King Crimson in 5.1?!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My penance is my copy of RED isn't here yet. :mad:

Hasn't been banned in Tennessee as subversive, has it? Sorry to hear that though, especially since you're a long time fan. Fingers crossed that tomorrow night you'll have music to celebrate Friday :smokin

Not sure where to post this one but if you're a fan of KC and Mr. Fripp in particular you're gonna love this!

Toyah Wilcox - Fripp's wife, is a bit of a minor 80's indie pop queen in UK - she has a new band (featuring REM's Bill Rieflin on drums) called The Humans. Their debut album, "We Are The Humans," includes the Nancy Sinatra nugget, "These Boots Are Made For Walkin" featuring noneother than Robert Fripp on guitar - the video is a hoot and Fripp's expression (or lack thereof) is either a put on or the same exact frozen look that is featured on the bonus video footage from the Red DVD-A.

You must check this out;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-WLHXd7P0w

I just received an email in the am today for the Crimson In the Court cd/dvda set.
So by next weekend I'll be listening to more Crimson in surround!!! :banana:

This is so great, this is better than getting to watch Animal House the sequel with John Belushi in it. Don't know why I thought of this......

THANK YOU for the link! What a wonderful gathering of great talents in one place. Many heroes there for me, so glad this was thought of and carried out!!

How great this is....SW smiling is a bonus track unto itself.

Still waiting for mine to ship from Overstock.com:mad:
What does the trio version of "Red" sound like? seems it was pretty much just a trio version to begin with, with some cello (?) in the middle. Anybody ever figure out if that is indeed a cello in there or is it mellotron?

Rick

It's a cello (plus bass guitar) ; the 'uncredited' cello is finally noted in the notes to the new version (though IIRC it still doesn't say who played it)

Looks like an awesome time and would have loved to sit in the sweet spot for Lark's Tongues in Aspic! Any idea of the playback equipment used? I can't really tell from the photos, looks like quite a spread on the front speakers as I think I can only see the right and center. should have had some serious muscle on the subs for a room that size. I went to the Air Studios web site, http://www.airstudios.com, but couldn't find that particular room and it's equipment list. I know they do some consulting for Pioneer and at least one of the rooms has some of their TAD speakers, drool, but the ones in the photo didn't look like them.

Playback gear as follows:
Genelec 1031A x 5
Genelec 1092 (I think - from memory) Sub (yes, it is a monster too)
Playback off my Denon 3910 to an SPL Surround Controller, and from there via balanced TRS out to the active Genelecs.
All hired in.
Setting the spread was a bitch - hadto cover for 25 people per session, and in hindsight should have got in 10 of the genelecs, or even Adam Audio XS3A high end.
I found the genelecs a bit harsh compared to my Adams, as that ribbon tweeter makes such a difference in top end smoothness for me.

The room was Studio 1 - all gear was either mine or hired for the day

Thanks for the quick reply. I would think trying to set up a surround experience for that many people at once would be tough. I am not that familiar with the Genelecs but I guess since you rented them in easier to rent professional equipment than good home audio equipment unless you found a cooperative local audio store. Maybe time was a factor? Here is my suggestion for the next press release (if you give me a free copy of Lark's Tongues I will fly over and help you set it up :) )

Oh I guess something like this: http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2007/011407tad/

5 TAD Reference 1
Bunch of Pass big boys
At least 2 JL audio Fathom subs, better 4, one in each corner
Pioneer TSX59i as AV controller
Pioneer AV79i player connected via firewire.

TAD ought to pony up for the demo.

did you use HDMI or coaxial digital connection between player and controller? I am thinking the Denon doesn't pass DVD-A via HDMI but I could be wrong.

Was any of the mixing or mastering done at Air Studios or did you just pick them as a good place for playback and rented the room? I am sure THAT has been covered elsewhere.

Best you could do was donuts?????

:)

Hi Simon.
If we're talking either a decent budget or plenty of notice to blag something....
I'd still go with my Denon 3910 (HDMI is there, so is FireWire in D-Link & i-Link although I would personally never use FireWire under any circumstances as it is just too wobbly).
Either that, or maybe the new HHB UDP 89 player.
Amplification/Speakers? Adam Audio S7A MkII. 5 of these, with 2 Sub 24's.

For the last event, audio was analogue from the Denon (You cannot output DVDA via CoAxial or TOSlink in surround) into the SPL, and from there straight out at line level to the Genelecs.
Mixing of the 5.1 was done at Steven's studio, using Logic 7.
Mastering was done at mine using Nuendo/Universal Audio.

We used AIR for the playback as they are great people there - but have no 5.1 playback systems set up for that many people.

Donuts came from Robert - and were control room only.
Food/Drinkies/Buffet provided for the guests, of course.....

Hi Neil,

Of course, silly me, no DVD-A via toslink or coaxial, this is not the place but I am VERY happy with my firewire connection between the two Pioneer pieces and see no upgrade in the foreseeable future. the Pioneer does use some sort of quartz lock between the two and from what I have read is cleaner at least than HDMI III.

I have spent plenty of time in the U.K. but still am not sure what it means to "blag" something?

:)

I have Infinity Intermezzo 4.1 and 3.5 for fronts with a Van Alstine U70 tube amp and a pair of VMPS subs, Kef XQ1 in the rears, will get a good workout from these discs for sure.

if I win the lottery in the near future I will set up the demo for the U.S, press.

VMPS RM 40's all around with as many Krells as I and my friends can lift before we get tired..

coupla the larger subs.

Keg o Nice Chouffe and only 8 at a time...

O.K., sorry, didn't mean to thread hi-jack. the above is all just a rumor so it fits in with the thread.

I am just happy to be getting the first three before the end of the year but feel that Lark's Tongue is the pinnacle and wish I could have been there to hear the one track.

Looks like a great time was had by all!

Sorry if the question has been answered before...But why is this album not available in the US till the 20th?

Why do the Brits and everyone else get it so much earlier?

Back