auction in surround. You can add Grave New World to the list also.

I beleive I saw Strawbs and Crimson together at the Santa Monica Civic.They opened with the title song from Grave New World. I know at the Shrine you stand and I remember being seated so I think they played at the civic. I saw Strawbs twice on consecutive tours. I will ask one of my friends who I went with if he remembers.
Great memory you have of them.....

Still waiting for mine to ship from Overstock.com:mad:
What does the trio version of "Red" sound like? seems it was pretty much just a trio version to begin with, with some cello (?) in the middle. Anybody ever figure out if that is indeed a cello in there or is it mellotron?

Rick

STILL waiting on Red pkg, maybe tomorrow. The comments so far get better and better!

Shrine Auditorium is a steeply designed ornate concert hall and most certainly has seats in plush velvet and chandeliers. According to the gigs list (I have the rare Virgin YPG on Japanese CDs but also verified on KC website) they did play in Los Angeles area 3 times in 1973; June 12th = Midnight Special NBC Burbank, June 17th = Long Beach and the Santa Monica Civic Oct 15th. Can't find opening act info....

with some cello (?) in the middle. Anybody ever figure out if that is indeed a cello in there or is it mellotron?
Rick

I have tended to think it's a cello because of the articulation of the notes and response time. (and Cello in the credits) A mellotron is a lovely dirty machine with it's own merits. Let me try something....

Well what do you know, it does sound like like the lower part of cello tape sets I acquired as full WAV performances recently. When some of these are played over Red it seems possible after all...:mad:@:

My copy of Red arrived today - it was shipped on Oct 1 but for whatever reason I just didn't get the "shipped" email.

So far I have only watched the video content, which was very good - great to see any footage of this lineup...Bruford is amazing on Starless.

The audio is unfortunately going to have to wait a few days. The wife is home with a bad case of the flu and I don't want to disturb her recovery....when Red goes in the player I am gonna crank it up but good!

Just a reminder folks, this thread is in the "Rumors" section.

Once you get your discs and want to let everyone know what you think, please make that post in the HiRez poll section created for each release:

RED

ITCOTCK

It will make it easier for future members to find info on these releases if it's all in one place.

Thanks!

Whooo...

Australia Post delivered my copy of 'Red' (in Sydney) by registered mail and courier early today (7th Oct) from Burning Shed.

Hopefully this means that I wont have to wait too long for it to arrive at my doorstep in Melbourne!

I have never heard any King Crimson music before but I have heard very good things from some of my friends. I certainly don't have any great stories like many of you seem to have of seeing them live during the mid 70's since by that stage my parents had not yet met! I have been intentionally holding off on getting any of their albums in hopes they would be re-released like they are being now. Looks like my waiting has paid off.

I look forward to turning it up loud, opening the doors and windows, and enjoying this music with some mates and drinks during another great Australian summer! :sun

Timbre4 you are right, it was at the Shrine auditorium that I saw Strawbs and Crimson. I was confusing the Hollywood Palladium, where you certainly stand, with the Shrine. I went to concerts at both places back then. You know it was fun when you have trouble remembering ...... Hope you get your copy of Red soon!

Postman brought "Red" yesterday but I wasn't at home to sign for it. Fortunatelly my work shift starts later today. So I had time to pop by mail office and rush back home for a first listen-through. First out of many, many to come that is. How fortunate we are to live this incredible moment!

Considering the dates, we should start receiving shipping notes for ItCotCK, no? Jeez, now I realize I'm a KC junkie, haha... :D

Actually there is no credit for cello on the original LP.

Rick

Yup, posted! Not sure if all versions are being sent now or not, here's what I got.

The following items have been sent:

1 x King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King 40th Anniversary Editions (preorder) (cd-dvda)

Me too:

The following items have been sent:

1 x King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King 40th Anniversary Editions (preorder) (cd-dvda)

The following items will be sent separately:

1 x King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King 40th Anniversary Editions (preorder) (5cd-1dvda)

Considering the dates, we should start receiving shipping notes for ItCotCK, no? Jeez, now I realize I'm a KC junkie, haha... :D[/QUOTE]

Woke up to notification from Burning Shed (5.10 AM) that 'In The Court....' has been posted. How exciting!
That Australia Post Guy is not going to be happy.

Hooray, just discovered that the notice from BurningShed had arrived but ended up in the spam folder. Seems impossible to prevent that in Vista Mail, anybody in for a conspiration theory? :D

Aaaagggghhhhh.

The posty has just been, and no Red today. Now I have to wait until Monday!!!!!

(I'm in Melbourne, Australia. Red was posted by Burning Shed on Oct. 2, and it was not insured so I don't need to sign for it).

It would appear I don't know my cello from my oboe. :mad:@:

Mellotron.

My penance is my copy of RED isn't here yet. :mad:

Hmm. In the liner notes to the new "Red" (the only version I've ever had), Sid Smith writes, "The brooding cello section on 'Red' marked the first appearance since 1971 of guest players on a Crimson album."

Back