Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you need this.jpg

Other than vinyl and updated stereo and 5.1 mixes, plus the new Atmos mix, I don't believe there is much if anything that's new in this 2024 release. In terms of the blu-ray alone, the 2015 Panegyric disc was way more packed, with hi-res stereo and surround content. Obviously the big box packaging with large format artwork and booklet could be considered a plus over the 2015 release. So, unless you really want Atmos, vinyl, lower res cd's and the packaging, the new release is not nearly as good value for money as the 2015 release, especially at the full list price. On the other hand, I've read a ton of positive reviews of the 2024 release who dismiss the blu-ray/surround content and rave about everything else. Also, on this site, it seems that everyone who has heard the new Atmos mix of Fragile says it's one of the best by Steven Wilson.

Personally, I think it stinks that Rhino decided to pack vinyl into these reissues, and also decided to reduce the blu-ray content over what was offered in the Panegyric reissues. They've also locked the Atmos and surround content in a big box. But Rhino doesn't care, they are going to do each of the Yes reissues this way, and they aren't going to change. It seems most reviewers don't really care either - unless they are one of the few who appreciate surround and hi-res audio.

I think Rhino is pricing these sets way too high, but if you are willing to wait a bit, these can be had for ~40% off list price - about what the list price should have been to begin with. I think if you don't have an Atmos setup, and don't care for vinyl, you might be better off tracking down a copy of the 2015 Panegyric release. However, if you do bite on this for whatever reasons, just keep in mind you will be paying a premium price for it even at 40% off.

Other than vinyl and updated stereo and 5.1 mixes, plus the new Atmos mix, I don't believe there is much if anything that's new in this 2024 release. In terms of the blu-ray alone, the 2015 Panegyric disc was way more packed, with hi-res stereo and surround content. Obviously the big box packaging with large format artwork and booklet could be considered a plus over the 2015 release. So, unless you really want Atmos, vinyl, lower res cd's and the packaging, the new release is not nearly as good value for money as the 2015 release, especially at the full list price. On the other hand, I've read a ton of positive reviews of the 2024 release who dismiss the blu-ray/surround content and rave about everything else. Also, on this site, it seems that everyone who has heard the new Atmos mix of Fragile says it's one of the best by Steven Wilson.

Personally, I think it stinks that Rhino decided to pack vinyl into these reissues, and also decided to reduce the blu-ray content over what was offered in the Panegyric reissues. They've also locked the Atmos and surround content in a big box. But Rhino doesn't care, they are going to do each of the Yes reissues this way, and they aren't going to change. It seems most reviewers don't really care either - unless they are one of the few who appreciate surround and hi-res audio.

I think Rhino is pricing these sets way too high, but if you are willing to wait a bit, these can be had for ~40% off list price - about what the list price should have been to begin with. I think if you don't have an Atmos setup, and don't care for vinyl, you might be better off tracking down a copy of the 2015 Panegyric release. However, if you do bite on this for whatever reasons, just keep in mind you will be paying a premium price for it even at 40% off.
You mention updated stereo and 5.1 mixes. I was not aware of that. Both are new for 2024? If so, that might be a selling point to many, if the 2024 stereo and 5.1 are "better" than the 2015.
Better being subjective in music...

You mention updated stereo and 5.1 mixes. I was not aware of that. Both are new for 2024? If so, that might be a selling point to many, if the 2024 stereo and 5.1 are "better" than the 2015.
Better being subjective in music...
From what I've read, both the stereo remix and 5.1 mixes are supposed to be updated 2024 mixes from SW. He said that he's learned a lot between now and 2015, and is approaching surround mixes, including Atmos, a bit differently than he used to. However, I have not seen any specific discussion or comparison between these, so whether they are noticeably "better" is anyone's guess.

I did reluctantly purchase this box set when the 40% discount hit, but have not had any time to do anything but briefly sample the new Atmos mix, which does sound terrific. The artwork on the box is also pretty spectacular - it almost allows me to "forget" that a vinyl LP is lurking in there. :rolleyes:

From what I've read, both the stereo remix and 5.1 mixes are supposed to be updated 2024 mixes from SW. He said that he's learned a lot between now and 2015, and is approaching surround mixes, including Atmos, a bit differently than he used to. However, I have not seen any specific discussion or comparison between these, so whether they are noticeably "better" is anyone's guess.

"Slightly tweaked", according to him.

"I think that we are all circling the drain, some faster than others."
Now, that is funny, or maybe not so much depending on where you are in the timeline.
Still, I prefer to think we will end up in spatial bliss.

Regarding the Rhino Yes Fragile release, no question about it, I don't want the vinyl. However, I did pick up the super deluxe edition from ImportCDs for just under $74, along with the Rhino SDE of The Yes Album at the same time. These are not only seminal albums, they are masterpieces in my book and worthy of the shelf space. Of course it is great to have all the large artwork too. I think the Atmos mixes are definitive on each of these versions, so I do believe the value is there for fans of the band.

At long last!
Billy Joel - Piano Man 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition
7" Form Factor from Sony Japan - SACD - CD - DVD

Great review as usual except for one thing, you didn't mention that the DVD is not viewable in the US and Europe, as we are locked out because it is coded to the Asian region, unless you have an illegally hacked player.

Great review as usual except for one thing, you didn't mention that the DVD is not viewable in the US and Europe, as we are locked out because it is coded to the Asian region, unless you have an illegally hacked player.
I use a hardware unlock on my OPPO. So far as I know, there is nothing illegal about it.

Back