Listening Now To This Stereo Blu Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1420.jpeg

David Bowie -
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars

The remix sounds great to me in 24/96 stereo. Haven’t played the original in so long I couldn’t tell what the mixing differences might be, though I don’t recall the drums being as full and punchy and his voice seems more prominent and exposed (in a good way).
And I’d forgotten what a great album this is.
it’s a shame they chose cheap cardboard packaging.

IMG_1430.jpeg

Seal - Seal II

Kiss From a Rose is the only song I knew going in, but the whole album is very strong. The sound in 24/48 is fine if a little gritty in places.
The bonus disc with alternate versions and B-Sides is great too including a cool version of Fly Like An Eagle.

IMG_1433.jpeg

Ultravox - Lament

Though not as strong as preceding albums IMO there are some great tracks here. The 24/96 stereo sound is good especially on the bonus tracks and 12” remixes.

A teensy bit of buyers remorse though, this SDE Bluray wasn’t cheap and I have the big box set on the way. This SDE is light on content; I discover now that there are only two unique tracks here vs. the box, and no instrumental version (+ the Atmos option is of no interest to me). No biggie in the long run, my bad for not doing my homework before buying.

Last edited:
IMG_1435.jpeg

Howard Jones - Dream Into Action

No sophomore slump with this album. Better songs and more interesting production vs his debut (which was also excellent).
Very good sound in 24/96 stereo, hope more HJ is in the pipeline.

IMG_1436.jpeg

Thin Lizzy - 1976

The remixes in 24/48 sound great in stereo. Compared a few snippets of Boys to the original mix included here. More open but overall pretty close. Could happily listen to either.
Jailbreak is a great album, my CD copy has seen a fair amount of play so it’s familiar.
Johnny the Fox is a pleasant surprise. Though I have it on vinyl it’s only been played once eons ago. This is an excellent album. At least as good as Jailbreak IMO (maybe better). The remix is a much bigger improvement than on Jailbreak.
Always nice having the instrumental mixes too.

Last edited:
IMG_1452.jpeg

Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs

Love this album and the remix sounds great in stereo 24/48 LPCM. The remaster of the original isn’t good unfortunately. The bonus tracks are good but repetitive. The live material though welcome is kinda rough .
And as always I appreciate the inclusion of the album as an instrumental.

IMG_1495.jpeg

Al Stewart - Past, Present & Future

Was aware of this album and the reputation of some of its songs, but this was my first time hearing it.
Great record !
Sound in 24/96 LPCM on the Bluray is very clear, maybe slightly too detailed.
The live recordings (on CD) are excellent.

PS, this cover may suit the music but prefer the North American version.

Back